shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding on 2 diamonds - H vs I

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
I've been searching, looking and reading on diamonds for awhile now looking for a diamond. This will eventually be placed in a tacori setting. The gf loves tacori so i have no say in the setting but I need help on deciding the diamond. I found two round brilliant cut that i like and wanted to know which is the better choice.

The first one is:

1.91 carat, I , VS2 ex/ex/ex GIA

Measurements: 7.95x7.98x4.91
Depth: 61.6%
Table 57%
Crown angle : 33.5%
Pavillion Angle : 41%
Flour : none

the second one is:

1.80 carat, H, VS2 ex/ex/ex GIA

Measurements: 7.76x7.80x4.81
Depth: 61.9%
Table 57%
Crown angle : 35.5%
Pavillion Angle : 40.6%
Flour : none

I would love to hear you opinions. thank you and i will attached the idealscope shortly.

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
1.91, I VS2
1_74.jpg

1.80, H, VS2
1_76.jpg

The gemologist stated that they are both faces eye clean and the diamond is a high "I" and the color is comparable to "H" color. I never liked the word comparable but if they are similar i am sold. What do everyone else thinks. The I is also about 1K cheaper than the H.

ViraLovesTiffanys

Rough_Rock
get the I, enjoy the size, the make, and the fact that that 1k can go into your mounting!

dabblebabble

Rough_Rock
Agreed. I don't believe you will be compromising its final appearance by going with "I".

You nailed it on the head by looking at ex/ex/ex stones with high clarity and a very generous size -- I think your job is done. Beyond those factors, the difference between H & I is virtually negligible. (A local jeweler recently told me that she snatches up "I" colored diamonds because they have the appearance of "H" and she can sell them to clients at a much better price.)

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight and opinions. How do you guys feel about the idealscope? I'm new to this diamond shopping and could use some guidance on what to look for and if there Any issues I should be concerned with.

Fife

Rough_Rock
i'm liking the top photo because the lightness of the diamond is consistent in the center and on the outside. The one on the bottom is lighter in the middle meaning that something is a little off.

What's the inclusion like on it?

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
attached are the GIA reports

i1_1.jpg

i1_2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely nothing is wrong with either idealscope image. Both stones are very nice. I personally would prefer the 1.8 H VS2 because I would value the higher color over the extra size. But if all her friends have 2 ct. stones, then you'd be wise to go with the larger one. It just depends on what her preferences would be.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be comfortable with the I. Looking at the inclusions listed, there is a cloud on the H. It may be nothing, but for me, I'd go with the I - its slightly larger and I do not believe you'll notice much difference between the H and a "high I".

Good luck!

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great insight. Her friends do not have 2 carat diamonds so either choice would do just fine :). But it just seems like the 1.9 is a better value, to me at least. However, i would hate to get the "I" and realize there is a hint of yellow. I've seen H's in person and feel comfortable with the color and hope the high "I" looks the same. The diamond purchasing process is just so difficult.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think you will be happy with the I. I have a 2.3 I and prior had a 2.04 F and my I seems just as white as I remember the F. The stones in my wedding band are D/E and though smaller so different optics, they don't offer any noticeable contrast to me or anyone I have asked. I never would have considered I before coming to PS and I'm so glad I educated myself here....was able to get a much bigger stone for a better value while keeping cut at the forefront and my stone looks amazing! I think you will be thrilled with the I and more importantly so will your fiance!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'd choose the H, I like the proportions and would be more than happy to give a wee bit of size for the diamond that will likely have more fire. They both look great but I'd go with the H! =) The visual difference between the two stones is going to be comparable to the width of two sheets of copy paper. ;))

fri2lay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I really appreciate it and i've decided to go with the "I". I will take a look at it and see if i notice any color difference compared to the "H". I guess I can always return the diamond if i can't accept the color difference. Hopefully it all works out. Thanks again to all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results