shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 9th November till 15th November

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

The Holidays are looming ever nearer, but there is still time to fit into those favourite party dresses if you put in a bit of extra effort. If you have been working hard and finding that your progress is so slow, don't forget to keep a close eye on the calories you are both eating and drinking, a little extra can soon add up to a lot as we know! Remember to make sure you are eating enough quality protein to avoid intense hunger and watch the carbs. Also look at the workouts and maybe change things up a bit, this really can help to keep it interesting and speed things up weightloss wise!

Don't forget with the colder weather it can be a good time to experiment with new recipes, soups and stews needn't be high calorie, I pack in as many veggies as I can with my stews and casseroles, things like tinned kidney beans can go well in these, not just for chili! Another thing I do is to chop up veggies such as potato, parsnip, peppers, onions, baby corn, drizzle over a little olive oil and roast in the oven. These are filling and nutritious. Once the veggies are cooked, sprinkle over a little sea salt and pepper, plus a little grated parmesan.

So there are lots of options for winter eating which needn't mean stodgy and high calorie. Maybe it would be good to share a few winter recipes and tips?

Have a great week
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
DF- I''m so sorry to read about your SO''s father passing. 40 is so young, and it is so unexpected. My heart, thoughts, and prayers are extended to you, your so, and his family.

Lorelei - mmm I love sea salt on my veggies! And fall harvest is an excellent time to switch around the eats! Great topic!

Just Looking, hello! I''m glad to read that you are recovering from your procedure!

Everyone, hello and happy monday!
35.gif
The boys are still in town and it was an exhausting weekend. I did take them hiking, and wake them up early, and hike a few trails at Piestewa Peak. The summit trail nearly killed them. 1.2 miles of a vertical climb around 1200 feet change in elevation. The rest of the trails weren''t as difficult by comparison... but just to really highlight the difficulty... you have to use your hands to grab rocks and pull yourself up. I burned 750 calories for only 1.2 miles... If I were to just WALK 1.2 miles, I''d burn almost 100 calories... running, closer to 150 calories... so you can see - it isn''t always the distance that = the calorie burn.. but the intensity. I felt a little bad about it, since 2 guys were so hungover, and are chain smokers, and had to stop about every 100 meters to catch their breath. But when they made it to the top- it was pretty cool to see how excited they were- because you could tell they wanted to give up at the 1/4 mile marker. So a few scrapes and cuts later - and it was one heck of a view! Not a bad weekend calorie burn wise... 3500 calories burned for the weekend... and I really didn''t do myself any justice with the eats. I ordered healthy foods, but when you burn that many calories, you really need to eat every 2-3 hours. So I had some shrimp tacos... and a veggie pizza one day...nothing too horrible.

One night I did have a couple drinks. A mai tai (probably 700 calories.. ugh) and a shot w/ the boys. i THOUGHT it was a lemondrop... and it ended up being some sort of "chocolate cake" shot. Now I''m not much of a boozer -- I do enjoy a nice cold beer from time to time - but getting wasted or binge drinking isn''t really my cup of tea. Anywho, this shot was GROSS. I am not a fan of chocolate cake... and thinking you were going to have one thing- and be surprised by another, was quite ummm disgusting. But all in all the boys were pretty well behaved, and super excited that I had a shot with them. Which is probably why they ordered a "girlie" shot- but YUK
14.gif
that 100+ calorie shot was soo not worth it... they never are. The boys will be here just one more day- and things are pretty calm- so no real complaints. Anywho, have a wonderful monday!

"When the wine goes in, strange things come out." Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller, The Piccolomini, 1799

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
LORELEI, excellent reminder on the drinks, food and tastes adding up in calories. hehe Yay for new recipes and pulling out the crock pots, thank you!!!

TLH, I bet the hike burned off all those drink cals and more! That hike sounded killer! I went for a hike but nothing like that, woooweee, you are awesome!

ROD, I hope you feel better honey!! Get well dust your way.

MARCY, hi!

I am going to the gym tonight; my allergies are nuts and same w/hubby's so we can no longer workout outside. It will be fun to go back to this class; I will just work out in the very back of the room as I have not done step in awhile! I think I will make Udon noodles w/shrimp and veggies tonight; they are pretty yummy and low cal if anyone wantst to try them out at your local Asian market!
1.gif
HAPPY NEW WEEK!!!
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Week! I am off to Denver in a few minutes for a meeting. I plan on stopping by my favorite jewelry store (they have 2 in Denver and one is minutes from our corporate offices) on the way home.

Lorelei, great opener as always! I will have to try your veggies; they sound good. Good reminder to pay attention to everything you put in your mouth.

Tlh, wow you really put those guys through the ringer but it sounds like they enjoyed the view and accomplishment once they reached the top. COOL! Yay for burning so many calories this weekend. I am sure your extras were more than compensated for through your activities.

Skippy, my fall allergies are kicking up too. My sinuses are so swollen and puffly under my eyes they look like someone punched me. Have fun at the gym.

