shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Engagement ring for rookie

JordanKora

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am currently in the progress of looking for an engagement ring and I am completely new to this diamond world. I have read and learned many things about diamond in the past few weeks from this forum... but there are way too many information and I need some expert advises :confused: . I still don't really understand the important of a diamond depth, table, etc...

I am looking for a round diamond with excellent cut (sparkly =) ), around 1 carat, maybe E-F color... my budget is around $18000.

I saw many posts mentioned sparkly diamond need to have a good HCA score, good idealscope picture, lab report from GIA or AGS. Are there anything else to determine how sparkly the diamond is?

If I purchase from those reputable seller like James Allen, Good Old Gold. Should I still hire a local appraiser to take a look at the diamond?

Any place you guys recommend with good variety of setting selections? Should I just get the diamond online and purchase the setting locally? I would like to purchase online so I can save the tax :tongue:

What do you guys think about this diamond?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391320.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.08
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 62.0%
Table: 56.2%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.54*6.60*4.07
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.20
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.10

Sorry for so many questions and thank you so much in advance! Jordan

slg47

Ideal_Rock
JordanKora|1319603654|3047752 said:
Hello everyone. I am currently in the progress of looking for an engagement ring and I am completely new to this diamond world. I have read and learned many things about diamond in the past few weeks from this forum... but there are way too many information and I need some expert advises :confused: . I still don't really understand the important of a diamond depth, table, etc...

I am looking for a round diamond with excellent cut (sparkly =) ), around 1 carat, maybe E-F color... my budget is around $18000.

I saw many posts mentioned sparkly diamond need to have a good HCA score, good idealscope picture, lab report from GIA or AGS. Are there anything else to determine how sparkly the diamond is?

If I purchase from those reputable seller like James Allen, Good Old Gold. Should I still hire a local appraiser to take a look at the diamond?

Any place you guys recommend with good variety of setting selections? Should I just get the diamond online and purchase the setting locally? I would like to purchase online so I can save the tax :tongue:

What do you guys think about this diamond?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1391320.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.08
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 62.0%
Table: 56.2%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.54*6.60*4.07
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.20
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.10

Sorry for so many questions and thank you so much in advance! Jordan

hi and welcome! this diagram explains depth and table, they are 2 proportions used in describing diamonds.

diamond-proportions.png

The diamond you have selected looks really nice. Is there a reason you want very high clarity? You can drop to VS and still not see any inclusions, and you could likely go up in carat weight.

JordanKora

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. There isn't any reason I chose such high clarity. I think as long as the inclusions cannot be seen with my girlfriend's naked eyes will be fine :tongue: But seriously, a normal human eye without any instruments cannot tell the difference between IF, VVS, and VS, is that correct?

My main focus on the diamond would be sparkly and colorless.

Thanks

JordanKora

Rough_Rock
Is there ideal ratio between table and depth %?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think both look nice, although I prefer the E VS2 with nicer hearts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JordanKora|1319686470|3048478 said:
Is there ideal ratio between table and depth %?

There are old cheat sheet numbers that I can tell you...these are usually considered "safe" numbers. There are nice stones
that fall outside of these numbers. Idealscope showing no leakage trumps numbers.

depth - 60-62%
table - 54-57%
crown angle - 34-35
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41

edit - here is the rest of the cheat sheet that I had to dig up...

girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

From expert John Pollard.With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

JordanKora

Rough_Rock
Any place you guys recommend for setting? Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results