shape
carat
color
clarity

Help buying a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SV

Rough_Rock
I am contemplating buying the following diamond for an enagegement ring at a price OF US$5,300.00 with the following specs:

Carat - 0.80
Cut - Round Brilliant
Color- E
Clarity - VVS2
Certification - GIA m
Cut Quality - ICE Ideal H&A

Measurements - 5.96*6.00*3.66
Depth - 61.2
Table - 56

I have done a fair bit of research on the Internet, but I find myself more confused than before. Can any of the experts help? Am I getting value for money? Is the certification appropriate in the circumstances ? I live in Europe is it worth going to Antwerp for a better deal/quality ?

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
SV,

I'm still learning a ton here as well and am no expert by any means. I would suggest you run some searches and review the material here on PS... I ran a quick search and what I found is below... Seems like there may be some better values within your criteria... Uhm, one other thing to consider is your clarity and color parameters. Should you be inclined to consider a VS2 and F or G color and purchase online you can get a more substantial stone that is more than 'eye clean' and very white and still stay in the same price range... I just went through this with my hunt, I started at D/E color and IF to VVS1/2 and after looking at stones, learning the reports, studying cuts, I have modified my search. I am getting ready to buy a G Color and SI1 Clarity stone that is more than .25 ct larger than where I started and thanks to folks here a much much better cut... Just a thought...

search.jpg

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that image... This one is a little more clear...

search2.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
0.8-E-VVS2
depth 61.2, table 56
5.96*6.00*3.66
Seems like the diamond you talk about is from Abazias, but more expensive...
:)

abazias.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
With US$727, you can buy a beautiful ring for your diamond...
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
MichaelF - to be fair, SV specs on the one he found says it is an "ICE Ideal H&A". Whatever that means, we should assume it is an H&A and thus command a slight premium.

So, doing another search, these are the comparable stones. It also looks like the one he's looking at is from Abazias.

When I was looking for mine, 0.8 E/VVS1, there weren't too many. I find vendors do not stock to many D/E/F IF/VVS1/VVS2 > 0.5ct or < 1.0ct.

e_vvs2.jpg

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Jim,

Good points, some of the info wasn't in play when I made my post... My larger point still stands that perhaps by moving a few variables around he could do better, but much of that is in the eye of the beholder and he may not feel comfortable making that compromise... I did...

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results