Rod, I hope you are better today but if not I hoped you stayed home and rested.

Dragonfly, thinking of you and your SO and his family today.

Okay, I am going to hit the road.
See ya!
35.gif

Marcy

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Week, HLTers!

Lorelei~ Those veggies really are good. I roast lots of veggies and they are filling! I mix up proportions and seasonings for an entirely different flavor.

tlh~ WOW! That''s a lot of calorie burning! Sounds like a great hike though!! Ditto on the weird girlie shots. WHY do I want to drink cake??

Skippy~ Have fun at the gym. LOL about "local Asian market" That would be the "foreign foods" aisle at Walmart, they have tortillas and soy sauce, that''s about it!! It really is hard to experiment with new cuisines when you only have one store that doesn''t seem to recognize them.

Marcy~ Have lots of fun at the jewelry shops!

Yesterday I did a crockpot pot roast that was delicious. I''m watching some kids tonight and they all want mac and cheese but I''ll be having left overs. I''m cleaning my grandma''s house today and then I''ll do 30 min of cardio and Jillian''s shred, maybe some ball work later.

On the WAHOO front, I took my measurements yesterday. I''ve lost nearly an inch in my waist, each thigh and each arm and a full inch in my bum! Thank you to all HLTers for your support as I began my stumbling journey.

That''s all for now, have a great day!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey......from "I''m so stopped up, I can''t breath," Rod. I got up at my normal time, realized I felt like crap, set the alarm for 8:15 so I could call in and tell them I wasn''t coming in today. I did some work, and then napped some, for most of the day. I do plan to go to work tomorrow, but they may send me home if I''m still congested. That''s about it from me.

Thanks for opener Lorelei. Yummmm for veggies!

Sounds like you had an action packed, calorie burning weekend tlh! Good for you getting even the smokers on the climb!

I''m sorry allergies are bothering you and the hubby, so enjoy your class at the gym Skippy. Send some more dust my way as I was actually a bit worse today than yesterday.

I did stay home today Marcy! I hope you found something fun at your favorite store!

SS, we had potroast last night too. I use my mom''s recipe, so easy and sooooo good. Yay for losing an inch around your waist!!

OK.....Sniffles guy out............

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Since Lorlei was talking low cal warm soups and veggies. This is a super easy soup to make and nice and filling. The Asian market has a little bag of Udon noodles, about 300 calories a bag and seasoning (I like the mushroom flavor) and I just use a 1/2 bag of Trader Joes Veggie Stirfry and some shrimp. I think that is about 375 calories for dinner and I got lots of veggies in for the day.
9.gif

IMGudon2632.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Went for a walk; not sure what I was thinking but it was nice outside
2.gif
. My allergies are nuts so I think I will walk on the treadmill at the gym but not as fun as outside. Oh well. hehe

ROD, oh no, I hope Charlie made you some soup; sending lots of get well vibes and get lots of sleep!!! hugs.

MARCY, yay have fun in Denver!!! Agh my allergies are bad too; hubby and I both can''t breath out of our noses. I think I need to take zyrtec but it makes me so sleepy
24.gif
I am sorry yours are bad too; hope you feel better!

SOMETHINGSHINY, I am doing the HAPPY dance for you; that is sooooo AWESOME you lost an inch in lots of spots!!! You are doing so fabulous!!! Hip hip horray for you; I bet you feel Great!!! mmmm, your roast sounds yummy!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
skippy- YUMMY That dish made me really hungry! Sorry your allergies are acting up, I hope your indoor workout was awesome!

Marcy- have a safe trip to Denver and have fun jewelry shopping!

Shiny- trust me... you dont!
14.gif
An inch of all your body! That is soo cool, esp the thighs, bum, and midsection!!! Way to go to stick w/ the potroast vs the mac and cheese! WILLPOWER!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Rod- sorry you don''t feel well. I hope the day resting up helps you get back to superman shape!

SDL- YAY FOR SHIFT CHANGE!!!!
36.gif
Whoo hoo to starting running!!! YIPPEE!!!

Everyone, happy tuesday. My neighbor decided to throw a boomboom party at 9pm-2am. Apparantly our bedroom backs up against their living room. So I''ll have to call up the HOA since they''ve been unresponsive to our requests to turn down the volume... I hope they get slapped w/ a big fine... and they''ll stop being so inconsiderate. So my run this morning was not productive. I feel like I''m running while sick- because there is no reason I shouldn''t be getting my sleep. I actually left our bedroom, went to the guest bedroom..the boys caught the red eye - and tried to sleep there, but the walls were shaking in our condo because of the dillweed. Grr... okay enough complainin''. Eats are good. Made a lemon baked chicken last night and served w/ brown rice and squash. I may prepare yams tonight - or just eat some soup and try to go to bed early... it just depends on how big of an arse my neighbor will be......
38.gif

“The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any.” Fred Astaire

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends, I met hubby for lunch since I had to run to Costco! I had roasted chicken and a couple of fries (5 total) and some beans. My sister went back to work today after maternity leave. I talked to her on the phone to see how she was doing. I get to watch my nephews the week after Thanksgiving as her MIL will be out of town; I am excited to take care of the boys!!! I hope I do okay w/the baby; I know my nephew will be a big help to me.
9.gif

I have a million things to get done today so I won't have a chance to workout! Happy Tuesday everyone. Hope all the people feeling under the weather feel better and sending hugs your way!
35.gif

SDL, you should start running!!! You will do awesome!! Yay for a shift change and yay for Mass honey.

