shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding setting!

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I was browsing around a couple of the different vendors looking for a particular setting (or something similar to it..) Looking for a setting first, and then a diamond! I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos.

The girlfriend and I went to browse a couple of settings at a B&M store near by here in Los Angeles, CA. We did find one setting that we both really liked, but to be honest I'm not quite sure I'd be happy settling on the first thing we both found until I/we have taken a look at a few more. If I recall, I believe it is roughly ~.60 ct TW and just under $2000 (probably could go lower..)

**What we liked about it - the intricate detail/design in the "crown" area of the setting

Is this setting considered a crown-type halo? or do they just consider it a halo? I'd like to narrow down my "search" so I do not get overwhelmed trying to locate similar settings.. I am looking to put a ~1ct round diamond in it. Thank you in advance :dance:

_37661.jpg

_37662.jpg

_37664.jpg

_1257.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for the triple pave diamond shank too? I would just call this a halo with a petal like gallery.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. You should always buy your diamond first, though. Then if needed, you can have the setting made to fit it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1467296400|4050068 said:
Are you looking for the triple pave diamond shank too? I would just call this a halo with a petal like gallery.

Hi Tyty! Thanks for responding.. Doesn't necessarily have to be a triple pave shank, but I guess something with an intricate gallery as mentioned below..

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1467348676|4050363 said:
That does not look like a high quality setting. I'm sorry to say.

You want an intricate gallery.

Does your lady like this at all: https://www.etsy.com/listing/262250529/the-cvb-zoe-art-deco-style-octagonal?ref=shop_home_active_35

It would be really easy for CVB to add customize that design a nice delicate halo around the center stone. And it may come it at the 3000 mark for you.

Wow! Thanks for this. CVB does look like they have some very intricate/interesting designs! I am going to take a look at some of these and see if it would work!

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1467333990|4050305 said:
I agree. You should always buy your diamond first, though. Then if needed, you can have the setting made to fit it.

Thanks Diamondseeker! Hmm, that is a good point - I'm thinking I'll go back to looking at diamonds first and keep these other ideas in mind.

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - forgot to ask.. What about it isn't high quality? I'm sorry it's a silly question - just thought it looked pretty neat..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be frank it looks like cheaply manufactured pave, from China most likely. That's where a lot of these types of low quality, high bling, pave settings come from.

It's not something I would expect a person who hasn't spent time looking at good quality pave or high quality pave to recognize. Of course it looked good it you! It was clean and sparkly and blingy and you were in the store under jewelers lights and they probably had it in a case with similar quality stuff.

But you aren't exactly an experienced jewelry shopper are you? You were looking at the design of it. Not the manufacturing or the actual diamond quality or anything. Because, well, you don't know anything about that.

I look at that and I think... no I KNOW I can get something just like that from one of the Chinese jewelers directly for less than a 1000 bucks on ebay.

Sorry, but true. You can go to Shane Company and see cases and cases full of the stuff. Their "in house designs executed for us EXCLUSIVELY by international designers." :rolleyes:

Since you are in LA we can recommend you to local jewelers who will have higher quality pieces so you can see what they look like. Not necessarily designer stuff. Actually very few of us on here pay 'designer' prices for our settings.

Although, for a first time buyer, some brands that do not have ridiculous mark ups like Beverly K can be a way to be sure that you are getting solid quality stuff at a good price point.

Look at the Beverly K site. You might like some of their stuff.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post a new thread.

"BM Jewelers for AFFORDABLE setting shopping in LA". I know of a few but they are very expensive ones like Singlestone and 23rd Street Jewelers. And their settings START in the 3k range. So not a good fit unless you want something much simpler like a solitaire for your budget.

I do think Love Affair Diamonds is in LA though. So you might want to call Erica and ask if you can meet her to see the CVB work in person. I'm sure she'd love to show them to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Affair Diamonds (and CVB) is not in LA, but they do have some sample settings they can send to you to see the quality, if needed. I recently had a ring made by them, and it is very high quality. Obviously not the style for your stone, but here it is. (Their benches are not the fastest, but they are very highly skilled.)

_37670.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1467443758|4050733 said:
I do think Love Affair Diamonds is in LA though. So you might want to call Erica and ask if you can meet her to see the CVB work in person. I'm sure she'd love to show them to you.

You might be thinking of Jewels by Grace. She's in the La Canada area. She carries Erika Winter Bridal and Sebastien Barier, but neither of those lines is particularly budget-friendly.

OP: if custom is a possibility, you might also want to check out David Klass's work. There's lots of it shown here on PS, and he's also on facebook.

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - thank you for your honest answer! I've decided that I am going to pry and and see what type of diamond she wants first before I even decide on the setting.. It's just so tough because once you put a setting on a diamond it looks completely different. I will definitely revisit a new thread at a later date asking for B&M store suggestions within LA/Orange County if I decide to go with something intricate. To be honest, I'd feel much more comfortable doing a one stop shop whether it be online or a B&M vendor.. I don't feel comfortable getting things done at more than one place (for now at least)..

I do have an appointment this week with a jeweler (Liberty Diamonds in Orange County, CA) to have a look at a few diamonds/settings.
If I do find something I like, i'll be sure to take the specs down and review it with you all here on PS. I will more than likely end up buying online, but nothing beats the B&M experience :eh:

Thanks all!

almost_there_in_la

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1467469351|4050785 said:
Love Affair Diamonds (and CVB) is not in LA, but they do have some sample settings they can send to you to see the quality, if needed. I recently had a ring made by them, and it is very high quality. Obviously not the style for your stone, but here it is. (Their benches are not the fastest, but they are very highly skilled.)

Thanks Diamondseeker!!! I did have a look at the CVB settings and those look amazing.. I may have to consider cutting down the budget for a setting and instead putting more into the diamond - then settle for a simpler/more budget friendly setting. Anyhow, I am going to look for a diamond first! Thanks for your help :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results