shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in Dallas, bad Jared experience

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Good evening! I'm a long-time Pricescope lurker, and recently new to join and contribute. I want to start by thanking the multitude of experts and gem lovers who have contributed their knowledge to this forum. It's an invaluable resource, I'm grateful!

So I'm in the process of helping my future sister-in-law (YEA!!) begin the engagement ring selection process. She sent me a myriad of Google images with 6 types of diamond cut, and almost as many setting styles. So she basically admitted she kind of liked EVERYTHING :roll: Well, my brother would love to get her everything, but she really needs to thin out the list. In a failed attempt to help her, I went into a local Jared store thinking we might have a great time trying on rings and getting information. It's been over 10 years since I've been into a jewelry store, because of babies, and sleep deprivation, and stuff. And I feed my pearl addiction exclusively online :D

Well..... I guess it could have been worse. But it wasn't great, or even good. I'm still a little confused about my experience. Our first sales associate was reluctant to even help us, and the store was dead. I know my SIL is young, and I didn't realize until later I had marker or some other B.S. on my white shirt (stupid kids). But hey, we have CASH MONEY. That's all that matters right? She gave us incorrect information, saying Cushion was one of the more expensive cuts. She didn't want my SIL to try Emerald cut, saying "they look to small for the cut, she won't like it." ??? How can you know if you like something unless you see it in person? And one of her worst flubs, I asked to see their best cut of round brilliant. I'm not sure if they're called Leo or what, but she really REALLY didn't want us to go to that case in the store. She immediately started looking around, seemed uncomfortable, and muttered something about those are "too expensive." And keep in mind, I hadn't given a dollar amount regarding our budget. Do they make a higher mark-up on the poorly cut stones? Why wouldn't they want to show us their best stuff? I told them cut was very important to us. After we looked at a underwhelming 2ct diamond, she passed us off to another guy who patiently let us try on settings.

So question: Are brick and mortar chain stores like this now? I remember in the 90's and early 2000's, I had GREAT experiences in Jared and Zales stores. What happened?

Another question: We live in the Dallas area. We have a private jeweler, Kazlows, who I've used for 2 engagement rings and a wedding band. I'm the kind of person who knows quickly what they're looking for, but my SIL needs variety. Our jeweler pulls a variety of stones and settings based on your requests, and at the appointment you make your selection. I feel like we need a larger store in this situation, but I'm not going into another chain. My SIL took the whole thing in stride, but I'm disappointed. Should I just plan a road trip and drive her to Whiteflash?? It's about a 4 hour drive, if traffic is kind. I've never been, but these rave reviews have me intrigued. I possibly have her down to round and cushion, but she hasn't seen every cut yet. I think there's a Crafted by Infinity dealer in town as well, if I sell her on round cut. Thanks for your time, I wrote a lot, didn't I?:lol:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also in Dallas. Either take her to Whiteflash or see if you can get a CBI brought in for her to took at. The only jeweler I use in the area is Fullers, and that’s only for small things I need done (a stone unset, prongs checked, etc).

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reply! Is that the Fuller's in Addison? I need a great bench jeweler to help set stones. The colored stone forum has be planning like :read:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jared is a disaster, definitely don't go there expecting anything other than lies and BS.

4 hour drive is totally worth it for WF!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
My two cents. I agree with the Whiteflash recommendation. If she truly has NO idea what shape or setting style she wants, you may want to check out Spence. There is one in West Village in Uptown and one at Legacy West in Plano. I would not necessarily buy there (they specialize more in MMD), BUT they have over 2,000 prototypes that you can try on without having them open the cases. At least that way she can get a taste for styles that she likes, then purchase elsewhere. The associates aren’t as pushy as in the mall IMO, and it doesn’t cost to try stuff on and get an idea of size and shape.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
My two cents. I agree with the Whiteflash recommendation. If she truly has NO idea what shape or setting style she wants, you may want to check out Spence. There is one in West Village in Uptown and one at Legacy West in Plano. I would not necessarily buy there (they specialize more in MMD), BUT they have over 2,000 prototypes that you can try on without having them open the cases. At least that way she can get a taste for styles that she likes, then purchase elsewhere. The associates aren’t as pushy as in the mall IMO, and it doesn’t cost to try stuff on and get an idea of size and shape.

Then once she has narrowed it down, drive to Whiteflash with a better idea of specs. Can’t go wrong with what this board has to say. They are the best!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For diamonds and settings in Dallas, Mariloff is (or at least used to be) good - haven’t been in years but it’s where I got my engagement ring. I have never bought diamonds there but for repairs, major/common colored stones, and antiques (esp repairs on antiques) I go to Sergio’s in Casa Linda and several friends have gotten sapphire engagement rings there.

