shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a girl with some makeup tips pleeease?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I wear makeup, but I don''t do it up special too often. For work and the usual, it''s just your basic foundation, undereye stuff, faint eyeliner, some pink-ish shadow sometimes, and mascara. I wear mostly bare minerals now, but still like my clinique foundation on many days for my really sensitive skin.

So the wedding is next Friday. I considered having my makeup professionally done, but there''s something in me that can''t justify spending that much money to have someone do what I can almost do myself. I really prefer my bare minerals, and I plan on using that for the wedding, since it stays on well and looks good in photos I''ve been in so far. I have waterproof mascara, which I wear when I dress up and all, so I''ll be using that. Most of the pros say they use mac or bobby brown or something, and I really worry about using brand new things on my skin too, and feeling more cakey and way more made up than usual.

What I''m mainly looking for are tips on how to do the eyes. I''ve just never been very talented at the shading and knowing how to contour and all that jazz. I could do it like I normally do for dressing up, which isn''t terrible, but I know that even that isn''t done right to get the contours and coloring done like it really could be done to look awesome. And if there''s any time I want to look definitely awesome, it''s for my wedding. I''ve looked online, but all I find are tutorials that just kind of walk you through the steps, which doesn''t really help me much. I need to know if I need special brushes (I really don''t have any), or if there''s a better kind/brand of eyeshadow that I should go get (I mostly have clinique eyeshadows, just the normal, not creams or anything like that). Are there any techniques that make it easier to apply and look good? Any websites or anything that really helped you guys out when you were trying to learn this?

Also, if you have any tips in general for what to make sure I do with my makeup in general for the wedding, pass''em on! I honestly welcome and appreciate any advice, as this is definitely NOT my area of expertise!

35.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Luv, I think BE is a great idea!!! I believe in them SO much that I'm actually taking my foundation with me wedding day so my make up artist can use it instead of MAC
9.gif

That being said, I know of some wonderful tutorials for makeup that you can use. I use makeupgeek.com for all of my tutorials. She is AMAZING!!! Not only does she show you step by step what she does, but she lists ALL of the products she uses (including brushes) in a list below her videos. Also, if you watch her videos, you can get an idea of colors she uses. If you're on a budget and don't want to buy the 6 mac shadows she uses in a video, you can match the colors by looking closely at what she uses. Typically, she describes the kind of color she is using so you should be able to match it very easily. Personally, I love MAC, but find that NYX offers great pigmentation with their shadow colors (you can get them at Ulta). I would also recommend using MAC's primer (painterly paint pot) called Soft Ochre for a matte base that the shadows will stick well to. A base is a must, especially for such a long day, or else your shadows won't stay on well. Here are some that I feel would be great wedding make up:

A very sexy and dramatic look Linky

A sexy bronze look Link

An 'old hollywood' dramatic look Link

A very pretty bronzey look, a bit more subtle Link

Soft bronze look Link

Natural smoky eye Link

An absolutely GORGEOUS pink look, very soft but still very sexy Link
This is my favorite look!

Hope I was of some help
2.gif

girlygirl29

Rough_Rock
My tip for you would be to have a sister, friend or someone close to you help you with the eye shadows the day of. Choose someone who''s style you like and you can trust to help you achieve the look you want. Use all the items you want for foundation, powder, mascara and liner. Then I would go get a copy of a couple magazines that show the step by step makeup tips, I recommend People style watch and In style. Chose one or a couple looks of shadow you want to achieve and buy the new shadows you will need (likely a base and 1-2 colors). Then do a trial run...you do the face and your friend helps with the shadow. Depending on the results you can make a couple changes on the big day.

Good luck!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Go to your local MAC/Clinique/favourite makeup counter, and explain the situation to them. Ask them to create a look that would be simple to replicate by a makeup-inexperienced person. Take a friend/sister with you as an extra pair of eyes to remember what''s going on. Buy a few key items (you don''t need everything they suggest).

Then practice, practice, PRACTICE this week. Try to take digital photos of your handiwork, as eye makeup can be difficult to see accurately in the mirror!

The Bobbi Brown website has good tutorials.

Good luck!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly congrats on your forthcoming wedding. My advise would be to try to stick closely to your usual look and don''t go for anything too different to what you usually wear. I intend on doing my own makeup as I want to keep it simple and I don''t want my FI to think "WHO IS THAT???" when he sees me walking down the isle
23.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo you''re so close! I would stick to your normal bare minerals, that''s what I use normally and that''s what my makeup artist used the day of and said she uses on everyone. We also used bare minerals eye shadows and I highly recommend picking some of those up they work great and are easy to use. Good luck!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 10:52:27 PM
Author: princessplease
Luv, I think BE is a great idea!!! I believe in them SO much that I''m actually taking my foundation with me wedding day so my make up artist can use it instead of MAC
9.gif

That being said, I know of some wonderful tutorials for makeup that you can use. I use makeupgeek.com for all of my tutorials. She is AMAZING!!! Not only does she show you step by step what she does, but she lists ALL of the products she uses (including brushes) in a list below her videos. Also, if you watch her videos, you can get an idea of colors she uses. If you''re on a budget and don''t want to buy the 6 mac shadows she uses in a video, you can match the colors by looking closely at what she uses. Typically, she describes the kind of color she is using so you should be able to match it very easily. Personally, I love MAC, but find that NYX offers great pigmentation with their shadow colors (you can get them at Ulta). I would also recommend using MAC''s primer (painterly paint pot) called Soft Ochre for a matte base that the shadows will stick well to. A base is a must, especially for such a long day, or else your shadows won''t stay on well. Here are some that I feel would be great wedding make up:

A very sexy and dramatic look Linky

A sexy bronze look Link

An ''old hollywood'' dramatic look Link

A very pretty bronzey look, a bit more subtle Link

Soft bronze look Link

Natural smoky eye Link

An absolutely GORGEOUS pink look, very soft but still very sexy Link
This is my favorite look!

