shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding the perfect diamond for proposal

washcaps

Rough_Rock
I need help!!! o_O
I’ve been shopping for an engagement ring for the past few months and I’ve finally settled on a setting that she will love from James Allen. I thought finding the setting would be the hardest part based on her tastes... but then I found myself panicking over picking the right diamond for the ring. I know size and appearance matter to her. The max budget for the diamond is $8,000 but under that would be preferable to leave some breathing room. The setting will take up to a 1.35 round, and I’d like to get close to that. Can anyone help me find a 1.35 round that has a great appearance?

Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need help!!! o_O
I’ve been shopping for an engagement ring for the past few months and I’ve finally settled on a setting that she will love from James Allen. I thought finding the setting would be the hardest part based on her tastes... but then I found myself panicking over picking the right diamond for the ring. I know size and appearance matter to her. The max budget for the diamond is $8,000 but under that would be preferable to leave some breathing room. The setting will take up to a 1.35 round, and I’d like to get close to that. Can anyone help me find a 1.35 round that has a great appearance?

Thanks
Can you show us the setting? The problem with James allen right now is that they are hiding their certifications to avoid other companies scooping them. But that means we can't really search for you bc we can't see the angles/numbers/etc.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
washcaps... perhaps if you share a link or photo of the mounting, it can be found from another vendor (there are member here who are extremely knowledgeable and resourceful, and may be able to find you the same mounting elsewhere). You could still get the mounting from JA and the stone elsewhere, but it is easier if it is all done by the same vendor. With that said, I believe that if you have some stones you are interested in from JA, you can make the inquiry and they will provide further info. At that point, you can share it with everyone here and they can guide you toward making the best purchase within your budget, achieving the goals you have in mind. lovedogs, in particular, is amazing at sourcing great diamonds within the parameters provided!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
washcaps... perhaps if you share a link or photo of the mounting, it can be found from another vendor (there are member here who are extremely knowledgeable and resourceful, and may be able to find you the same mounting elsewhere). You could still get the mounting from JA and the stone elsewhere, but it is easier if it is all done by the same vendor. With that said, I believe that if you have some stones you are interested in from JA, you can make the inquiry and they will provide further info. At that point, you can share it with everyone here and they can guide you toward making the best purchase within your budget, achieving the goals you have in mind. lovedogs, in particular, is amazing at sourcing great diamonds within the parameters provided!
You are so sweet! OP: yes, ja will show you certificates if you ask, but it's just a huge pain to try and find (by the naked eye) stones that are within the parameters for an ideal cut and then to have to request the certificates. Just bc it's so time consuming and annoying, I no longer recommend ja.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You are so sweet! OP: yes, ja will show you certificates if you ask, but it's just a huge pain to try and find (by the naked eye) stones that are within the parameters for an ideal cut and then to have to request the certificates. Just bc it's so time consuming and annoying, I no longer recommend ja.
Well said!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

washcaps

Rough_Rock
Yep- I’m 100% sure on the setting. Her and I ended up talking about options, tried on a bunch, and she really liked that one.

L

lydial

No JA stone advice, but that setting is super chic! The experts here can set you up with some angle parameters to your quest through JA. If you lose shopping patience with JA I strongly recommend HPD!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep- I’m 100% sure on the setting. Her and I ended up talking about options, tried on a bunch, and she really liked that one.
Good to know! Given all the nonsense about JA, I think the safest route would be to find an AGS 000 stone (AGS is the lab, "ideal" is the cut grade). Usually, those are in JAs "true hearts" line, which is often overpriced. That said, I honestly can't think of an easier way to find stuff on their foolish website.

washcaps

Rough_Rock
5B748D9B-788A-4041-831E-D0D6B75506DD.jpeg 1253D2CC-65EA-46AB-B2EA-A208A5D2EB57.jpeg 6C48E699-CA35-4F1D-97EA-6119F7CF6E36.jpeg
I appreciate the help. I am attaching a few cert documents- can you help me figure out if the more expensive options are worth it?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would go for the G color, but I'm very much drawn in that direction. Additionally, while AGS0s are top for cut, I think AGS is a bit "loose" on color and I don't even think (from what I've seen in person) that AGS G color is on par with a GIA G color. Additionally, to me, the Interally Flawless is total overkill. I think VVS is, as well, but those are the options you've provided. I would MUCH RATHER go with something in the VS1 or VS2 range (or even a nice SI1) and get something in the colorless range. Alternatively... and I don't want to speak for lovedogs but I think I "know" her well enough by now LOL... I bet she would suggest you don't go IF or VVS and go for an H or I in a super ideal and go up in SIZE (lovedogs, please chime in!).
So I think you could come down on clarity and go up in either color or size. Just my opinion. You are spending money on clarity grades that you will not see (literally and figuratively). You could use your dollar to get much more in size or higher color grade WHILE STILL having a TOP CUT.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, you know me too well! That clarity is overkill IMHO and it will be invisible to the naked eye. I would recommend vs2 or eye clean SI1 in G/h color for the best value.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5B748D9B-788A-4041-831E-D0D6B75506DD.jpeg 1253D2CC-65EA-46AB-B2EA-A208A5D2EB57.jpeg 6C48E699-CA35-4F1D-97EA-6119F7CF6E36.jpeg
I appreciate the help. I am attaching a few cert documents- can you help me figure out if the more expensive options are worth it?
Which ones are these for? And what is the cost?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree withe everyone above. There's nothing wrong with the proportions on those diamonds you selected, but the clarity is overkill. As @headlight said, I would go for the highest color possible that your budget can afford, especially in a white metal tension setting, as tension settings expose a lot of the side (profile) view of the diamond.

Difference in color is something that many can actually see. Difference in clarity (at least within the VS2 to IF range) is pretty much negligible from an eye clean standpoint.

To maximize size on your budget, I would recommend looking for an eye-clean G/VS2. Sorry, no recommendations from me though. I refuse to use JA's search engine, as it's maddening to try and sort through diamonds with just a close-up video.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results