shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in Dallas, bad Jared experience

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Here is my Jared story.

My brother who lives in BOISE Idaho of all places contacted me to get @Wink s contact information so he could finally buy his wife a diamond ering after 20 years of marriage.

I thought that he had some brains because he is an engineer for HP.
He was overruled by my SIL who wanted a ring from Jared instead. I have seen her ring, not frozen spit but not CBI quality either.

She doesn't even know what she missed!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but when I picked it up (sized) the jeweler (who is our town’s bench) has a bunch of questions about it because he had never seen such an amazing diamond in a while. Lol. He wanted to know all the specs.

See, that's a pleasant interaction. Just because they don't sell it, why be crappy? That's a good conversation you had!

Most of my stuff is old. Some have newly made settings, but the stones are antique. If I drop something for repair or sizing, it's more surprise that someone wants to wear what I have. It's more confusion that I don't have "new" stuff.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She doesn't even know what she missed!

Yes she knows, she has seen and complimented all of my jewelry from Winfield's/High Performance Diamonds. She even knows that I went to Wink's house for dinner when visiting her and her daughter's family in Boise (actually Nampa and Kuna). But she wanted to go to Jared's because she could pick out a mounting right there and didn't have to wait. She's not the brightest bulb around.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think driving to Houston to Whiteflash would be a good idea. Look at settings at C.M. Yater or Diamonds Direct as @KKJohnson suggested. I quit going to Fuller's after they chipped one of my diamonds fixing a crappy setting job they did. For repairs and sizing, I go to Adore Bijoux in Plano. They also have a nice selection of settings and they do custom work. Of course you can do everything from stone to settings with High Performance Diamonds as well.
I didn't know that's who you were speaking about! I've been impressed thus far with their bench's work, but this makes me rethink that. Thanks for speaking up!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP- Southwest Diamond cutters also has a jewelry designer in house. I have never tried them, but based on how impressed I am with Ashley, their cutter, I would consider using them for settings.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know that's who you were speaking about! I've been impressed thus far with their bench's work, but this makes me rethink that. Thanks for speaking up!
I think they have more than one benchperson. I've had some good results, but one that was enough to send me running!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@CBPearllover If you drive down here to Houston, of course go to Whiteflash to purchase your diamond. However, if you want to try on a variety of different cuts, settings, etc, I highly recommend Zadok's for the variety/inventory and also their upscale vibe and excellent customer service. Zadok's will make Jared look like Walmart. You can try on loads of lovely, classy rings, and be given water and even a glass of wine while you browse. (And they have boatloads of gorgeous Mikimoto AAA pearls too! I've spent hours just trying them on! LOL). Also the Tiffany's at The Galleria is the third largest in the country and I've always been treated well there, even when I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Just don't purchase your diamond from these two stores, while they have very high quality diamonds, they are overpriced and the diamonds are a wee fraction below super-ideal cuts like Whiteflash & CBI.

https://www.zadok.com/

Oh and if you want to see gorgeous estate and high-end vintage/antique, (OEC's, etc) go to Tenenbaum. (But don't buy from them as they are overpriced as well.)
https://www.tenenbaumjewelers.com

No matter where you go to look at jewelry, however, always dress your best. If for no other reason, it will make YOU feel beautiful. Sometimes we need that extra little "umph" for our own sake, to stand up straight and hold our beautiful heads high, even when a salesperson treats us poorly.

You are not alone in being dismissed by a salesperson while diamond shopping. I had a TERRIBLE experience at the DeBeer's store in Houston. The saleswomen treated my husband and I like children who were only pretending to shop for an expensive diamond (even though we were dressed impeccably and I had on a gorgeous AAA Miki necklace and earrings.)

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yes she knows, she has seen and complimented all of my jewelry from Winfield's/High Performance Diamonds. She even knows that I went to Wink's house for dinner when visiting her and her daughter's family in Boise (actually Nampa and Kuna). But she wanted to go to Jared's because she could pick out a mounting right there and didn't have to wait. She's not the brightest bulb around.

I'm going to say in my best southern drawl: Bless her heart.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I am a fanboy for BGD, so we can get that in the open right away.
OP, if you take the Houston trip, :dance:go to BGD. Call Lesley in advance to show you stones and settings that you might like.

One other point, OP you state you are a long time lurker here. Why are you surprised about your Jared experience? There are tons of posts on PS warning you about uneducated sales people and their diamonds and settings are garbage.

If you are a true long time lurker, people on this forum are buying online to save money and get great quality, images you cannot get from the brick and mortar stores.

Good luck.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard someone say once that they had heard that there was a high-end hand-forger here, but I've never been able to chase down any more details on that. Has anyone else heard this? Should I start asking random jewelers? Between this being a major city and the jewelry college down in Paris, you'd think we'd be able to find reliable, skilled jewelers more easily. I'd settle for someone who can do nice claw prongs on stock settings!

