shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I can't spend too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

future_ex_single

Rough_Rock
Hi. I am a grad student and will be finishing school this June. As many of you know, being a student implies that I am economically impaired. I love my girlfriend and would love to buy her the best ring money can buy, but unfortunately that is currently not an option. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade it in a few years. That's why I need advice on which ring I should get for $2000 or less. I live in CA... is there any stores around here I should take a look at?

Thanks so so so much.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Where do you live in CA?

What shape diamond are you looking for? What are your priorities in terms of the 4 C's?

Did you read the tutorial on the site?

With more information, we may be able to help you with your purchase. You will most likely get a better price and will have a better selection if you buy online.

:)

future_ex_single

Rough_Rock
Lawmax,
Thanks for answering. As you can see, I am REALLY lost. I have looked for info in so many places that I ended up losing track of what I wanted and felt like I was doing research for school. :)
I live in West Los Angeles.
I was thinking a round diamond would be best.
Also, as I have read, I should worry about color more than clarity; especially since I probably won't be able to afford a diamond that weighs more than 0.55.
Color: F-H
Clarity: VS1-SI1

Thanx

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Have you done a search at pricescope? (See menu bar above)

Are you looking to have the diamond set in a plain Tiffany-type setting? Many of the online vendors will give you one of those for free.

In doing a search on pricescope, you seem to have lots of options. You may even be able to get a larger stone than you think depending on the C's you choose, including cut quality.

I did a search for you with these paramaters as a start and came up with many options:

Round, 0.45-0.53 cts, G-H color, VS2-SI1 clarity, 60-61% depth, 55-57% table, GIA and AGS certified

You can run the searches and see what interests you. You can check on the vendor table and see what services are provided by the various dealers. Some give a special price for pricescope customers.

Run some of your choices by us (try to call the dealers first to get Sarin reports on the GIA stones if you can and post the information here). Sarin reports give more cut information than is on a GIA cert (cut info comes on an AGS cert).

We're here to help. :)

crosado

Rough_Rock
Hey Dude,
I was in your same spot about 4 months ago. And yes this is worst than grad school. I did all the research and this site is an excellent resource for information. But if you do not have the time and you are just looking for the best diamond 2k can afford let me give you an example

http://www.diamondsatcost.com/index.php page=view_diamond&lot_id=668740

$1946 will get you
0.65 Ct. diamond
AGS 0 (ideal cut, polish and symmetry)
G color
SI1 clarity (can't see any inclusion with naked eye)

I bought my diamond at this same website
www.diamondsatcost.com

The owner deals with you directly and can probably find you similar or better stone for less price. And yes you can ask him for a free or cheap mounting for now in yellow or white gold.

He also got a cool search engine
http://www.diamondsatcost.com/index.php?page=advanced_search

with guidelines for Tolkowsky Ideal Cut

Check him out. I was very happy dealing with him.

If you ask me a simple dude in your position with 2k I would search for the

biggest diamond
AGS 0 (cut, polish, symmetry)
SI1 or higher clarity
I or higher color

that 2k can afford. Give that guy a call.

Good luck

buttercup

Rough_Rock
First of all, I'd say you should just decide now to use an online vendor instead of a local store. Your $2K will go farther that way because the prices are cheaper and you'll be saving a couple hundred in sales tax. Also, you could probably go down to an SI2 and still stay eye-clean since your stone will be less than a carat, doing this will afford you more size. Lastly, don't buy a stone just because it might be a higher carat weight than something else. An excellent well cut diamond will look bigger than an average cut larger one. also, pay attention to the diameters of the stones, that's a much better marker of how big it is.

Since you mentioned you want to upgrade eventually, i think it's important to go through a store that will give you a 100% upgrade when you're ready.
I don't believe diamondsatcost has this sort of policy, but you can check.

