shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart Rate Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Anyone use one? If so, what do you recommend?

I''m looking at getting one. FI has a Polar, but his has a chest strap transmitter. I''d like one that doesn''t have that, since it''s kind of in the way of a sports bra. Besides that, the only thing I definitely want is a calories burned feature.

I''ve been looking at a few online, but I wanted to see if there are any firsthand recommendations.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I thought they all had chest straps LTS, but then again, I only did a cursory search before purchasing mine.

It''s a Nike. Chose it based on features and color. Mostly the superficial second reason, to be honest.
2.gif
Pretty pleased.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
EDIT:

Uh...that's embarrassing. Nevermind. lol

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Polar is a good brand and you''ll have many different models to choose from. Most of them have the chest straps as they are more accurate and reliable. You can find a few versions that don''t have the chest bands but they won''t be quite as reliable. The nice thing about polars is that they can communicate with gym equipment so you can monitor your workout without using the watch...

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I have a Polar F6 - I love it! (Honestly, I didn''t know there was such a think as a HRM without a strap?
33.gif
) The strap has never bothered me, and I have used it for running, Spin class, weight training, etc. - it sits just under my sports bra. The Polar keeps daily files so your watch has up to 10 workouts on it that you can review with your length of exercise, calories burned, avg. HR, max HR - I love this since I am really trying to be religious about tracking my calorie intake/expenditure.
1.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I have a watch/HR monitor/calories burned monitor without a strap. (Sportline brand) If I were to buy another I would get one with a strap. My current one starts recording calories burned and then you push a button on the face of the watch to record your pulse. In order to best approximate calories burned during a workout, you need to record you pulse many times.

Once hands are sweaty from a run in 80 degree weather, it is nearly impossible to get a reading unless you a) dry your fingers and b) stop moving until the reading can register. Further, like most equipment, it is roughly based on the expenditure of a 70kg male. There isn''t an option to enter my own height or weight. At 100 lbs, the calories are off by at least 30%.

While strap may take some getting used to, they actually make sports bras that are made to hold a monitor strap in place. The straps are simply more accurate.

I originally thought a strap would be too uncomfortable and I would prefer to simply keep recording my pulse, but it hasn''t worked out that way. It is too bothersome.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for all the responses!!

babysteps - Yeah FI definitely recommended the chest strap, which is what his has. I just thought it wouldn''t fit well with a sports bra, but thanks for letting me know yours fits comfortably. I was actually looking at the Polar F6! Thanks for the great review of it.

aveda6 - FI also likes the Polar because it transmits to the gym equipment like you mentioned. So technically do you not need to wear the watch at all?

Munchkin - Thanks so much for your input. I was wondering how the ones without straps actually work, so I guess that answers my question. I figured they''d go by your wrist pulse, but according to what you''re saying, they actually just go by a finger pulse you have to give it every so often? Yeah... too much trouble, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results