carat
color
clarity

[Help] 1 Carat Fancy Light Orangy Pink Diamond

mewing

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am in need of help.

I am about to purchase this 1 carat fancy light orangy pink diamond. It's SI2 quality and a small clear white crystal can be seen without magnification.

I've been offered a fairly reasonable price and I'm very tempted to purchase it. But I'd like to hear what you guys think about it. In addition, can any industry experts also share much something like this would go for in the market? Is there potential for future growth for a diamond like this?

Videos

1. Pink Diamond Under Sunlight
  2. Pink Diamond Under LED

Many thanks in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 6.11.17 PM.jpeg

mewing

Rough_Rock
**edited by moderator, this is not allowed on the forum to ensure it is bias free**

Thanks! It did sparkle when i saw it in person. The videos were a bit of a mess I have to admit. I do agree that it's cut a little too deep. What is the ideal depth for coloured diamonds? Does it adhere to the same requirements as white diamonds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
colored diamonds are often cut on the deep side but it gets to a point where the reduced spread is ridicules.
**edited to comply with policies**

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diamond is not close to an intense color, and the presence of more color is essential for the value to be maximized. This is the way most fancy color diamonds are cut in order to show the most color, not the most sparkle, etc. The market for such diamonds is just not comparable to the near colorless market. You can buy a fancy color diamond you especially love just the way it is so long as you understand what you are about to purchase. Having a good understanding of how near colorless diamonds are cut is not very helpful with understanding how colored diamonds are cut to enhance their main ingredient "their color".

If you want a larger look, you may need to pay for more weight than anticipated. Don't expect to find a Light Fancy cut to GIA 3EX proportions. It would be very unusual to mitigate the costly color in order to make it more sparkly yet more colorless.

I hope this makes sense to those reading the thread.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your reasons for buying this? Do you like the way it looks and you plan on keeping it?
Colored stones (like this one and diamonds in general) are not good "investments". Dont plan
on it going up in value and trying to unload it will be difficult IMO. It really doesnt have much
going for it IMO (sorry).

If you like it and plan on keeping it for your enjoyment, then great. Otherwise hard pass.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isnt a good stone (imho). The color isnt impressive and the cut is not helping. Colored diamonds arent usually cut to "ideal" standards because they are cut to highlight color. But this one doesnt have impressive color and largely looks lifeless. If you like it and plan to keep it then that's great, but it definitely wont sell for more than you're paying.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you are looking for colored diamonds then leibish and diamonds by lauren are the best sources. James allen also has some nice pink/orange stones for reasonable prices.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI All!!!
**edited by moderator to comply with policies**

In terms of color- the presence of Orange lessens the price of most pinks-....generally speaking between a 30-50% reduction in price for the presence of orange..
IN some cases, the orange is not a detraction to the pink- but sometimes it is.

I have different experiences with cut than my esteemed colleague David Atlas.
For one thing, the cut quality of Fancy Colored Diamonds, in general, is heads and shoulders above what it was just 10 years back.
Of course, color projection out the top is crucial for Fancy Colors- the cutters have been aided by computers and now we see equal color- yet smaller tables- and higher crowns on Radiant and cushion modified brilliant fancy colored diamonds. This gives them more overall brilliance, from a greater range of viewing angles.
Bottom line- it's not necessary to buy badly cut Fancy Colored Diamonds nowadays...because the average is so much better today.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks RockDIamond for your good explanation and with your more expert and better perspective. I hoped you'd chime in and you did!. I think your post was really helpful.

mewing

Rough_Rock
HI All!!!

In terms of color- the presence of Orange lessens the price of most pinks-....generally speaking between a 30-50% reduction in price for the presence of orange..
IN some cases, the orange is not a detraction to the pink- but sometimes it is.

I have different experiences with cut than my esteemed colleague David Atlas.
For one thing, the cut quality of Fancy Colored Diamonds, in general, is heads and shoulders above what it was just 10 years back.
Of course, color projection out the top is crucial for Fancy Colors- the cutters have been aided by computers and now we see equal color- yet smaller tables- and higher crowns on Radiant and cushion modified brilliant fancy colored diamonds. This gives them more overall brilliance, from a greater range of viewing angles.
Bottom line- it's not necessary to buy badly cut Fancy Colored Diamonds nowadays...because the average is so much better today.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. You have no idea how much I needed to hear your feedback!

Ok the videos were a hot mess because I was moving them from FB to my WhatsApp and from my WhatsApp to my phone then on YouTube.

This is the colour that I saw in person. I'm not sure if it is considered a good orangy-pink colour, but personally I enjoy this colour combination (reminds me of salmon).