TLH, oh man, that is tough about the neighbors; I hope your HOA gives it to them. People can be so rude and inconsiderate! Have a good day! Yay for chicken and yams. I read yams have more vitamin A then carrots, woohoo! They are a great nutrient packed veggie!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
3.gif
I ran all the way to this thread!! [pant pant pant]. I''ve been so busy running around but wanted to check in with my inspirational healthy lifestyle friends.

tlh, your hike sounds awesome. blech on the 700 cal mai tai and icky girly shot. i hope your neighbo(boomboom)ers shut up soon! i used to have neighbors who would play drums and guitar whenever i sat down to study. it was so loud that my entire body could feel it. i can''t believe your neighbors don''t have the decency and common sense to keep it quiet at night. (haha...coming from a night owl who has been known to move furniture at 3 AM. oops!)

skippy, sorry to hear about your allergies! are you still getting allergy shots? how long does this last? it breaks my heart that you can''t do your walks and runs b/c of these allergies. i hope it gets better soon.

marcy, i hope your allergies get better soon too! please report back if the jewelry fairy leaves anything under your pillow while in Denver!!

SS, congrats on losing an inch all over. you''re making me consider taking my measurements so i can track my progress again. problem is, i''m so not diligent about it! i''ll do it once or twice and then get lazy.
8.gif
poo.

rod, i hope you feel better! i did some assisted pullups last night at the gym. i think i''m getting worse hahaha...

SDL, good luck with the running. i hope you enjoy it and keep it up. there are definitely a ton of resources on the internet for getting started. you could even google, "train for a marathon" or "train for a 5K" and you''ll find lots of training schedules. i think it''s good to find a routine that you can stick to. i always try to do too much right from the beginning b/c i''m one of those "i want results YESTERDAY" kind of people. inevitably i overdo it and everything starts hurting and the pain lasts and lasts and then i never run again. so just be careful!! here''s a link to some running guides for newbies: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

as for my update, i gained 5 pounds in the past couple weeks because of my multiple spells of illness (how come i''m the only person who GAINS weight when sick?) and heavy, indulgent meals. but i''ve been increasing the amount of time i walk. hubby went to the gym with me last night and we did cardio and some weights. it''s so fun having him there. he''s new to the gym so i got to play trainer for a day. we''re meeting at the gym again tonight. there''s a zumba class i will try to attend if i get out of work on time. there''s also an urban rebounding class that DH and i might try. haha, the thought of DH in either of those classes just makes me giggle. he''s so uncoordinated.

oh, we watched a documentary called Food, Inc. the other day and i think it really made an impression on us. i''ve already been riding the "pay attention to where your food comes from" bandwagon, but this documentary REALLY hammered it into my head.

DH and i have so much brocolli in our fridge it''s ridiculous. we bought an enormous bag from the market, then his parents bought us some and my parents bought us some (yes, we get FORESTS of brocolli b/c our parents know we love brocolli). i''m gonna have to learn some new recipes b/c the only thing i do with it is roast them in the oven or put them in quiche, or in a stir fry. well...i guess that''s enough options though. i''m going to be eating brocolli forEVER...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It''s Tuesday and since I''m writing at 8 PM, you can tell it means I didn''t go to the gym tonight. I am slightly better today. And, I did go to work, so that was some progress. And I''m breathing just a bit better. As is typical when I get a cold, it bounces between my chest and my nose. It''s been about 4 years since I had a bad cold like this, so I guess I was due. I would usually head to the doctor who would typically prescribe antibiotics. I did some research and read how antibiotics can''t cure sinus infections or bronchitis (both are something I typically get when I get a cold). We were always led to believe that (sorry if this too much) if our nasal discharge/phlegm turned yellow or worse green, it meant we had a bacterial infection. Not true. During the course of a cold, our discharges will actually turn those color''s naturally and taking antibiotics will not make them better any sooner than just letting the virus run it''s course. So, I''m just going to take it easy, get more rest, drink more fluids and let this blasted cold run it''s natural course. OK.....doctor Rod over for the day. I''ll likely take tomorrow off from the gym and go again Thursday night.........

Oh thank you my dear Skippy. And that dish looked absolutely YUMMMY!! I''m glad you enjoyed your walk outside, and hope the allergies didn''t put much of a damper on it.

