shape
carat
color
clarity

help for a newbie: e-ring selection dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

minxesq

Rough_Rock
Hello to all: I''m a longtime lurker (too embarassed to acknowledge myself as a LIW). Since my wonderful fiancee proposed to me last weekend, I finally feel like I can reach out and ask you for some help (without jinxing the engagement). I very much appreciate the education and advice that you''ve all made available through this forum, and I hope a few of you are willing to offer a little input on my e-ring dilemma.

My fiancee opted to propose without a ring and then work together to find/design the ring afterwards. He knows me well and figured that it would be best for me to have input on the shape of stone and setting. [I have to say that lack of the e-ring didn''t take away from the proposal at all. It was lovely and elaborate -- He chartered a 54-foot sailboat to take just the two of us on a sunset sail down the Hudson River, proposing in front of the Statue of Liberty, with a return trip under the sparkling light of full moon.]

To get to the point, we''re shooting for a 2 carat stone, focused on the following:

-- My longtime dream: Asscher cut (1920''s cut with fewer facets, rather than Royal Asscher), set in a replica of the original Cartier setting with four delicate split prongs (although the Leon Mege settings that everyone here knows and loves would be such a dream).
-- My fiancee''s preference: A classic round brilliant in the classic 6-prong Tiffany-style setting. He thinks it is elegant and timeless.
-- Alternative: Emerald cut, set in something similar to an elegant Harry Winston setting also with four split prongs.

Even though we live in NYC, very near the diamond district, we have had a heck of a time finding Asscher cuts. Nobody seems to have them in stock, and they seem to be reluctant to go out looking for them. The Staten Island jeweler that my fiancee trusts and prefers to use also is trying to discourage us from getting an Asscher. He says that they are a fad and will lose value. He''s strongly steering us to a RB (although I have a suspicion that it is because it''s less of a hassle for him) or, if I really have my heart set on a step-cut stone, an emerald cut.

So here''s where I could use your help:

My fiancee likes the RB because it''s a classic, and also because a 2 carat RB faces up much larger and more sparkly than a 2 carat Asscher or emerald. I find the RB a little too "blingy" and conventional/ordinary. BUT I agree that an Asscher or an emerald of the same size appear much smaller. Given how hard it is to find an Asscher and/or a well-cut emerald, plus the risk that these stones (at least the Asscher) could go the way of the pear and marquise in a few more years, I''m somewhat resigned to the idea that I should just go with the RB, perhaps with a more interesting setting.

Your thoughts and suggestions on either of the three cuts and/or possible settings will be greatly appreciated -- and could help my relationship/future marriage, as my dear fiancee just wants get this all over with (making sure, of course, that I am thrilled with the ring) and just not have to think about it anymore!!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!!

minxesq

Rough_Rock
Just to add a little visual aid, here''s my top choice -- an Asscher in a classic Cartier setting -- although a 2 carat is obviously going to have a completely different look than this gorgeous 5 carat monster!!

Asscher 1922.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS.
35.gif
This post should be moved to Rocky Talky as you will get more help there. Since you''re in NYC, I recommend going to LI to www.goodoldgold.com That''s where I got my asscher. Asscher''s are in high demand but a classic none the less. I really don''t think they are a fad. HTH and good luck!!
1.gif

minxesq

Rough_Rock
I will move this post to the appropriate forum. Thanks for setting me straight, Kaleigh!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results