I'm planning to purchase it for my personal enjoyment but of course I want to enjoy the feeling of knowing that my diamond will increase in value in 10 years time as well.

This trader is a close friend of mine and he's asking for USD $16,000. Based on my research this is very competitive pricing, but I'm open to anyone else who is able to give me a good deal too.

In addition, I also understand that Australia has closed its pink diamond mine. As such, I've been told that prices are moving upwards (can someone verify if this is true?). In fact, this dealer has increased the prices of all his pink diamonds, including this one. He's only selling it to me at a special price because I've spent quite a bit with him *sheepish smile*

IMG_6053.JPG

mewing

Rough_Rock
colored diamonds are often cut on the deep side but it gets to a point where the reduced spread is ridicules.
**edited by moderator**

Yes I totally understand where you are coming from.

I wish white diamonds would cut it for me as well. But unfortunately I prefer coloured diamonds :(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO 16k is too expensive for this stone. And unless your stone has paperwork proving it's from the Argyle mines (that's what closed in AUS), it has no bearing on the pricing of your stone.

*I said "Way too expensive" but I take that back when comparing to orange/pink GIA diamonds. I just don't personally think that the stone is worth the asking price

Last edited:

mewing

Rough_Rock
IMHO 16k is WAY too expensive for this stone. And unless your stone has paperwork proving it's from the Argyle mines (that's what closed in AUS), it has no bearing on the pricing of your stone.

Would be interested to know what exactly is the going price.

As far am I am aware from both my online research and contacting different dealers from everywhere, the price quoted to me for a 1 carat is far above 16k for a pink.

I should have bought the one that was offered to me 15 years ago! It was USD 11k!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would be interested to know what exactly is the going price.

As far am I am aware from both my online research and contacting different dealers from everywhere, the price quoted to me for a 1 carat is far above 16k for a pink.

I should have bought the one that was offered to me 15 years ago! It was USD 11k!

I edited my above post to reflect that it isn't fair to say "way overpriced". I just don't think it's worth the asking price.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As such, I've been told that prices are moving upwards (can someone verify if this is true?)

This is the most important part.....as a dealer, who works with consumers all day, I loathe the misinformation which is all too commonly spread.
@mewing- of course, I don't blame you, but whoever told you that was misleading you. Sadly, the part about rising prices is another "fact" meant to mislead....
Yes, the mine is closing, but that doesn't automatically mean any Argyle stone will increase in value.....and maybe someone is raising their prices...but that does not mean people are paying the higher asking prices....

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think 16K is a bad price but it’s not of the quality or rarity that has and will continue to appreciate in value.
It should “hold” good value but with all diamonds, fancy coloured diamonds included, resale as “pre loved” (when you arent a diamond trader/ jeweller) is always difficult.
The pool of potential buyers is much smaller for fancy colours.
With fancy colours you want the word “vivid” not ”light” and “orange/ pink” is not “pink”.
An Arygle certified diamond is a whole other price point (and for a reason - ultra rare, very desired and no more).
I would buy it only if you truly love it, not as an investment.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to say that I've seen some pinkish brown tinted D-Z stones that have about the same amount of intensity and they would be half the price.

Alex Park posted this sweet .39 oval today for $2200. Still available!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPbo0dFSWl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Its height is almost 6mm, and put into a rose gold setting with pink melee halo, that would satisfy my need for a pink stone ring at a fraction of the cost.

Having said that, you seem very partial to this stone so if you really, really love it, go for it.

mewing

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for your replies!

I've been really tied up at work! But I really appreciate that you guys have taken time to respond to me. I also appreciate that no one here has minced their words!

Am I partial to it? I'm not sure. I do like that it is 1 carat. I like the price. But what made me extremely concerned was that you guys suggested that it probably will not sparkle because of its depth.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice for anyone who may be interested in purchasing a pink diamond to see more pictures! I've attached another picture by the dealer in this post!

More importantly, I'm going to heed your advice and sit on my money and wait around for a bit!

Attachments

• IMG_6094.JPG
    IMG_6094.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

mewing

Rough_Rock
This is the most important part.....as a dealer, who works with consumers all day, I loathe the misinformation which is all too commonly spread.
@mewing- of course, I don't blame you, but whoever told you that was misleading you. Sadly, the part about rising prices is another "fact" meant to mislead....
Yes, the mine is closing, but that doesn't automatically mean any Argyle stone will increase in value.....and maybe someone is raising their prices...but that does not mean people are paying the higher asking prices....