Hey Michelle! I''m glad you''ll be returning to a more normal schedule soon. Running is a great thing! I know you liked the shoes you mentioned, but please take the time and go to a running store for the first pair of shoes. They''ll really measure your feet and help you determine if you pronate or supinate to determine exactly what the best shoes for your stance and running style is. After they measure you, they should watch you run outside to make sure they really are the right shoe. It made all the difference when I got my running shoes.

thanks tlh. Sorry about the boomboom party. People can be so inconsiderate and partying that late and loud when you know walls are shared is just plain wrong. I hope you''re just tired, and not getting sick, so please take care.

CJ, when I first started doing chinups and dips, I started with assisted ones and like yourself, thought I was getting worse not better. It took a long long time before I was able to graduate to unassisted ones and then it took months to increase the reps. Keep at it and I guarantee you''ll get better. Honest! And I doubt you''re by yourself for gaining weight when your were sick. When we don''t feel well, we often turn to comfort foods that aren''t necessarily the best foods we could eat.

OK.....sniffling, coughy but somewhat better Rod out...........

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hello hellooooo my HLT friends!!!

I''m back from the wedding & South Africa. I gained back ALL the weight I lost from my training sessions, so I''m going to try to really kick it into high gear to get the working out back on track. Tomorrow we do Bikram. :)

Rod, I hope your cold gets better. I caught a cold on my honeymoon, and I still have a lingering cough from it.

Skip, that dinner looked YUMMY! I''ll ahve to keep that in mind when I''m too lazy to cook something.

SDL, LOVE the hair!!! Hooray for the shift change.

TLH, your hike sounded KILLER!!! Good for you girlie!!!

I haven''t gotten any pics yet, but I''m attachng a shot from my friends Kodak Gallery. I''m hoping everyone will load their stuff on the Flickr I had set up...

LMLJCT20091024.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. Glad to see some of the old regulars back posting.

I did see lots of pretties at the jewelry store; fell in love with many of the 1.25 to 2.50 EC diamonds but quickly walked away before hurting my pocket book.

Sorry to not post to one and all but I am off to bed.

The drive home from Denver yesterday was awful. I was caught in traffic for the Broncos game and a 90 minute drive was about an hour longer. Ugh. The demo went awful; a programming engineer made our editor tool a lot more difficult than it has to be so I made him mad with my many "that''s not exactly the way we do it" comments. My luncheon date was "forgotten" so even though we still went to lunch that was awkward. Tonight we had supper with one of Marty''s vendors so we got home late. I brought home 1/2 of my steak and baked potato for supper tomorrow night. Marty is sound asleep already so I hope he sleeps well tonight. Good news is he doesn''t have to go back to Hong Kong. Yippee!!!

Tomorrow night is school so I hope to catch up then.
Take care.
Lisa your wedding photo is great; you are a beautiful bride.

Marcy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lliang, you look BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Morning!!!! I am making chicken broccoli and rice for dinner tonight; one of my favorite meals! hehe
My sister and I started planning the thanksgiving meal. Oh and yesterday I found out our neighbor is moving; I am pretty bummed because we like them, oh well.
8.gif

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!
1.gif
35.gif

LISA, your wedding picture is so BEAUTIFUL!!! YOU are so GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
I love your dress and you are Tiny!!!! You look fabulous; such a good looking couple!! Many congrats!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Oh my gosh tell us about South Africa, please post pics, how cool!!!!!

CROWN, wooohooo for running!!! I have been getting allergy shots for 15 years, thanks for thinking of me; you are always so sweet. I just need winter to come (they are gone in the winter and summer). hehe I have a step so I am going to pull that out today and do step indoors. You will lose w/all your wonderful running, yay!!! You are fabulous!!! Oh my gosh, I am with you on paying attention to where food comes from, etc. It is interesting in Europe they are stict and we are so laid back! Lol to your broccoli forest; you could send some over for me tonight!
9.gif
3.gif

SDL, cleaning out a garage is good exercise!
1.gif
Plus it will feel so good to have it done, woohoo!

ROD, oh no, I am so sorry you have a bad cold. Do you have a humidifier? that helps a little and the neti sinus rinse; hope you feel better soon honey.
take care.

MARCY, I hear you on not buying jewelry; I need money to buy presents for others right now. hehe agh for a Bronocos traffic. yay about Marty!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
skippy- exciting about you watching the boys! I hope your sister is not too bummed about returning to work... (my SIL was actually THRILLED) The yams were DELISH! Sorry your neighbor is moving, it stinks to lose a good one!

SDL- I''m glad you''ve switched the shift. Funny about how you like to stay up late. (I''m asleep by 8:30! hahah!) I think the run/walk building up plan is excellent... kind of like the couch to 5k plan.. it is excellent.. and something you can keep up like uhhh jeff gallway I think... I''ve found that adding little bursts of walking in from the getgo- actually helps me hold my stamina for longer in my really long runs... even when I don''t feel like I need it. You''ll have to let me know about the shoes! I''ve got Nike frees that I use for my shorter runs, and they''ve really helped to force me hold the propper form... and helped to strengthen my PF issues!

