shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Deciding Between Two J VS1 and VVS2 1.5 Diamonds

YR1

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, first I want to thank you for all of the wealth of information you have compiled in this website for us new guys! I have learned more than I ever thought I would need to know but I know I am not close to the level that you all are so I come to you for some advice!

Using what I have learned here I decided to put an emphasis on cut (round stones). I knew I would have to make some sacrifices somewhere in order to stay in budget and after viewing some diamonds in person with my soon to be fiance I decided I can sacrifice in color as we learned that we could not distinguish between an H, I and J colored diamond.

After searching online a bit I narrowed my selection to a two stones... The specs are as follows (both are GIA Certified):

Stone A
1.52 carat
J
VS1
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent
Strong Blue

Proportions
Depth 62.3%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 35.0*
Crown Height 15%
Pavilion Angle 40.8*
Pavilion Depth 43%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick 4.0%
Cutlet None

GIA Cert Clarity Characteristics: Crystals, Needles and Cloud
diamond_a.jpg

HCA Tool Score 1.7
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good
diamond_a_hca.jpg

Stone B
1.51 carat
J
VVS2
Very Strong Blue

Proportions
Depth 62.1%
Table 56%
Crown Angle 36.0*
Crown Height 16%
Pavilion Angle 40.6*
Pavilion Depth 42.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Medium 3.5%
Cutlet None

GIA Cert Clarity Characteristics: Pinpoints
diamond_b.jpg

HCA Tool Score 1.7
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good
diamond_b_hca.jpg

The price difference between the two is $750 with B being more expensive.

With the information at hand, would you strongly prefer one over the other? Would it be best that I buy them both to have them evaluated locally and then keep the best one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

YR1

Rough_Rock
I wanted to add that I will likely buy both by the end of the day so that I may get them in for evaluation sooner rather than later. If anyone else has any other recommendations as far as stones from other vendors that have similar specs please feel free to comment!

The max I am looking to spend on the stone is 8K

Thanks

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS deleted my comment...If you can afford to buy both that's really the best option. If not, I would check on a few other things - is #1 eye clean? Does the fluor have any negative affects on either?

YR1

Rough_Rock
Thanks... Assuming #1 is eye clean would it be a better choice given that it ranks excellent in three of the four areas in the HCA tool?

Anything obvious that I am missing?

While I can buy several stones to be able to see them I don't want to waste my time doing so if there is a glaring flaw I am missing or if there is a better option out there where I don't have to buy blind.

BTW, I did give my local diamond store a chance first but their prices seemed on the high side... We saw two stones an H VS2 and an F VS1 (I had requested they brought in I color diamonds for me to view).

The diamonds from the store were as follows:

Local Diamond Store F Stone
Price $17,250 aprox.
1.48 carat
F
VS1
Strong Blue

Proportions
Depth 62.9%
Table 59%
Crown Angle 34.5*
Crown Height 14%
Pavilion Angle 41.8*
Pavilion Depth 44.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Slightly Thick 4.0%
Cutlet None

GIA Cert Clarity Characteristics: Twinning Wisp, Feather, Natural
diamond_c.jpg

I ran the numbers through the HCA tool and it scored a 6.0.

Light Return Good
Fire Poor
Scintillation Fair
Spread Very Good
diamond_c_hca.jpg

Local Diamond Store H Stone
Price $16,750 aprox
1.51 carat
H
VS2
Very Good, Excellent, Excellent
Strong Blue

Proportions
Depth 61.8%
Table 58%
Crown Angle 36*
Crown Height 15.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.2*
Pavilion Depth 42%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Slightly Thick 4.5
Cutlet None

GIA Cert Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Twinning Wisp, Feather, Natural.
diamond_d.jpg

I ran the numbers through the HCA tool and it scored a 4.7.

Light Return Good
Fire Poor
Scintillation Fair
Spread Very Good

My girlfriend thought that these were absolutely gorgeous and I do agree that they did look nice, but the specs don't seem to add up.

Am I giving too much weight to the 'specs'?
Will a lower color stone with better 'specs' be just as breathtaking if she was unable to tell the difference between the H-J diamonds
she saw in the store?

YR1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone!

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
If 'very strong blue' masks the J colour, then what else is it doing?