Hope I was of some help
2.gif
PP is DEFINITELY RIGHT on the highlighted portion. You should most certainly wear some sort of eye primer the day of your wedding. It really won''t change the look of your eye makeup, but it will help it stay all day and night! Just be careful to let it fully set before putting on your powder shadow...it can cause streaks if it''s not perfectly dry!

Also, ditto to LilyKat on the practice practice practice. I''ve been in two weddings so far as a BM, and I''m about to be in my third in May, and I''ve even spent the week leading up to THOSE weddings testing my makeup to make sure I could do it perfectly!

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals and best of luck with the makeup...I''m sure it will be gorgeous!!!

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I like this girl''s make up tutorial. I hope it''ll help.

Link

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
youtube it....they have great videos on their that show how to do make-up.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for your tips so far! They are much appreciated.

PP - Oh, makeupgeek! I think I''ve seen her online before, but never watched in depth. I will definitely check those links out - thank you so much for narrowing down to a few for me! I remember that she had SO much information on there that it was overwhelming to look through.

girlygirl - I would definitely do that if I had girls that were going to be there with me. No sister, and the only females there will be my mom and grandmothers. It''s a tiny group for the wedding. I thought about getting my mom to be the second hand person like you mentioned, but she''s got a very different style of makeup than I do. My attempts at letting her do my eye makeup in the past has resulted in something that I didn''t think looked very good on me. Just different styles thgouh - it works great for her, just not me.

Lilykat - Thanks for the tips! I will DEFINITELY be practicing this weekend.

Londongirl - Yes that is DEFINITELY my plan! That''s the main reason I was wary of having a pro do it - in the past, pro people usually go waaaaay above and beyond what I usually do, and I end up feel so cakey and completely unlike myself. FI would hate that too.

Purselover - Hey yeah, maybe I''ll take a look at the bare minerals eye shadow - is it a very different consistency than normal eyeshadow compacts? Does it spread on differently?

vc10 - Thank you for the tips! I will definitely look for a primer. I''ve thought about it before and never followed through.

bibiloves - Thanks!

tao - Any specific ones you like? The loads of info on there is just so overwhelming.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I''m actually a special events make-up artist for Clinique and recommend basically what''s already been said. Watch tutorials online and practice like crazy! There are also some amazing books out there by Kevin Aucoin, however I think since you only have a short amount of time online tutorials will be best.

For an eye primer, I live by MAC''s Paints in Untitled. I''ve used this on all the brides I do (I freelance for weddings and photoshoots) and this stuff is unstoppable. Actually, most brides I''ve done trials on end up buying it for themselves.

Make sure you avoid foundations and powders with really high levels of titanium dioxide in them. All make-ups have them, but just make sure they come farther down in the ingredient list. In photos the flash reflects off the TiN Dioxide and makes you look super pale.

You can also go the route of booking an appointment at the Bare Essentials counter or Sephora (they also carry the mineral lines) and the consultation is free with purchase, however you have to make sure that the person doing your make-up can do what you ask. So many times these artists tend to only do their make-up the way they like their own. Find someone who does their own make-up in the way you want yours...or ask around and find out who the best is and request them. Bringing a photo of something in a magazine always helps as well.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I did my own makeup, and I''m definitely not skilled in it. I just wanted a natural look, so I figured I could pull that off. I did get a book to help me out with tailoring my makeup to my facial shape, eye color, etc.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Seems like you''ve gotten some really good tips here - I''d just add one more. Make sure you do a trial run once you have all of your products in hand, and then do two things once the makeup is on:

1. take pictures, to see how it photographs in different lights. What looks good IRL often looks completely different in a photo, and you don''t want any unpleasant surprises in your wedding photos, and

2. Make sure you wear it for at least 1/2 a day, to make sure it doesn''t all just slide off/fade - again, this is something that can be fine in everyday makeup, but really undesirable for wedding makeup.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
pinki - Thanks so much for all your advice. I do have a question - Bare Minerals has titanium dioxide as the first ingredient. The original foundation doesn''t say how much. But the new matte says it has 12% titanium dioxide, and 21% zinc oxide. Is this really bad for the amount of it? Or would the matte be a better choice than the original?

jstarfireb - Yay, a vote! I really shouldn''t be that worried about it - it''s not like people are used to seeing me with fabulously, perfectly-done eye makeup anyway. I just want it to look as great as possible, if the potential is even there.

AmberGretchen - Thanks for the tips. I''ll make sure I photograph, and I''ll try to wear it to work one day this week. How do you tell if it''s actually sliding off? Just if you get oily, or if the eye colors fade?

Princess_Dreamer

Rough_Rock
My sister is really into make up, mostly eyes and lips. You could look at her website/blog for some inspiration. She tells you what colors/brands, brushes, all that stuff.

www.coloruza.com

Hope that helps :) Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results