CJ- yeah, it stinks. I''m hoping to get some relief... I don''t like sleepin in the guest room! Zumba is one of those classes that I''ve always wanted to try! But my hubs and I quit our gym - so I never had the opp. It does look like a good time, and I''m a firm believer in if you enjoy something- you''ll stick with it. Don''t worry about the 5 pounds- it is better to nurse your sickness w/ propper nutrition, than to not get better at all! enjoy the green eats!

Rod- interesting about the snot info... because yes... that is what I''d always followed green=old, yellow (possibly)=infection, and clear=all good. Glad you''re letting everything clear out!!! I hate it when I''m all snotty! I''m doing well, thanks for thinking of me... just sleepy... and annoyed! haha

LISA- YOU''RE BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I need to head over to BWW to check out the rest of your photos (if posted). I hope you had a lovely trip in South Africa and a wonderful wedding!

marcy- glad you had a fun (eyecandy) shopping trup in CO! YAY for marty staying w/ you and that you were able to make 2 meals out of dinner.

Everyone Happy Weds. I''m still sleepy, as I had yet another night in the guest bedroom. It is almost like I don''t like my husband... not really. I just couldn''t sleep when my neighbor decided to kick on the wall shaking music at 11pm and keep it up until sometime after 2... which is when my husband woke up and noticed I was not in bed with him. But because I moved rooms and closed the door, turned 2 fans on high blast, I was able to drown out a lot of the low bass of his subwoofer (i''m guessing since our walls litterally shake). I walked over yesterday evening and knocked on his door but he wasn''t home. I''m guessing when he comes home is when he turns on his party tunes. So I''ve still been unable to contact him other than through the HOA. GRR. We just work different schedules... and unfortunately what was once an issue only every 3rd Friday night- well, it is becoming a nightly problem. I know he knows the volume is loud because there are 2 levels of noise. The lower level, I cannot hear in the other rooms when the door is closed... the loudest volume... well is another story. But, I did get up and run... and since I slept in the guest room basically all night w/o TRYING to sleep though it in my own bed.. well I got a decent nights sleep. (NOT A REAL SOLUTION.)

Then I went for a run- and forced myself to take it easy by bringing the 18# dog with me. I went out for a really short 3 miler, and was able to stretch and relax and have my coffee with my husband before venturing off to work. I''m just keeping the miles low in preparation of my 10 mile race this weekend. Unfortunately no sleep last weekend, paired with not terrific sleep so far every night this week - doesn''t really get me the rest I need to PR. So I''ll just go out, and have a nice trot. Eats are doing well. I''m making a ground turkey pasta with fresh mushrooms, some leftover squash, and asparagus.

A chip on the shoulder is about the heaviest load a person ever carries - Roy L. Smith

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Zumba was fun! For some reason, I'm not as embarrassed as I should be. Ha. I was the only person in last night's class that was completely new to Zumba and also the only person with lack of coordination. I just can't dance. There's a lot of hips and booty shakin', which I somehow turn into looking like a convulsing short-circuited robot. But it was such an awesome workout - in 40 min I burned almost 500 calories and got my heart rate waaaaaay up. It was awesome. I'll definitely go back. DH showed up at the gym after I finished the class, so we got on the treadmills and I walked some hills while he ran. We were both watching Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report while working out and DH was so silly - he kept cracking up and waving his arms in the air. Of course all around us, people are working out seriously and wondering what's wrong with the guy on the treadmill?? It was funny.

Tonight is a spin class, and it'll be DH's first time in a spin class. I hope he likes it. Last night we got home and DH made beer can chicken. Have you guys done that before? The beer doesn't affect the flavor of the chicken, but it helps keep the whole chicken moist while in the oven. And it allows alot of the fat to drip off into the pan. We had it with some broccoli (of course) and noodles.

Rod, thanks for the encouragement on the pullups. I really want to be able to do one. I'd be so happy with just one. It's going to take me a looooooong time to get there. but thanks goodness for the assisted pullups machine. What would I do without all this fancy gym equipment???!!! I hope you continue on your road to recovery from your bug, Rod.

Lliang, congratulations! I wholeheartedly wish you the very best in your first year of marriage! You looked like a beautiful bride. I can't wait to hear about your honeymoon! Def post pictures.

SDL, cleaning and organizing is one of my favorite non-gym workouts. Your garage sounds like a daunting task, but you can do it!!! You'll feel so great after getting it organized! BTW, I love your latest avatar. You look gorgeous! It's my favorite SDL look so far.

Marcy, sorry you had a hard time with the engineer. Oh, there's a great list of engineer jokes that I MUST post. It's hilarious. Glad Marty's back home!

tlh, you are my hero for getting up and running even with lack of sleep. I know it's totally childish to bang on the wall when your neighbors make too much noise, but have you tried that? Haha. I wish I were kidding, but yes, I'm actually suggesting that you try that.
41.gif

Skippy, good luck with your step workout. That's one class I miss from the gym. Why isn't it popular in gyms anymore? It used to be everywhere, all the time. Stepping is another great aerobic workout.