Thanks! You are extremely candid for a diamond dealer hehe! I really appreciate that!

mewing

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry to say that I've seen some pinkish brown tinted D-Z stones that have about the same amount of intensity and they would be half the price.

Alex Park posted this sweet .39 oval today for $2200. Still available!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPbo0dFSWl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Its height is almost 6mm, and put into a rose gold setting with pink melee halo, that would satisfy my need for a pink stone ring at a fraction of the cost.

Having said that, you seem very partial to this stone so if you really, really love it, go for it.

Ya! I almost purchased a 1 carat pink diamond from Alex. If i'm not wrong it was a fancy brownish purplish pink. I thought it was lovely, but I didn't like the I1 grading. It was going for a fantastic price though, 10 or 11k if I'm not wrong.

I realise that pink is a very subtle colour in a diamond, and a brownish modifier would actually be very helpful. But after my green diamond, I've realised that I cannot live with a grey or brown modifier in my diamond even if it is nearly imperceptible lol! Bizarre I know.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ya! I almost purchased a 1 carat pink diamond from Alex. If i'm not wrong it was a fancy brownish purplish pink. I thought it was lovely, but I didn't like the I1 grading. It was going for a fantastic price though, 10 or 11k if I'm not wrong.

I realise that pink is a very subtle colour in a diamond, and a brownish modifier would actually be very helpful. But after my green diamond, I've realised that I cannot live with a grey or brown modifier in my diamond even if it is nearly imperceptible lol! Bizarre I know.

I think I know which one! Yeah, the price of SI2/I1 pinks are crazy... And you're right about modifiers. My only pink stone is probably pinkish brown than brownish pink but I'm curiously not into the pure pinks hence I won't go down the lab route either as they are just that bit too saturated to look real.

I think it's worth the effort to find the right stone. Still some reasonable ones out there.

mewing

Rough_Rock
I think I know which one! Yeah, the price of SI2/I1 pinks are crazy... And you're right about modifiers. My only pink stone is probably pinkish brown than brownish pink but I'm curiously not into the pure pinks hence I won't go down the lab route either as they are just that bit too saturated to look real.

I think it's worth the effort to find the right stone. Still some reasonable ones out there.

I can totally relate to what you are saying :razz:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Really not an expert here, but if I wanted to buy something that would have a recognizable value in years to come, I'd look at that Leibish stone. Better yet, reach out to Diamonds by Lauren. If I were buying a diamond from a the 2nd hand market, my 1st question would be, "Where did you get it?"

mewing

Rough_Rock
Really not an expert here, but if I wanted to buy something that would have a recognizable value in years to come, I'd look at that Leibish stone. Better yet, reach out to Diamonds by Lauren. If I were buying a diamond from a the 2nd hand market, my 1st question would be, "Where did you get it?"

It's not second hand :)

Both companies are great, but 16k for a pink diamond without a brown modifier is an extremely good price that is unmatched nearly anyone else out there. My 2 carat GIA green diamond was from the exact same dealer.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean the one you're considering is 2nd hand. Bad writing on my part. Everyone here is just trying to keep you from making an uninformed/unwise purchase but evidently you've looked around quite a bit.
I will say, size isn't everything. I bought a 1.17 EC that's so deep it faces up like a .90 but it sparkles so much it's my favorite one.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm planning to purchase it for my personal enjoyment but of course I want to enjoy the feeling of knowing that my diamond will increase in value in 10 years time as well.

@mewing ,
The above is the key. **edited by moderator, no commenting on a specific stone please** And only you can decide whether it's a good deal. It's a calculation of how much you love the stone versus how much disposable income do have.

It would be wise to completely forget about future value. While prices for pinks might very well increase over 10 years, unless you have great access to the market (basically that means not only being in the diamond trade, but being a dealer with a following for fancy color), you will have very little chance of reselling it profitably.

I'll never forget a comment I heard years ago when I was in the colored gemstone business: the only thing rarer than a fine Alexandrite... is a customer for a fine Alexandrite!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, there are MANY trade members that posted in this thread that have violated our policies by commenting on a stone under consideration. Those posts have been edited or removed depending on how much content was in violation.

Please remember that you may provide general information on colored stones or pricing but may not comment about a stone under consideration. This is to help ensure that trade members do not steer people to or away from competitors unfairly.

If you find yourself commenting on something specific to a stone/jeweler/buying situation, you're not in compliance with our policies. Thank you!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Appreciate the stone. However I agree with you that you should sit on your money $16000 is a lot of money and I'm sure your search will continue and you will found the perfect stone for you. I also agree that you purchase a stone for your enjoyment not for future sale

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results