shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding round colored gem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys, I'm venturing out of the SMTR and Hangout and am now looking for a colored gem...round preferably maybe pink but open to any suggestion about 6.5mm in size so I can place it in a semi bezel yg ring. Any thoughts or stones you can think of sharing, as this is my first posting here on this side other than "pretty" comments on other pscoper's thread, I really don't want to spend more than a couple of hundred on a gemstone... another RHR... I was interested in tourmaline, or tanzanite, but I"m really interested in your thoughts?
I just email Richard homer on tourmaline so we'll see if he has any around... but really I'm clueless on gems (i'm not shy to admit
1.gif
)... so any advice is welcomed... Thanks!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink spinel is pretty, Dan''s currently cutting one right now. :)
Spinel

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 6:05:15 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Pink spinel is pretty, Dan's currently cutting one right now. :)
Spinel
ooh that one is pretty on their site,, I'll have to dig into it more... thanks for the linky..
ETA
what do you think about this? I think it will fit.... you guys know more than me

http://customgemstones.com/SPINEL/sp1108.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a lot of choices with pink:
garnet
spinel
tourmaline
sapphire (but might be too expensive)

I would stay away from tanzanites in a ring. They are rather soft and might get damaged easily in a ring, even when bezeled.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:00:25 PM
Author: Chrono
You have a lot of choices with pink:
garnet
spinel
tourmaline
sapphire (but might be too expensive)

I would stay away from tanzanites in a ring. They are rather soft and might get damaged easily in a ring, even when bezeled.
Thanks Chrono,
I''m thinking of narrowing it down to a spinel or tourmaline... oh tanzanites are sure pretty though
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a pastel pink or hot pink? Does it have to be a round? I know of a very pretty spinel of around 1 carat in a cushion and a round.
www.gemshoppe.com

141 round pink spinel1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view. It''s a 1.41 ct spinel for only $150. It measures 6.7 mm.

141 round pink spinel2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An almost square cushion

spinCushion1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one looks to have better colour than the round.

spinCushion5.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael E has such pretty stuff doesn''t he? Hehe. I just bought the light blue sapphire oval he had up there for awhile, can''t wait to see it. I hear really great things about him, so I''m sure those pink spinels look gorgeous in person!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.06 ct cushion measuring 6.92 mm x 6.2 mm x 4 mm. It costs $500 though because of the finer colour.

spinCushion3.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never set anything in a semi-bezel, do you need to be very specific with the measurements? Or is there wiggle room?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a spinel expert, but I got this pink lilac cushion spinel from ebay (store srilankanmall) for $25 (no S&H). It's 1.5 carats and cut really well for a native cut. Most of their spinels looked too dark or too grey, but this one stood out. It has some inclusions, but it's eye clean. Like Michael E's stone above, it's primarily pink, but has this lilac color "floating" inside of it in sunlight. In incandescent light, it's more of a pure pink. I also got a very pretty violet spinel from them. When I got it, I was worried it was fake because it was too good to be true, but it does have some typical natural inclusions.

TLpinklilacspinel.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you guys are great, yeah it has to be round, i''m trying to verify with WF on the size as it will go into my existing (2nd ering mount) mount i think a slight wiggle room .xx mm so i''ll get more specific although i know it has to be around the 6mm- 6.8mm mark
CHrono you sure have a knack for these
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:33:36 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I''m not a spinel expert, but I got this pink lilac cushion spinel from ebay (store srilankanmall) for $25 (no S&H). It''s 1.5 carats and cut really well for a native cut. Most of their spinels looked too dark or too grey, but this one stood out. It has some inclusions, but it''s eye clean. Like Michael E''s stone above, it''s primarily pink, but has this lilac color ''floating'' inside of it in sunlight. In incandescent light, it''s more of a pure pink. I also got a very pretty violet spinel from them. When I got it, I was worried it was fake because it was too good to be true, but it does have some typical natural inclusions.
since i don''t know.... well i know zip about spinel or tourmaline,,, i''m really nervous to buy from ebay unless you all know of a reputable seller?
your stone looks beautiful.