There are enough of us in the DFW area now that we should do a DFW get together.

ksage92

Rough_Rock
Have you checked for cheap flights to Houston via SW? Might be cost effective with the time savings (and driving headaches in TX).

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
For diamonds and settings in Dallas, Mariloff is (or at least used to be) good - haven’t been in years but it’s where I got my engagement ring. I have never bought diamonds there but for repairs, major/common colored stones, and antiques (esp repairs on antiques) I go to Sergio’s in Casa Linda and several friends have gotten sapphire engagement rings there.

There are enough of us in the DFW area now that we should do a DFW get together.
Have you been to Kube’s in Fort Worth? Wonder if the board has any thoughts on them.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to suggest you go to Diamonds Direct off Preston or Yaters, both have great customer service and will help with any budget. Maybe @Starfacet has some other suggestions for you!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to suggest you go to Diamonds Direct off Preston or Yaters, both have great customer service and will help with any budget. Maybe @Starfacet has some other suggestions for you!
I think driving to Houston to Whiteflash would be a good idea. Look at settings at C.M. Yater or Diamonds Direct as @KKJohnson suggested. I quit going to Fuller's after they chipped one of my diamonds fixing a crappy setting job they did. For repairs and sizing, I go to Adore Bijoux in Plano. They also have a nice selection of settings and they do custom work. Of course you can do everything from stone to settings with High Performance Diamonds as well.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you been to Kube’s in Fort Worth? Wonder if the board has any thoughts on them.
Skip Kubes. Best line from Kubes ever “our in house grading is better than GIA”.
I really question their bench...a friend of mine went in for a pretty basic repair and they told her the whole ring needed to be remade but “it wouldn’t look anything like before” *eyeroll*

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They made my mom cry so I am anti-them.
Omggggggggg!!!!! How RUDE. Sometimes I think I’m the only person local to them who is anti-Kubes. I don’t know how they got (and keep) such a great reputation.

OP, for trying on different shapes, sizes and styles you could try Bachendorfs or even Tiffany. Diamonds direct as KK said would be a good option too.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skip Kubes. Best line from Kubes ever “our in house grading is better than GIA”.
I really question their bench...a friend of mine went in for a pretty basic repair and they told her the whole ring needed to be remade but “it wouldn’t look anything like before” *eyeroll*

When my mom went in to get her wedding band repaired, they basically told her it was a piece of junk, nobody should keep chipped diamonds (it was an heirloom ring and had already been worn a bunch by the time my mother received it, with tiny antique cuts) and aggressively tried to upsell her on something from them, basically berated her while we stood there in shock, and when we walked out she started crying. The ONLY other times I've ever seen my mom cry were when her parents died. Then they were very rude in their reply to my yelp review. They were also very huffy when I said I preferred OECs to RBs - bizarre since they had a kind of large antique selection. This thread is one from shortly before my experience with them where a PSer had them lie to her. Also they send all their work out and do not do any there, so they aren't even qualified to answer questions about repairs.

When I'm checking out a jeweler without the range of example work I can see from PS favorites and popular online jewelers, I prefer to speak to the benchperson directly. A lot of jewelers don't take hi-res pics of their work but if you ask to see examples if you're going custom they will often show you what they have. So if they're thinking of getting something made here, that's something to keep in mind. Be sure to loupe all pave, etc. I recommend getting an olloscope or similar for your phone with the macro lenses so you can take pics, even.

Mariloff also has a lot of settings in the showroom. My engagement ring and wedding band were stock Mariloff settings that I had modified to have much thicker bands. I know other PSers used to go there back in the day. I always found them very helpful without being pushy - nothing spooks me away from a sale faster than a pushy salesperson! A funny anecdote: they deal almost exclusively in diamonds, but I did buy my sapphire for my engagement ring from them. When another local jeweler heard that, he said, "Really!?!? I wouldn't have expected [the owner] to be able to spot a good sapphire if you jammed it up his [redacted]!" I just laughed then, but I too would not be able to spot anything jammed up my [redacted], though I sure would know it was in there!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my mom went in to get her wedding band repaired, they basically told her it was a piece of junk, nobody should keep chipped diamonds (it was an heirloom ring and had already been worn a bunch by the time my mother received it, with tiny antique cuts) and aggressively tried to upsell her on something from them, basically berated her while we stood there in shock, and when we walked out she started crying. The ONLY other times I've ever seen my mom cry were when her parents died. Then they were very rude in their reply to my yelp review. They were also very huffy when I said I preferred OECs to RBs - bizarre since they had a kind of large antique selection. This thread is one from shortly before my experience with them where a PSer had them lie to her. Also they send all their work out and do not do any there, so they aren't even qualified to answer questions about repairs.