Anyway, so I'm really loving my heart rate monitor. I love reviewing all the calories I burn. I need to shape up for winter sports. Hopefully we'll get to do a ski/snowboarding trip with a bunch of friends this winter. Group trips are so much fun. We all chip in to rent a house and then cook for each other after a day on the slopes.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the good thoughts on my inches!!

I did 30 min cardio and Shred today. It was all I could do to get through that hour. Nearly everyone close to me is going through a rough patch right now (divorce, break-up, selling a beloved horse, child custody, unemployment, and illness) and I''m the one they all call to talk to. I''ve always been that person, the one they call when they don''t know who they can talk to. I''ve always taken pride in that quality of myself. However, I''m just realizing that it takes a lot out of me physically as well as emotionally. The emotional toll tries to creep in my eating and the physical toll makes it a struggle to get through a workout. I can''t let all these people down (obviously they really need support as these aren''t flippant problems) and not be there for them but I''m not sure how to find the balance for what''s good for me too. Okay, rant over. Thanks for listening.

Fettucine alfredo tonight and then I''m taking JT swimming for a while. Probably won''t be much actual swimming since he really doesn''t like to let go of me, but it will be fun to just relax and play with him. He wants to go for a hike first (I love that he''s loving hiking so much!), but I don''t think we''ll have time before it gets too cold. Maybe tomorrow.

Quick question: Is there an actual device that you can wear or something that estimates calorie burn?? I''ve just been going with Spark''s estimates, but I was hoping to have something that may be more accurate.

Another question: What are some good shoulder exercises for flexibility?? Stretching forward I have a great range of motion, but going back they get really tight.

SDL~ Yay for a great shift!! DH gets home around 3am and it''s tough.

CJ~ LOL to the broccoli. It reminds me of Where the Wild Things Are. I''m picturing "that very night in CJ''s fridge, a forest grew and grew and grew!" I''m just starting to eat broccoli myself so I am pretty much stuck on stir-fry. Yay for you doing zumba!!

Rod~ Interesting post about the cold infections. Everytime I get bronchitis the dr wants to put me on antibiotics immediately.

lliang~ You look SOO beautiful and happy!! Congratulations again!

Marcy~ Sorry about the rotten drive. Hope you''re well rested now!

Skip~ Sorry you''re losing good neighbors. Fingers crossed that you''ll like your new ones!

tlh~ I hear you about the music! My neighbors have been blasting movies and music every weekend until 4 am!!
29.gif
I agree with CJ''s wall pounding suggestion!!

That''s all for now, have a great day!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......sorry for the quick flyby.......I slept well last night. I got up and wasn't as congested, but then I don't know what happened, but by the time i was dressed for work, I was completely stopped up and coughing. I actually felt worse today than I have since I caught my cold. Tonight though, I'm feeling a little bit better. I'm going to go to bed early again as I'm trying my best to get at least 8 hours sleep each night.

Before signing off, I do have to say welcome back to Lisa and O M G.......You are the most stunningly beautiful bride!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry you caught a cold on your honeymoon.

I'm hoping to go to the gym tomorrow night, but will only go if I'm not still stopped up and coughing.......

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi.Is it Friday yet?

We had fun in lab tonight; we did the “invent an alien life form” lab.You use a dice and keep track of your answers then build a creature.I have the students draw their creature, name it and then tell us about it.I think most of them enjoyed it tonight.

Somethingshiny, congratulations for losing so many inches.

36.gif
How exciting!Your roast sounds good.

Rod, I hate to hear you are still feeling bad.I am glad you stayed home and rested a few days.Glad you were able to make it through the day at work though.

Skippy, you would think with 2 snow storms here pollen would be down but our grass is actually still green.I am sorry you had to walk on the treadmill instead of outside.Allergy meds make me either crazy or sleepy.I hope you and your husband get to breathe through your nose soon.LOL.How fun you get to babysit the boys after Thanksgiving.

9.gif
I also tell my relatives and friends I can only babysit if the kids can tell me what they want. Yes, it tis the season to buy things for other people instead of ourselves.Of course I do get easily distracted by sparkly things.

Michelle, I am glad you got your favorite shift in January.That will make your schedule much easier to do things with your family.Have fun cleaning out the garage.That will burn calories.

Tlh, grr to noisy neighbors.I hope you or someone catches up with them and gets them to be more courteous about noise.I hope you get some sleep.

CrownJewel, yay for going to the gym and for your husband going with you.It sounds like you are having fun at the gym too.Please post the engineers jokes, I can use them on Marty too.

Lisa, I will be anxious to see more pictures of your wedding.

Laters.

35.gif

Marcy

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t pay attention to my caloric intake yesterday. When I entered all the info today to catch up, I realized I only had 975 cals. That would explain the headache I think....

