shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!! and hopefully some advice

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I'm just curious and want to know if anyone has had this issue before.

1. I recently (within the past month) bought a gorgeous 5 stone ring with 2 surprise diamonds on the side. It's truly gorgeous : 2.10 ctw WG all "F" color VS2. When I received the ring it was everything I thought I wanted. Very fiery and gorgeous. As I've worn the ring I have found that I'm not sure that I'm in LOVE with the ring. It's very comfortable, and fits me great but I'm not sure that I love the overall look.
There are times where I really love it, but then I look at my "N" Transitional diamond that I am looking to reset and think that I like better. Plus I think I love a more vintage look.

I also think that for the price of the 5 stone that I should have reset my transitional and also bought a French cut band.

Anyone every have this type of dilemma? Im just curious if anyone has ever bought something and thought- I like it, but not sure I Love it? If so, what do you do? I know the 5 stone is fantastic but there are times where it doesn't "feel" like it has any warmth and I'm wondering if I'm reacting to the overall color? Maybe I'm not used to diamonds being so colorless lol.

Just thinking and wondering how others have feel - thanks for any opinions!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also bought a five stone ring. Five beautiful Solasfera diamonds hand picked and around 1.65 ctw. I didn't love it. I sold it to fund my Emerald Cut Diamond RHR. And before I sold it I had it reset because I didn't like the first setting (which I picked). You are not alone. Sadly all choices/changes cost money. :wall: And I still find I have things in my jewelry box I would like to change.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, unobuck! I have a new 4.3mm five-stone tranny ring and a (old) 4mm RB bezel solitaire, both of which I wear/have worn frequently, all set in rose gold. I've definitely noticed, after wearing them all the time, I personally (1) prefer the floral virtual facet shape of a tranny, compared with the splintery RB in that size, and (2) I like the color of the K-L tranny and its slightly-less-warm neighbor in my 5-stone better than the less-tinted stones on the other side of the ring. It's like the "on" facets are ivory and "off" ones are sort of a dark charcoal/espresso color which works better (imo) with my skin tone and the rose gold setting.

My e-ring is a EGL I tranny, and I've worn that practically every day since we got engaged 3-and-a-bit years ago... so maybe you're noticing what I am: that, after getting used to a not-white-white tranny, the modern RB facet pattern doesn't make your heart sing, and the soft white of a more tinted stone is more your preference? I would NEVER have guessed these things about myself if I hadn't had those direct comparisons to make (i.e., warm vs white in the same ring, and tranny vs RB).

One thing I love about PS is that the community acknowledges that tastes sometimes change over time, and with more knowledge about your preferences you may even be surprised with what you like & don't like... I'm reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and the author's advice is that everything that doesn't bring you joy has no place in your life. (Which is kind of over-the-top, but I think it applies well to jewelry...) As in, if you look at it and while it's pretty you mostly feel sad that it's not exactly what you want, it's actually hurting you more to keep it than to change it to something you DO want. Plus, all your jewelry wants is to make someone deliriously happy -- if that person isn't you, thank your pretties for what they taught you about yourself (maybe that you like tinted stones, or trannies better than RBs), and then release your jewelry so it can find the person it's meant to be with.

So, the philosophy is a little granola - and goodness knows, making a change is kind of terrifying when this much money is involved - so YMMV, but it sounds like you are trying to shoehorn your preferences into the ring you have and it's an uncomfortable fit. :( Are you within a return/exchange policy window, or do you think it's possible to sell on the secondary market and recoup enough of what you paid to get what would really make you happy? There are certainly people looking for high-quality 5-stone rings on Preloved every now and then...

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
thanks for the responses!

Both have been very helpful!

Evergreen- I think you nailed it and what a great explanation- that is exactly how I feel.

So I guess the next step is to figure out how to either sell my ring or to see if I will eventually love it. I've had it for less than a month so maybe it will grow on me lol

So any advice out there on how to sell on Price scope or Loup troop or anywhere else? And how much to ask for? I know what I paid for it and I just bought it August 26, not even sure how much to sell it for besides what I paid for it.

Its a BGD Trellis 2 : 2.10 ctw 5 stone all F VS2 and two small melee side stones on the shank.

advice welcome.

Thanks!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Unobuck, no harm in waiting to see if it grows on you! There is always a price hit one takes when selling second-hand, although you could put out feelers in PreLoved, just let everyone know what you paid (if you're comfortable doing that) and see if anyone is interested for that price or has a counteroffer that you would consider. (It always frustrates me when people describe their item and ask for offers, without disclosing what the ring is "worth" in the real world, i.e., what you paid for it.) You could see if anyone is looking for a ring like yours at a price that would make you happy, and if there isn't anyone, well, by golly keep wearing it and see how you feel!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unobuck- If you do decide to post it on preloved, would you mention it in this thread? I am interested :naughty: .

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Evergreen- thanks for the advice! And I agree- I understand the frustration about not knowing what a "fair price" would be. It usually deters me from even offering since I don't want to insult anyone lol. I might put feelers out on Preloved and see what happens. It's hard though. I love aspects of the ring and then some days I could live without it lol.
Im a newbie at jewelry so its been a fun ride!

@ JDDN: The ring is a size 4.75 18k WG the center stone is 0.60 , 0.405, 0.419, 0.32, 0.322 all are F VS2 and the nightingale shank that has 2 small bezel set mele diamonds. F/G VS
I received the ring August 25th and paid $8911.58.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! Many of us (including me) have been in your shoes, especially if we stick around here long enough! The hardest thing about buying custom is not being able to try the ring on in advance, and then you can't return it. I suppose since you are within 30 days, you could see if they'd take back the center stone which would be the most expensive, and then set a colored gemstone instead. You will lose a good bit selling the whole ring, partly because of the F color, since most people around here look for G-J color to moderate the cost a bit.

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hello

Thanks Diamondseeker for the information. I'm such a newbie lol. the ring I bought is exactly what I asked for and wanted, but I didn't know myself - jewelry wise very well. :wall: lol

So this is a very good lesson for me to learn.

I had a wonderful experience with BGD and for my first major jewelry purchase it was hugely successful.

I still love the ring for multiple reasons, but I think I have discovered Im a OEC or old diamond cut girl.

Luckily I have found a lot of great inspiration on Pricescope! Everyone has been so super nice and I have gotten so much great information!
I will continue my journey for a great reset for my grandmas stone- it will be a fun ride!

So- wish me luck :D

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it sounds so lovely. I'm in the process of upgrading my e-ring right now, but my next project will probably be a 5 stone or a gemstone. I've always loved the BGD 5 stone trellis and the proportions of your stones sound gorgeous.

After you live with it for awhile and enjoy wearing it :)) , if you decide to post it, please let us know!

Oh, and will you do a SMTB thread on it?? I'm sure many of us would love to see it!!

Edit: I just saw that you posted it in Preloved. Ignore my request! It's gorgeous by the way!!

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Thanks JDDN!

It is really gorgeous in real life- but again I Love the flowery facets of old diamonds a little more.

Guess we will see what happens. :- )

And great idea to start a SMTB thread! It will be fun to show people!

But, if you are interested in it... let me know ;- )

Good luck on your current project!! Hope to see your SMTB thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results