shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! About to buy from ebay (first time) & I need advice!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I''ve never used ebay before, and I am about to bid on a Limited Edition Sidekick (retails for $350 w/ a 2 year contract). The highest bid right now is $100.59...what should I do?? Should I bid on it?? The seller has a good reputation (great feedback), but what else should I look for??

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Check to see that shipping is reasonable, and only bid as much as you are comfortable. For instance if it''s going to go up to close to retail, you might just want to buy it new.

Also, be sure the SideKick is from the same Wireless company that you use. Most of the equipment is proprietary (since Tmobile is TDMA, Cingular is GSM, Verizon is CDMA) and won''t work on another network. (I used to work in wireless & telecom before becoming a mommy...so some technology has changed in the last 2 years, but I still think equipment is network proprietary for the most part, and quite a few companies are not SIM card driven at this time).

HTH

Jeannine

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
oh sorry, T-mobile is GSM...but you get what I was trying to say, different companies use different technologys. but after looking at the auction, be sure you are willing to be a Tmobile customer before you buy this. They are fine as wireless companies go, but be sure you can get data service in your area. If you aren''t in a Tmobile coverage area this isn''t for you.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~It says that it's for T-Mobile (since they are the only company that sells sidekicks), and the technology is GSM...would that be accurate?? ETA: I just saw your previous post... is there anything that I should be leery of, as far as the item goes??

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My only concern would be that a scammer took over the seller's account. I didn't notice any red flags tho in my brief look at the auction. The only minor concern about a scammer taking over is that she hasn't had any action in quite some time. So, it does fit the profile of a nice feedback but dormant account that the scammers like to target. However, since there are SOOOO many of these types of accounts, it doesn't necessarily mean a scammer took over.

Otherwise, just watch out for how much shipping is. As for the final price, it may be ok to pay a premium if it really is hard to find this item in stores. The Playstation 3 and TMX Elmo are prime examples.

The Sidekick 3 really only is useful on T-Mobile. So, make sure you're willing to use the T-Mobile network.

What area of the country are you in? Asian cell phone stores will typically give you money if you sign a contract but don't take a phone. Also, GSM phones are easily unlocked. This allows you to use any GSM phone on any of the GSM networks (right now, I think it's just down to Cingular (which bought AT&T) vs. T-Mobile (which uses Cingular towers in some areas). While the Sidekick 3 can be unlocked, many of its cooler features can't be used on Cingular's network. This makes it one of the rare cases where unlocking won't do you much good.

Oh, I forgot about sniping. This is prolly a prime target for sniping. Sniping is when someone bids at the last second. There are computer programs that do this for you. I typically bid 8 seconds before an auction ends. I have two screens open to the item. One is all ready to bid at the click of a button. The other is used to keep refreshing to keep track of the item. The lowest most computer programs have automatically set as their "bid" time is 10 seconds. However, I have been beat even when bidding at 8 seconds.

If I'm really interested in an item, I never bid on it except early in the auction. Bidding only raises the price and lets snipers know you're interested in the item. Since this is your first time on eBay and it's relatively early in the process, it might be a good idea to bid a tiny amount. Just so you see the entire process of bidding.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
seems ok to me. he hasn''t bought or sold anything for 6 months, hmmm....

he has only the one listing, it''s not like he''s got 200 of these to sell....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to interrupt, but how can a scammer take over someone''s account? I haven''t bought or sold anything in a little while...can someone steal my account???

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Thanks for the input everyone!! I have decided not to bid on the phone...For me, there are too many "what ifs" and too much uncertainty for me to buy this phone. I''ll probably just go back to Verizon since I''ve never used T-Mobile anyway, and I CAN''T WAIT to get away from Sprint!!! LOL
2.gif

SYR

Rough_Rock
Hi Bling Diva. THis isnt about your sidekick but I didnt know how to contact you any other way. I am considering purchasing an emerald cut ring very similar to yours. I cant decide if I want one with the pave diamonds like yours or one with side stones. I know I want an eternity band. Out of curiosity what does your wedding band look like. I am curious to know how your setting would look with an ec eternity band.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 7:31:30 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Sorry to interrupt, but how can a scammer take over someone''s account? I haven''t bought or sold anything in a little while...can someone steal my account???

Yes. They hack your password. Once they have your password and username, they can take over. If you haven''t checked your eBay account in a while, it''s possible a scammer took it over and started selling stuff using your hard earned good feedback to trick buyers into giving them money. Then, they disappear and everyone is looking for you cuz it was your account.

I''m gonna check my eBay account too. I haven''t been active for quite a while and I do have a lot of feedback that''s 100% positive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results