as for color i do tend to go for more pastel but the in between pastel and lilac is beautiful.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:21:38 PM
Another view. It''s a 1.41 ct spinel for only $150. It measures 6.7 mm.
30.gif
love this one

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:38:51 PM
Author: D&T
you guys are great, yeah it has to be round, i''m trying to verify with WF on the size as it will go into my existing (2nd ering mount) mount i think a slight wiggle room .xx mm so i''ll get more specific although i know it has to be around the 6mm- 6.8mm mark
36.gif
I''m embarassed to admit that I only just realized it''s for an existing ROUND bezel setting so the cushion is out of the question. So sorry...
emembarrassed.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
I like the first one a lot too, a nice shocking pink. The second one reminds me of flesh tones so I''m not a fan of it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:54:58 PM
MTG,

I like the first one a lot too, a nice shocking pink. The second one reminds me of flesh tones so I'm not a fan of it.

Hehe, just goes to show what a difference in preference there can be :) I like the peachy one. It might depend on what looks good with your skin tone/complexion.

I think of the ones posted so far, I'd go with Michael's. I've heard great things about his cutting, the color is pretty, it's the right size, and the price seems great too. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, and it''s not good with my skin tone, that''s for sure.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:46:09 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 8:38:51 PM
36.gif
I''m embarassed to admit that I only just realized it''s for an existing ROUND bezel setting so the cushion is out of the question. So sorry...
emembarrassed.gif
No worries I''m glad you chimed in.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to MTG and TL as well for stopping by. I''ve tried to email Michael so we''ll see if the pink spinel is mine... .... to be continue...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 8:19:52 PM
Are you looking for a pastel pink or hot pink? Does it have to be a round? I know of a very pretty spinel of around 1 carat in a cushion and a round.
www.gemshoppe.com
Chrono-- Question,,where was this gem you found on his site? or did you needed to contact him directly for it? I was on the site, or maybe its me the operator who can''t find it? thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:13:03 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 8:19:52 PM
www.gemshoppe.com
Chrono-- Question,,where was this gem you found on his site? or did you needed to contact him directly for it? I was on the site, or maybe its me the operator who can''t find it? thanks!
No, it''s not there. He hasn''t updated his webpage in forever.
3.gif
I''d email or call him directly.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t offer any more suggestions past the great ones you''ve gotten here but I can''t wait to see what you get.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t rule out pink garnets so quickly! I love my garnets - they look amazing.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Spinel might be a bit more easier to find than a tourmaline, since you're after a round. Spinels form in a cubic crystal system so they're more often cut in rounds and squares, while you're much more likely to see tourmalines cut in elongated shapes. That also means that shapes such as rounds are more suitable for materials such as spinels which are singly refractive, so it's easier to bring out all of the potential of their optical properties and have a very brilliant stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 2:38:37 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I wouldn't rule out pink garnets so quickly! I love my garnets - they look amazing.

I wouldn't rule them out either...I just couldn't find any currently available in the size she was looking for, lol.

Even so, if she likes the lighter pastel/lilac pinks, it'd be harder to find that in a garnet. Although she could ask around to see if anyone has suitable malaya rough.

Here's a pic of a lovely malaya garnet from Jeff white, it's gorgeous.
http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR042.htm

One from Barry:
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=2739

But as you can see, they sell well!

And here's a pink rhodolite, although these tend to be a little more purple than I like in my pink.
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=139&idproduct=2734

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks marcy, CP, ma re (great info) and MTG, those stones are beautiful, I am in love with the one chrono posted as the color just speaks to me, already have it on hold to make sure its the correct size. thanks all for your efforts, otherwise i''d be taking days to find them and may not even know if one existed like the one Michael had since it wasn''t on his site. i''m excited

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results