YR1

Rough_Rock
I dont know... That's why I was asking for opinions from the experts

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
YR1|1445282292|3939921 said:

Do you want the strong fluorescence to make your stone look whiter in certain light, do you like the glow in UV light, or to save on costs?

If you want a 'bright white' look then I would suggest dropping down to G grade minimum. If it's because you are looking at cut & size then it's not so much of a consideration.

In any case strong fluorescence is not something I would desire, and my jeweller stocks faint florescence max because they think stronger doesn't 'look as nice'. Only way to tell is to see in a variety of light, with your own eyes, and choose what you like the most. :)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at these in various lighting? Every diamond I've ever viewed in a store looked gorgeous. In fact I bought one and when I looked at it in my home and outdoors, it was underwhelming. So I always suggest that you view them in the lighting she will be spending the most time in. You might notice a difference in color too so that may change your opinion on the J.

I personally like fluorescence and have owned a diamond with it (still do but it's a small diamond). I like the way they look outside. Some people love it and some people don't. If I were buying a diamond I thought I might ever re-sell or trade in, I'd avoid it because I think it limits your possibilities. My dream diamond, the one to rule them all, will definitely be medium to strong blue.

For me VVS2 is way overkill but I'm old and my eyes are terrible.

Just my two cents...

YR1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I actuallyhave not as I am buying these sight unseen as my local stores diamonds were very expensive. They did show me some with strong fluorescence and we liked the way it looked!

As far as VVS2, it was just what came up, I had my filters set to VS1 or higher... And for resale, I am not concerned about that, if I need to sell it down the road I am sure I will have bigger things to worry about as I am marrying with the intention of it being a once in a lifetime event :dance:

I have replaced one of my selections with another one I have found in Blue Nile. Also, I found one in James Allen that I also like, I will order the two that take the longest to arrive first and then the one from James Allen so that they all arrive simultaneously and then evaluate them all once I have them.

Is there an ethical issue with what I am thinking about doing? Buying several and returning the ones I like the least? I feel :twisted:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No problem with ethics as long as they are retuned in the original condition.

YR1

Rough_Rock
decisively_unsure|1445282658|3939929 said:
YR1|1445282292|3939921 said:

Do you want the strong fluorescence to make your stone look whiter in certain light, do you like the glow in UV light, or to save on costs?

If you want a 'bright white' look then I would suggest dropping down to G grade minimum. If it's because you are looking at cut & size then it's not so much of a consideration.

In any case strong fluorescence is not something I would desire, and my jeweler stocks faint florescence max because they think stronger doesn't 'look as nice'. Only way to tell is to see in a variety of light, with your own eyes, and choose what you like the most. :)

Thanks for the reply...

I have seen strong fluorescent diamonds in person and liked the way they looked... I like the blue they show in sunlight and also the fact that they can brighten the diamond a shade or so.

I saw different color grades in person (not in the size or specs I wanted unfortunately) and could not tell the difference in color unless I had them side by side. Made us realize I don't need anything better than VS1 or J and we would rather save the money... If it was noticeable I would have no issued buying her a better colored one but she specifically stated she did not want to spend money on something that was not visible (rather put the additional money towards our house).

YR1

Rough_Rock
iluvshinythings|1445285993|3939970 said:
No problem with ethics as long as they are retuned in the original condition.

Of course! I would just want to see them in person and their business model doesn't allow for that.

YR1

Rough_Rock
Ordered two today... Stone A and a second one that I didn't mention here but is of similar characteristics. They'll arrive in about one week. I'll post my findings when I get them!

Thanks for the help!

YR1

Rough_Rock
Ordered three more last night. They should all be here by next week. Should I buy an ideal scope so I can take pictures?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I'd get an ASET.

Hopefully you ordered a H too.

Js can show quite a bit of body color under lower color temps like 2700k. combine that with off white walls and it becomes apparent. But with jewelry store lighting it can be difficult to notice. You'll see if that ever becomes an issue for you.

I'd be interested to see them all side by side though to see what differences there are.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool you could order 5 of them...looking forward to the comparison! (and pictures)

YR1

Rough_Rock
Hi again! Still waiting for shipping although I think there may be a slight delay... Looks like it will be another 10 days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results