shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in asking her father

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JamesTheRod

Rough_Rock
I''m planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the next few weeks, but want to talk to her parents about it first, and ask their blessing/permission/whatever you want to call it. They are very traditional, and I really feel like I need to do this. I am pretty close to them.

Here''s the problem. They just moved about a month ago about 800 miles away. I really kind of want to do it in person, but I just don''t have the money or time to fly down there, and don''t have the time to drive down. I''ve been thinking about maybe doing it over the phone. Is this ok? Any other ideas, or suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/6/2003 10:43:47 AM JamesTheRod wrote:
I'm planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me in the next few weeks, but want to talk to her parents about it first, and ask their blessing/permission/whatever you want to call it. They are very traditional, and I really feel like I need to do this. I am pretty close to them.

Here's the problem. They just moved about a month ago about 800 miles away. I really kind of want to do it in person, but I just don't have the money or time to fly down there, and don't have the time to drive down. I've been thinking about maybe doing it over the phone. Is this ok? Any other ideas, or suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks.----------------
I did it over the phone. If you are close to them and they like you, I doubt it will be a problem. They ought to understand about the distance.

jswhigham

Rough_Rock
The phone works!

I summoned up the courage to call my girl's mother.
We had a wonderful,honest conversation in which she gave me
her blessing!
appl.gif

I had struggled with whether or not I would ask for her blessing. I can't adequately express how happy I am that I chose to do so. It should help to allay some of the nervousness I'll experience when I propose
this weekend.
I could tell from our conversation that it meant a lot to her that I asked her. If I had asked via letter her reaction would have been harder to gauge and more importantly we could not have had the great dialog that we had.

Scott Whigham

techpreacher

Rough_Rock
Honestly, Put yourself in their parents position... show them how much you really love her and are committed to her. Save your money and ask them. Starve yourself if you have to ... honestly if you really love her and you want their blessing then you should ask them...

jswhigham

Rough_Rock
It is sad to me that some people would put petty pride in the way of performing a simple gesture of love.
In this day and age I agree that there should be no obligation to ask permission or a blessing, but that is not the point. In my opinion it is a token of love and respect.
I would never think less of someone for not asking and there are definately situations where it would not be good to ask, but I hope people will seriously consider it. They may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results