When I'm checking out a jeweler without the range of example work I can see from PS favorites and popular online jewelers, I prefer to speak to the benchperson directly. A lot of jewelers don't take hi-res pics of their work but if you ask to see examples if you're going custom they will often show you what they have. So if they're thinking of getting something made here, that's something to keep in mind. Be sure to loupe all pave, etc. I recommend getting an olloscope or similar for your phone with the macro lenses so you can take pics, even.

Mariloff also has a lot of settings in the showroom. My engagement ring and wedding band were stock Mariloff settings that I had modified to have much thicker bands. I know other PSers used to go there back in the day. I always found them very helpful without being pushy - nothing spooks me away from a sale faster than a pushy salesperson! A funny anecdote: they deal almost exclusively in diamonds, but I did buy my sapphire for my engagement ring from them. When another local jeweler heard that, he said, "Really!?!? I wouldn't have expected [the owner] to be able to spot a good sapphire if you jammed it up his [redacted]!" I just laughed then, but I too would not be able to spot anything jammed up my [redacted], though I sure would know it was in there!
boo hiss :x2 the way they were so rude to your mom

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As suggested above, perhaps you can find a cheap SW flight to HOU and visit WF. I’ve been very happy with my WF purchase. I have never been to Mariloff, but worked with three women who bought rings there and they were all happy. I have been to Bock (same owner as Bachendorf) but you may need to be a little further along in the process. Their stock is mostly in safes instead of displays, you make an appt, give them your specs and budget and they will show you diamonds that fit your needs. You can ask for Dennis Deutsch (214) 692-9000. Because they are part of Bachendorfs they can order most settings or do a custom setting. For repairs I use Eaton Custom Jewelers in Plano as they have a laser welder and do repairs onsite. They have diamonds and settings and would be happy to help you, but it is mostly RBs so if you want to see all shapes you may want to call first to confirm what they have on hand. Good luck and I hope your next shopping experience is much, much better!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Several of us get together frequently. My bling-related email is on LT under the Other tab, page 4, if you want to get in touch!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
We visited a Kay Outlet in Tennessee and as my daughter and I looked around, I asked if they could steam clean my ring (I did not mention it is platinum). The clerk looked at it and sniffed that they can't put silver or costume jewelry in their cleaner.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt see it mentioned but i think whote flash has predominately round + a few princess stones only. If she doesn't know whay shape she likes yet, +1 on the recommendation to visit diamonds direct if there is one nearby. No excuse for the treatment you recieved...!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be worth it to drive anywhere to have a better experience, but Crafted by Infinity has a person in Dallas, so if you called Wink at High Performance Diamonds, he probably could arrange a viewing in Dallas for you at an affiliate jeweler. I think @Wewechew brought this up.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We visited a Kay Outlet in Tennessee and as my daughter and I looked around, I asked if they could steam clean my ring (I did not mention it is platinum). The clerk looked at it and sniffed that they can't put silver or costume jewelry in their cleaner.

Oh man!!! That is crazy bad. But my local jewelery clerk asked if my CBI was clarity enhanced lol because that is all they see here.... and cluster rings made to look like one big ring.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh man!!! That is crazy bad. But my local jewelery clerk asked if my CBI was clarity enhanced lol because that is all they see here.... and cluster rings made to look like one big ring.

LOL, I'd imagine a CBI is pretty otherworldly to the world of meh cuts and cluster rings. I love watching the CBI videos and I drool. I can't afford one now, but sometime in the future, one would-be diamond goals.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I'd imagine a CBI is pretty otherworldly to the world of meh cuts and cluster rings. I love watching the CBI videos and I drool. I can't afford one now, but sometime in the future, one would-be diamond goals.

Yes, but when I picked it up (sized) the jeweler (who is our town’s bench) has a bunch of questions about it because he had never seen such an amazing diamond in a while. Lol. He wanted to know all the specs.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my Jared story.

My brother who lives in BOISE Idaho of all places contacted me to get @Wink s contact information so he could finally buy his wife a diamond ering after 20 years of marriage.

I thought that he had some brains because he is an engineer for HP.
He was overruled by my SIL who wanted a ring from Jared instead. I have seen her ring, not frozen spit but not CBI quality either.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Here is my Jared story.

My brother who lives in BOISE Idaho of all places contacted me to get @Wink s contact information so he could finally buy his wife a diamond ering after 20 years of marriage.

I thought that he had some brains because he is an engineer for HP.
He was overruled by my SIL who wanted a ring from Jared instead. I have seen her ring, not frozen spit but not CBI quality either.

Marketing clearly works...In my area there is this store called the Gold and Diamond Source. Really annoying commercials. They have their ads in the bins of airport security. But folks think they are a great place because of the ads.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results