shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Can''t decide what sunglasses to get

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I''ve decided I need some PS advice too. I''ve got $150 to spend on prescription sunglasses (insurance money), and have found 2 pairs I really like. The one on the left is more girly, and costs about $183. The one on the left is more sporty, has better eye coverage, and costs $224. I would have them order it in brown/tortoiseshell too. I''m seriously tempted to buy both, because I actually like both of them. DH is against it, but I might just deserve a small present for having passed my licensing exams.

In the past I''ve had transition lenses or clip-ons, but decided to go for separate pairs this time. The sporty ones don''t fold up as small as the girly ones, so they''d be more bulky to carry around. I don''t feel comfortable wandering around without glasses of some sort on (even though my prescription''s not that strong), so I''ll always have one pair in my bag or jacket pocket. I''m more of a tomboy engineer/doctor. Not particularly girly. Never wear makeup. Rarely do anything fancy with my hair (when I wear scrubs every day, and stuff it in an OR hat, why bother?).

Opinions anyone? I''m very indecisive, and need help!
Kate

Sunglasses comparison.JPG

drk

Brilliant_Rock
The comparison of how much they wrap around the face, plus how big they are when folded up.

I'm not terribly athletic, though I do ride my bike and walk around a fair bit. On vacations, we usually walk around cities for hours, with me slathered in sunscreen because I burn so easily, and I inevitably have a hat on to protect my eyes, face, and scalp from the sun.

Sunglasses profile.JPG

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the ones on the right, but they are both cute looks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for right.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The right. I get prescription sunglasses too, but I always have them do the gradient (?) tint on them. I was told however, that this wasn''t as "fashionable".
14.gif
I just found that the tint they show in the models was too dark for me for driving. YMMV.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like them both, leaning towards the ones on the right. But in tort--black is quite severe.

cheers--Sharon

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I definitely like the ones on the right!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone - I''m amazed that everyone is going for the sporty ones, but it sure makes the decision easier to have it be pretty much unanimous! I''m glad you''re less indecisive than I am :)

cara

Ideal_Rock
Do you what my differing opinion?

Both.

The left set is cute! I think you deserve both if they are different enough that you will use one sometimes and the other othertimes. And you are fairly good at not losing sunglasses.

I live in CA, lots of need for sunglasses, so I can justify two moderately pricey pairs. I've got one more fashiony pair that doesn't always provide enough coverage and one more athletic pair that is better for biking and sporty looks and when more coverage is needed. And it means if I leave one pair at work or in the car there is another pair usually available.

But maybe I'm just an enabler!
2.gif

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with the ones on the right because they offer better eye protection.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I like the shape on the right. The color on the left may be more flattering to your skin tone. You need a hybrid!

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the ones on the right too... but I like them in the black! Not sure how I''d feel about them in the tortoiseshell.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I''m with the group here- the ones on the right give you much better protection from the sun, which is at least half the point, right?
2.gif

I have a similar pair, and they''re nice because you can wear them with almost anything :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones on the right! I like the shape on your face better (especially up in the eyebrow area).

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I think you''ve got me convinced. I''ll ask them to order the ones on the right in Tortoiseshell, and forget about the ones on the left. At least I''ll have a hard time losing such a big clunky pair!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer also that the ones on the right cover your eyebrows, I don''t like to see eyebrows over sunglasses!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The ones on the right are great, they almost look too big for your face (I have a small face and a very difficult time finding glasses, which means heightened awareness of this) but after looking again I like them better, the shape looks better on your face.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
yup, right ones.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I''m not sure why my tastes always end up going against the grain on these things. But I say hands-down the left. I like the color and shape a lot better.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Speaking from a few years in the industry, have you been told that they can RX the wraps?? Do you have a high tolerance for changes in your lenses. In other words, if you wear you regular glasses with a base curve of 2.0 and then put on the RX wraps with a curve of 8.0, will your eyes tolerate it? What kind of a return policy do they provide if you can''t?

That being said, again from being in the industry, I like them both. Completely different and both necessary. The wraps are definitely sporty and would be great for all of your outdoor activities and driving, but I''d say the ones on the left if you''re going shopping, walking into your office, etc.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the ones on the right - I like them better on you.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I agree - the ones on the right!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results