Three places I recommend, I suggest you contact all of them and tell them you're looking for a white, eye-clean diamond with an extraordinary cut and you only have 2K to buy both the diamond and the setting with, they will help you out:

*Jan at Diamond Brokers Of Florida (321) 984-0757
http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.com
"...Diamond Brokers is one of the few companies that offers 100% credit for an upgrade if you would like a larger or higher quality diamond"

*Greg at Ringdesigner.com 503-670-7218
http://www.ringdesigner.com/Pages/Upgrade_Program.htm

*Jonathan at Good Old Gold 516-798-5151
www.goodoldgold.com
"Lifetime trade in for full amount of purchase price.
Yep, you heard right. If you or your lady (without letting you know ;-) are entertaining the thought of a bigger or higher quality diamond sometime down the road (like in case you hit lotto or somethin =) I'll give you back exactly what you paid for the diamond you purchased from us and apply it towards another. Guys, this is beneficial for you in a few ways. IF your engagement breaks off, and you think you may get engaged sometime down the road, you'll already have a ring to give her, but if you don't want to give her the same ring you gave the last girl, TRADE IT IN, you're not gonna lose money on the stone. Chances are this probably won't happen to you but it's a nice security buffer"

I found this AMAZING stone with a quick look. Really, it's just gorgous. Do not let the 'I' color deter you, I bet it looks like a G or better because of all the light return. Very serious sparkle, look at the brilliancescope analysis. If it were me, I'd probably snatch this one up right away. But that's because I'm a sucker for sparkle.
0.60 I SI1 AGS000 H&A $1685 5.49-5.51x3.35mm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/_60ct_i_si1_h&a.htm
Good old Gold is a real store in long island,NY, but Jonathan does business all over the country through the internet. He has many more diamonds than what is on his website. Give him a call.

Also, Diamond Brokers of florida is also a real store in Melbourne, Fl. It's nice to know you're working with somebody that's been in business for a while, especially since you want them to be around long enough for you to get your upgrade!

Good luck and keep us posted!

future_ex_single

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for helping me out.

So... I shouldn't consider the jewelry stores at the mall like Kay's? What about Robbins Bros? I know that the online prices are a lot cheaper, but they don't offer financing. I'm gonna have to study this further. I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SO COMPLICATED!

buttercup

Rough_Rock
the financing thing is tricky. what a bunch of my classmates did was get one of those no interest for X months credit cards. But this is only good if you know you can pay it back within that time, otherwise they totally bone you on the interest rate. Look into it, students are lucky in that we can get great promotions with credit cards.
Yes, STAY AWAY from Kay's and Zales and any other mall chain. As far as Robbins goes, they are a small chain that specializes in VOLUME selling instead of quality selling. I'd stay away from them too.
I'd MUCH rather see you try to get a low interest credit card and use one of the vendors I mentioned above. I've also heard of people taking loans out from their bank.

buttercup

Rough_Rock
here's one i got an email for today:
I've also heard of people taking loans out from their bank.
1.9% for 6 months, than 9.9% after that, as long as you pay on time every month...otherwise it goes up to 19.9%

buttercup

Rough_Rock
whoops, forgot to give you the link.
https://www.juniper.com/app/banking/marketing/credit_card.jsp

crosado

Rough_Rock
YES!! Stay Away from the Mall chains.. Trust me once you see an AGS0 diamond you would never stop by a Mall store. Or better yet, go to Mayors or any other high end Mall chain and ask them to show you a .50 ct+ diamond GIA excellent symmetry and polish.. THEY WON'T HAVE ONE. and if they do be prepared to be shocked when they tell you the price!!

Why would you pay Godiva prices at the mall to get a bag of PLAIN M&Ms??

Get a low intro interest credit card as suggested here and get your girl a real diamond without spending a fortune. (Godivas at M&M prices as it should be)

oh, and I agree 100% with buttercup
http://www.goodoldgold.com/_60ct_i_si1_h&a.htm

looks fantastic for the price.. Soo much red!! speechless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results