shape
carat
color
clarity

Help-----Is this diamond a good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xia3883

Rough_Rock
I viewed the diamond at a shop, the price is a little over 13000, the owner claim the stone is a hearts and arrows. Here is the spec:
GIA certification:
Round Brilliant

Measurements: 7.05 - 7.09 x 4.41 mm

Carat Weight: 1.37

Color Grade: F

Clarity Grade: VS1

Cut Grade: Very Good

Proportions:

Depth: 62.4 %

Table: 57 %

Crown Angle: 35°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43 %

Star length: 50 %

Lower Half: 75 %

Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

It is definitly looks better compare to other stones, However, Can a GIA VG cut be considered H&A? I did look through a H&A scope, but it is so tiny, there isn''t much magnification. I can see the arrows very well, but the hearts are not that clear. I can see the hearts, but the boarder is not very clear. I don''t know if this is due to the position of the stone or the lighting.
Is this a good buy?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

The diamond score 1.8 on the Cut Adviser. (pull down the Tools menu and you can enter any round specs and get a performance review for that cut) 1.8 is a great score. It should be very sparkly and beautiful.

Is it a good deal? Not really. If you use the Pricescope Your Diamond tool at the top of the page and enter in your specs (although I entered in F,G color and VS1, VS2 clarity with 1.35 to 1.40 ct) you''ll see tons of stones that are at least 2-3000 less. The vendors on Pricescope are very trusted. You can do a search for specific reviews of vendors here, too.

If you would feel comfortable buying online, you''ll be able to get a better deal, but the diamond you listed should be outstanding.

Good Luck!

xia3883

Rough_Rock
Can a GIA VG Cut stone be a H&A stone? I think there is a premium on H&A stone. Am I right?

zerj

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 12:52:39 PM
Author: xia3883
Can a GIA VG Cut stone be a H&A stone? I think there is a premium on H&A stone. Am I right?

That seems like a good question. However I think the problems with the question are in the definitions of "Hearts and Arrow's" and "Very Good" cut.

I don't know that GIA uses the Hearts and Arrows term in thier grading. I'm not sure I've seen any concrete definition of "Hearts and Arrows" So what exactly does your jeweler mean by "Hearts and Arrows"? If you can see 8 roughly heartlike shapes that are not all the same size/proportions is that a hearts and arrows stone? I suspect most people on this forum would say no, but it seems debatable. I'm a pretty skeptical person by nature so I suppose your jeweler could have very good standards. My mind goes to some guy in the alleyway trying to sell you a stone where his definition of H+A is that it has 8 vaguely heart shapes viewed from the bottom and 8 bent arrow like shapes viewed from the top. So it technically does have Hearts and Arrows just very ugly ones :)

More importantly the complete definition of a Very Good cut is also an unknown. I thought I remember AGS won't grade thier stone a '0' (Ideal) cut if the polish was not highly rated. So for that lab a perfectly proportioned stone with a nice hearts and arrow pattern could have its cut grade lowered because its surface was dull. This hypothetical stone would show a nice hearts and arrows pattern but have a lower cut grade.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results