shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is this a good cut?

SillyBallIsMe

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

Would love your thoughts on this stone, will it give a lot of brilliance and fire?
I am a bit worried about the 59% table and I looked up the score map, it seems fall in the "1"zone, how "bad" is "1" compared with "0"? :confused:

Round, H, VVS2, 1.4ct, none fluorescence
Table 59%
Depth 61.4%
Crown angle 35
Pavilion angle 40.6
Crown height 14.5%
Pavilion height 43%
Girdle 4.5%

Your help is very appreciated. Thanks! =)2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is more so just nitpicking than anything else:

The crown and pavilion angles are a great pairing.
The crown height at 14.5% is what I consider absolute minimum, with 15-15.5% being ideal, and 16% being absolute max.
Overall depth is good - I prefer 59-62.5%.
The table size concern me a little since I prefer a tight range of 55-57%, with 58% being my preferred maximum.
What is the lower girdle percentage? If it's between 75-78%, then it would be what I consider an acceptable measurement.
Do you have a screenshot of the certification report that you can post?

SillyBallIsMe

Rough_Rock
This is more so just nitpicking than anything else:

The crown and pavilion angles are a great pairing.
The crown height at 14.5% is what I consider absolute minimum, with 15-15.5% being ideal, and 16% being absolute max.
Overall depth is good - I prefer 59-62.5%.
The table size concern me a little since I prefer a tight range of 55-57%, with 58% being my preferred maximum.
What is the lower girdle percentage? If it's between 75-78%, then it would be what I consider an acceptable measurement.
Do you have a screenshot of the certification report that you can post?

Thanks for your reply! =)2
This is what i have:

1624378712010.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the additional info, @SillyBallIsMe

The LGF of 75% is awesome.

Have you plugged in the measurements into the HCA?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I've put it on hold! Really appreciated your replies and help! :)

Check out this post that resident cut guru sledge made a little earlier today regarding table width and reflection:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Severe angle variations. Look 1130 and 530 between the arrows. Some leakage. 85/100.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Severe angle variations. Look 1130 and 530 between the arrows. Some leakage. 85/100.

65/100 same reason.

Is this due to the size variations in the culet area and arrows?
Is this symmetry issues or photography/camera alignment issues?
GIA symmetry is graded as Excellent, so I'm curious as to what your take is on this, @flyingpig and @Karl_K

stillsymmetry2.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but dont love it. Maybe 80/100 for me

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

SillyBallIsMe

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone!

Just being a bit frustrated trying to find the best possible combination. ;(

Wondering if I get the perfect numbers of all those measurements, will it guarantee a good cut? Even though the image showing very unsymmetrical arrows .....should i look at numbers or the image/video?

Thanks again.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this due to the size variations in the culet area and arrows?
Is this symmetry issues or photography/camera alignment issues?
GIA symmetry is graded as Excellent, so I'm curious as to what your take is on this, @flyingpig and @Karl_K

stillsymmetry2.jpg

look between the arrows.
The lower halves\girdle facets are twisted to get ex sym with wide ranging mains.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
look between the arrows.
The lower halves\girdle facets are twisted to get ex sym with wide ranging mains.

So the short and sweet version is that it's a lackluster cut with some cheating involved to pop an excellent symmetry grading, if I'm understanding it correctly?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the short and sweet version is that it's a lackluster cut with some cheating involved to pop an excellent symmetry grading, if I'm understanding it correctly?

I guess I agree that the cutter "cheated". He really pushed it and got the Ex grading for cut and symmetry.

Is it lackluster? Well.... I am a bit lenient and I have seen Tiffany diamonds (which were beautiful) having these issues. Am I loving it? No. But it is still a GIA ex with ideal nunbers (with variations). Therefore I say 85, Karl says 65, and sledge says 80.

SillyBallIsMe

Rough_Rock
I guess I agree that the cutter "cheated". He really pushed it and got the Ex grading for cut and symmetry.

Is it lackluster? Well.... I am a bit lenient and I have seen Tiffany diamonds (which were beautiful) having these issues. Am I loving it? No. But it is still a GIA ex with ideal nunbers (with variations). Therefore I say 85, Karl says 65, and sledge says 80.

Thank you for your reply!

Does that mean even with the perfect idea numbers, the stone's cut could still be off...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your reply!

Does that mean even with the perfect idea numbers, the stone's cut could still be off...
yes.
There is no one bit of data that by itself is going to tell you a diamond is awesome.
A ags0 cut grade from ags comes close but there are some questionable combos and it does not take in account clarity.

An ideal scope or ASET image is also close also but has the same issue as the ags0 cut grade.

A video while much better than just a report is probably next in line. It is hard to draw definitive facts from a video so its a very subjective opinion. Large defects are easy to see, small ones much harder.

A good return policy is a safe guard that you want to have.

So what you do is gather enough data that your comfortable with the purchase. Get help interpreting it here as needed.
What makes someone comfortable will vary person to person.

SillyBallIsMe

Rough_Rock
yes.
There is no one bit of data that by itself is going to tell you a diamond is awesome.
A ags0 cut grade from ags comes close but there are some questionable combos and it does not take in account clarity.

An ideal scope or ASET image is also close also but has the same issue as the ags0 cut grade.

A video while much better than just a report is probably next in line. It is hard to draw definitive facts from a video so its a very subjective opinion. Large defects are easy to see, small ones much harder.

A good return policy is a safe guard that you want to have.

So what you do is gather enough data that your comfortable with the purchase. Get help interpreting it here as needed.
What makes someone comfortable will vary person to person.

Thank you!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think the others got the cut quality on the original stone covered. In short, there are better buys to be had, so I'd put my money elsewhere if I were you.

Budget of 16,124 CAD = $13,100 USD. I believe taxes & duties to Canada is 5%, so this further reduces the available dollars to $13,100 / 1.05 = $12,476 USD for purchase.

The above in mind, here are some other options.

WF ACA 1.565 H-VS2 @ $13,444 wire

I know. About $1,000 over budget, but if you have liquidity in your budget, this pushes you over the 1.50 carat mark and gets you from 7.10mm to 7.50mm+! Super ideal with all the pedigree, so no worries on performance.

WF ACA 1.340 H-VS2 @ $11,608 wire

A little under budget. Again, super ideal with all the pedigree. Despite the drop in carat weight, the stone is better balanced proportion wise, and you are still getting the 7.10mm diameter as the larger 1.40 BN stone.

WF ACA 1.361 F-VS2 @ $12,984 wire

I tend to look at the long term picture, more than the short term so being only $500 over budget wouldn't bother me. But I know we all have different constraints & tolerance levels. Again, super ideal with all the pedigree. Same 7.10mm diameter, but a color bump to F!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results