shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthy Low Sugar Good Ingredient Items You've Found

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread was inspired by me FINALLY finding bread that doesn't have a ton of sugar and chemicals added to it and that I can feel good about eating.

Where has this bread been all my life?

http://www.mestemacher-gmbh.com/product-line/diet-and-fitness-breads/fitness-bread

Unless I'm missing something, that is a beautiful list of ingredients!

Plus, tons of fiber, and even some protein.

Granted - this bread is heavy - and it doesn't really toast no matter how high you set the toaster oven :lol: but who cares? I love knowing I'm not consuming dextrose and all the other stuff I usually see in breads :???:

Anyway - figured I'd share and hoping we can make a list of some other good stuff out there.

ETA: I do limit myself to 1 slice daily (it's a long slice, so it's actually roughly equal to 2 slices of the square bread we're used to) since 1 slice has 170 calories.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't toast at all??? That would be a deal-breaker for me :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No - I've put the toaster as high as 5 and still - nothing. You get a hint of crunchy but that's about it. :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of flavored yogurt, I have plain yogurt with honey and cinnamon. The other day, I ran out of plain yogurt so I grabbed one of DH's strawberry smoothie, and blehhh now it tastes TOO sweet! Sooo... it looks like I'm weaning off sugar now!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1461162210|4021646 said:
Instead of flavored yogurt, I have plain yogurt with honey and cinnamon. The other day, I ran out of plain yogurt so I grabbed one of DH's strawberry smoothie, and blehhh now it tastes TOO sweet! Sooo... it looks like I'm weaning off sugar now!

woo hoo Pinto that's huge!

Yes everything will start to taste way too sweet.

I do the same actually - plain Greek yogurt (no ingredients other than the yogurt and the live bacteria) and I cut up my own strawberries and bananas. Delicious.

Q

Queenie60

Okay girls - when you get to be my ripe old age of 55, the less sugar the better! Here's a recipe I came up with. Making your own protein bars. High in protein, fiber and low in sugar.

1 cup uncooked oatmeal

1 cup walnuts

2 Tablespoons flax seed

1/2 cup raisins

4 dried figs, diced

1/4 cups dried cranberries

Mix all in food processor - then add 3 TBS Almond butter and mix in food processor until well blended. Press into an 8 X 11 pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 325. Cool and cut into squares. Stays fresh in an airtight container.

They're delicious and very good for you. I usually have a small one with my coffee in the morning before my workout.

I sometimes double this (when my daughter is home from college!)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My girls & I bake heaps with bananas. Muffins, cake, bread - we've explored & enjoyed them all. No sugar & gluten free flour (my eldest cannot eat gluten, which is a pain in the backside when baking as it becomes heavy dough) & it makes for a very tasty treat. We save our brownish bananas for this. They're a bit yuk to eat, but SO yummy to make a sweet treat!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie the bars sound delicious, thank you for the recipe!

Maybe I'll be inspired one week and try them! I'd love to have them for my DH to grab for work as a snack.

AlexT - can you share your easiest recipe for bananas? (I love bananas - I eat two or 3 a day - not saying that's ideal, but better than so many other options! I like them green though like where the outside is mostly green with slight yellow - so as soon as they start to get ripe I don't like them. Would be great to have something quick to make on hand. Actually - if you can, in looking at Queenie's recipe - could bananas be added? and if so, how much and when?)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie's recipe is perfect for adding bananas to!! It would be trial & error for how many you would use, but you'll have fun eating the results! The general rule for baking with bananas is the riper, the better. But not black & gooey! The flavour gets stronger & sweeter, so I usually let them mottle brown before using them. To make 12 banana muffins I would use 4-5 small ones or 3 large. Google search for a basic muffin recipe & substitute any sugar for some ripe bananas. You'll be really surprised at how yummy they are!

Q

Queenie60

I think one banana would be fine however if you double the recipe I would use two. Great as a grab and go snack and full of protein!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks AlexT and Queenie - I hope I get inspired soon I'll surprise DH with them! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results