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpg
    IMG_5491.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 31

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I vote against the trip to Houston, Dallas is a major city with 2 Tiffany stores and probably many local jewelers. You can get a ton of information about style and size preference in Dallas without the added cost and time of travel.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go to Houston, we can split the gas :twisted2: :lol: I wouldn’t mind make a trip just to try out new jewelry stores.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We visited a Kay Outlet in Tennessee and as my daughter and I looked around, I asked if they could steam clean my ring (I did not mention it is platinum). The clerk looked at it and sniffed that they can't put silver or costume jewelry in their cleaner.
why are people so dam rude
i mean assuming it was silver or costume
and then so what if it was
how do they know how much money you have for your next purchase

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
why are people so dam rude
i mean assuming it was silver or costume
and then so what if it was
how do they know how much money you have for your next purchase

This kind of behavior shows how little training the sales associates get. The weight and color didn't clue the person in, nor did they bother to look for a stamp before making this ridiculous comment. They might as well be selling screws or potatoes.

OP, enjoy your shopping experience with the quality jeweler of your choice and please share pictures!

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I'm so overwhelmed, but in the best kind of way for a nerd like me. I had a surprise appendix surgery:shock:, so I need to find time to sift through all your answers. I'm so lucky I found this forum! :love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I'm so overwhelmed, but in the best kind of way for a nerd like me. I had a surprise appendix surgery:shock:, so I need to find time to sift through all your answers. I'm so lucky I found this forum! :love:

Oh no! Feel better soon. Sorry you're sick!

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
I know its been a few week since I've posted on this tread, but I wanted to thank you all again for your valuable information! The recommendations for bench jewelers, stores to browse, and your stories with your shopping experiences, they are all so helpful! I'm all healed up, and we actually managed to go to Diamond's Direct last weekend to look at settings and cuts of diamond. I don't think this is where we want to purchase, but we received excellent customer service and my SIL really knows what she's looking for now.

So what we decided are these things: 1) She loves round brilliant, and is NOT color sensitive when it comes to warm diamonds. When compared to other higher colored diamonds in a variety of lighting, she agreed there was a subtle difference. But she thought the K and M colored stones were beautiful. (YES! Super ideal here we come!). 2) She prefers a split shank infinity style on the sides, with melee diamonds on both bands. She doesn't like one metal and one diamond band entwined, and wants the thickness of the sides of the band to match the width of the halo for "balance". 3) She likes a round halo, which is slightly recessed below the girdle, and is visible but subtle when viewed overhead. 4) She likes yellow gold in a lighter shade, so 14k over 18k. 5) She does not like a very high profile to the ring. Whew!

We recently discussed her options. The setting she liked best at DD was a little over $3,700, ouch. It was very nice, but our budget is between 4-5K. We were hoping to keep the setting under $2,500, and maybe purchase a diamond between $1,700 and $2,300 depending on setting cost. She's more concerned with being pleased with the whole ring overall vs. needing the biggest center stone possible. I told her about David Klass, and we could get a quote and CAD design to see if they could meet her preferences. Obviously the cost of the setting would determine how much center stone she could get. I found 4 wonderful warm diamonds on BGD, and probably the closest thing matching her setting on Brilliant Earth:

https://www.brilliantearth.com/Entwined-Halo-Diamond-Ring-(1/3-ct.-tw.)-Gold-BE1D6810-2341946/
*If the twist was thicker/looser, and could be made in 14K instead of 18k*

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-ags-c-104107226003#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/
*Great little stone, wish it was bigger!*

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.685-k-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104101026064
*Not sure about what's going on with this one's ASET on the corners, maybe not this one*

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.730-k-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104107226007
*I think I can see the feather in this one's video*

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-ec-104105166037#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-ec-104105166022#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

So how do you wise Jewelry Godmothers (and Fathers :D) recommend I advise her? She seems to think getting a quote from DK, and possibly having a setting made out of state, is too much of a hassle. I explained their excellent reputation, and how it might stretch her budget. I've crept on his Instagram account and wow! Our favorite diamonds so far are at Brian Gavin (they seem to have more warm colored diamonds), but I have the impression their custom settings might be more than DK. We went through their setting selection online, and nothing meshed up. She agreed to go to Spence Diamonds this weekend, someone posted about their extensive setting selection (2,500 :shock:). I'll take her to as many places as she wants, but if she knows what she wants.... I say just have someone make you EXACTLY what you want? Thank you for your help!

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Yes I have! I did some comparisons between a few of their diamonds. They have some great stones, and I love how you can see the ASETs all side by side. To be honest with you, sometimes that same website drives me insane. I clicked over from your link just now, and when I tried to pull up the lab report it froze. I refreshed the page just now, and it's still frozen up. I know their stones are exceptional, and when their website works its great, but it frequently times out and crashes on me. Since I'm not in town, browsing online helps.

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
@CBPearllover can you try a different web browser? I recently had to switch from Explorer to Firefox in order to get some websites to work correctly :geek2:

Huh, you know that might work! I'm on a Chromebook, I can try on another computer and see if it behaves longer. Have you shopped at Whiteflash? I know everyone who goes there is in love

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you shopped at Whiteflash? I know everyone who goes there is in love
Over the last couple years I've purchased five ACAs: one for a solitaire ring, two for earrings, and two loose that turned out to be too warm for me and I ended up returning. I used Liza for all my purchases and she was amazing each time =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results