JT ended up in the ER last night. While playing in the baby pool he fell and hit his mouth on the side of the pool. He cut his lip pretty badly but they didn''t put stitches in it. They said stitches inside the mouth don''t do well with little ones. Apparently the kids usually mess with the stitches so much it causes further injury. I had to keep the meaty flap pushed up for a while but this morning it looks much better, a bit like hamburger. Poor little guy. I was surprised that the life guard didn''t even offer any help. I mean JT was screaming and blood was pouring everywhere, shouldn''t she have tried to help??

No workout today.

Rod~ Hope you''re feeling better today!

Marcy~ Your alien game sounds fun!!

That''s all for now, have a great day!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Friends!!!!

Ugh, yesterday was so weird. I never or hardly ever eat gummy bears or those sorts of things; I tend to eat fruit like an apple and banana a day. Well it was about 6:30pm and after dinner and I was craving gummies like crazy. lol Of course we have none in the house and I did things to distract myself but I thought about gummies for 2 hrs.
23.gif
Finally when it was bed time I knew it would be crazy to drive to Walgreen's so I was happy to go to bed!!! haha I hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon! Oh I bought raspberries too so I think I will eat those tonight; in case the attack of the gummies comes back!
2.gif
3.gif

I made some chicken and the veggie stirfry (w/Pam) last night and that is what we had but I still have that chicken from WF. So tonight I will make the chicken and broccoli but hubby is gone so I am making dinner for me and leftovers will be on Friday. Hubby like to go play pool w/these nice guys once a month so I am excited to have the house to myself this evening!
9.gif

Happy Thursday; it looks like we might get a storm or something this way as it is kind of cloudy.
35.gif

TLH, ugh, how frustrating.
14.gif
I would wrap some ear phones around his front door in hopes he gets the hint; that is so rude, I am sorry! I need my sleep so I feel for you. I hope he cuts it out. Yay for your run. Sending stop playing music vibes your way to your neighbor.

CJ, yay for zumba; Tacori loves zumba too! Sounds like fun; you and your hubby are awesome working out together!!!
9.gif
Did he like spin class? mmmm I love beer butt chicken, super yummy!!! We have done that before out on the grill!
3.gif
I think there are die hard stepers still out there so I know there are a few classes but more interval classes I have seen lately.

SS, I am sorry. On of my friends is a psychologist and she said when people need you that you are like an outlet; they plug into you and zap your energy. She kind of told me what she does when people do that to her and it was not so much listening but providing a suggestion or asking them what they were planning on doing about something and then let them be. It is like throwing the ball back in their court but yet being supportive too. I have not done it but it sounds like a good idea. I am kind of like you; I tend to internalize peoples problems and they tend to bother me so I don't sleep. i want to be a good friend but now as I get older I know I can't solve all problems and try not to talk ad nauseam with them about their problems because then they feel like they can go on and on and it seems like you don't mind but it is hard on you. So I understand where you are coming from. I want to listen to my friends but honestly you got to take care of you too or you get burnt out, so I guess I hope you find your happy middle for that. sorry for the novel. Oh NO, poor JT, prayers he is better soon. That would upset me too about the lifeguard. hugs to you both.

ROD, you poor sweetie; hope you feel better soon and get lots of soup and fluids. huge hugs, I feel for you sugar. sending healing vibes your way.

MARCY, hehe that labe does sound fun!!! Glad the students had fun and were learning! I love shopping for others during the holidays. i think you said you did this too but I love buying presents for a less fortunate family from the tree at the mall, that is my favorite!!!
1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We''re back at home now. Today has felt very surreal. I''m thinking of making something in the crockpot tonight to take for lunch tomorrow.... I haven''t decided what. Probably rice with vegetables.... or chili? Dunno. I feel like I''ve gained 8 lbs but it is mostly water weight. I seem to be retaining... I''m assuming from stress. I''m exhausted. I''m going to work out tonight even if it''s just a brisk walk through the neighborhood, or stairs. Memorial is next Saturday. Sooooo tired.

Skippy - did you post that recipe anywhere? I have 2lbs of shrimp I need to use up!!!!

To everyone else - big waves!!!!
35.gif
35.gif
miss you guys, I''ll respond individually tonight or tomorrow promise!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
marcy, here are the engineer jokes for you:

