shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! - Diamond Proportions 1.6ct

solerpower912

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

I just discovered this website and was hoping to get feedback regarding this diamond. I ran it through the HCA tool and it received a 1.9 but concerned with the note of it can appear dark when close up. The details for the diamond are below. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

2219 - HCA.png
Carat Weight: 1.6
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent
Fluor: None

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its table is larger, and its crown angle and depth are lower, than we recommend. If you give us your budget and desired specs, we can help you find a diamond.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Assuming the hypermetropes/presbyopes are not wearing corrective glasses/contact lenses, which they often are @Garry H (Cut Nut) !

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
GM89 what focus distance are those specs most often set to?

much further than they used to for the reading part due to screens not books.
"Reading glasses work best for distances less than 18 inches. Since the optimal distance for computer screens is 20 to 26 inches,"

edit: I just checked and the reading part of my bifocals is set to aprox 19 to 22 inches.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s no secret, the HCA favors shallow stones. This is another example. Maybe okay for earrings, etc but not what you want for an engagement ring.

Take the HCA with a grain of salt. It uses 17 of the 57 facets to create a score. And the data it uses is from a lab report that ignores the very real issue of GIA gross rounding. Garry knows this but it can be confusing to new users. HCA helps reject stones, or narrow choices, but it should never be used as a selection tool.

Plug in a stone with a 55-57 table, depth <62 and 34.5/40.8 combo and you will get a similar numerical score except fire, scintillation and light return will all be excellent and spread will be very good. The stone will have a very different personality and be more suitable for an engagement ring. Other combos could work. Just my point is you have to look at other factors. Even in a stone like I mentioned you could have gross rounding, symmetry or other issues the lab report doesn’t tell us.

What kind of budget are you working with and are you tied to a specific vendor? We can likely guide you towards some better options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results