Comprehending Engineers - Take One
Two engineering students were walking across campus when
one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer
replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when
a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground,
took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." "The second
engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn''t
have fit."
> > > *****************************
Comprehending Engineers - Take Two
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to
be.
> > > *******************************
Comprehending Engineers-Take Three
A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a
particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What''s with these
guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!" The doctor xhimed in,
"I don''t know, but I''ve never seen such ineptitude! "The pastor said, "Hey,
here comes the greenskeeper. Let''s have a word with him." [dramatic pause]
"Hi George. Say, what''s with that group ahead of us? They''re rather slow,
aren''t they?" The greenskeeper replied, "Oh, yes, that''s a group of blind
firefighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last
year, so we always let them play for free anytime." The group was silent
for a moment. The pastor said, "That''s so sad. I think I will say a
special prayer for them tonight." The doctor said, "Good idea. And I''m
going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there''s anything he
can do for them." The engineer said, "Why can''t these guys play at
night?"
> > > *******************************
> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Four
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things
mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he
happily retired. Several years later the company contacted him regarding
a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their
multimillion dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone
else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they
called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems
in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day
studying the huge machine. At the end of the day, he marked a small "x"
in chalk on a particular component of the machine and stated, "This is
where your problem is". The part was replaced and the machine worked
perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer
for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The
engineer responded briefly:
> > > One chalk mark $1
> > > Knowing where to put it $49,999
It was paid in full and the engineer retired again in peace.
> > *****************************
> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Five
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil
Engineers?
> > >
Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.
> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Six
The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Seven
Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the
possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a
mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints." Another said, "No,
it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of
electrical connections." The last said, "Actually it was a civil
engineer.
Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"
> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Eight
"Normal people ... believe that if it ain''t broke, don''t fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain''t broke, it doesn''t have enough
features yet."
> > > --- Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
> > > Comprehending Engineers-Take Nine
An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it
was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress. The architect
said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an
enduring relationship. The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress,
because of the passion and mystery he found there. The engineer said, "I
like both." "Both?" Engineer: "Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress,
they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you
can
go to the lab and get some work done."
> > > **************************************
> > > Comprehending Engineers - Take Ten
An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and
said, "If you kiss me, I''ll turn into a beautiful princess".
He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke
up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful
princess, I will stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog
out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog
then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I''ll
stay with you and do ANYTHING you want." Again the engineer took the frog
out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked,
"What is the matter? I''ve told you I''m a beautiful princess, that I''ll
stay with you for a week and do anything you want. Why won''t you kiss me?"
The engineer said, "Look I''m an engineer. I don''t have time for a
girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that''s cool.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
so towards the end of the day yesterday, a stomach bug got hold of me. i think it actually got me a few days ago and then hung out for a couple days, and decided to have another party last night. yuck. i never made it to the gym, but DH went and I''m so proud of him. he was too late for the spin class but he said he hopped on a bike and watched colbert report.

i had my evaluation at work today and that went well. i didn''t tell them that i''m looking to move on. but i didn''t tell them because i don''t know yet what i want to move on to.
7.gif

today is hubby''s birthday. i feel badly for not feeling more energetic on his birthday. we don''t have any plans but his brother is in town so they''ll probably want to go out. i think i can manage that, as long as i don''t eat or drink anything. maybe the stomach bug is mad at me for eating so much junk in the past few weeks and now it''s telling my GI tract to punish me.

i hope everyone had a good day!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Back from a long walk; 50 mins. It is cold out! I saw these cute elderly ladies that walk in the neighborhood so when I saw them out I thought I better go for a walk, burrr. hehe

DRAGON, I just follow the instructions on the Japanese style Udon Noodle pack and just add stirfry veggies (like snap peas, and carrots) then throw in shrimp. It is super easy; hopefully you have an Asian market that sells them or else I don't know how to make them just w/Udon noodles. I guess you could use a broth for the flavor if you find just plain Udon noodles? Thanks! sending you a hug

CROWNJEWEL, awww, you poor sweetie!!! Stomach bugs are the Worst;
7.gif
I hope you feel better soon
emhug.gif
and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mr. CrownJewel!!
emcake.gif
heehe fun jokes re:engineers!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.......It''s nearly 9 PM and no, I didn''t go to the gym tonight. I was actually marginally better today, but I''m still coughing and I decided I still need to rest before I go back to the gym. For one thing, I push really hard at the gym and I don''t seem to be able to tone it down, so I don''t want to make myself exhausted. And, I really don''t want to start coughing at the gym and infect anyone else. So, I probably won''t be able to go until Sunday. I''d better be well enough by then. Tomorrow''s Friday.......YAYAYAY.

Thanks Marcy.......Lab sounded like fun! Are you watching V? I saw it Tuesday for the first time and thought it was pretty cool......It''s almost Friday!

SS, thanks for the feel better wishes.......975 calories is a bit low. I''m so sorry about JT''s ER visit and I hope he heals quickly. I think the lifeguard should have offered assistance too.......

Gummy Bear cravings, eh Skippy?? It was probably good you didn''t have a bag of them just lying around. Thanks for thinking of me my friend.

Welcome back dragon!!

The engineer jokes are funny CJ!! Sorry for the unwelcome guest in your stomach. Feel better soon. Happy Birthday to Hubby!

OK.....that''ll do it for me for the day. Have a good Friday everyone.........

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Happy almost the weekend!I work my pink NB running shoes today.It is really only the second time I have worn them.I swear they are brighter than brand new white shoes.Oh well they are pink and have the race for the cure symbol on the side.

Marty had to work late so I went and bought tacos for supper and took them back while he was on a conference call.His second call was cancelled so we went home after his first call was finished.

I went to work about 45 minutes early which was a good thing since I was busy doing updates until 10 minutes before I went home.We are SOOOOO busy it is crazy.

Somethingshiny, I sure feel bad when I don’t eat enough.Of course I feel worse when I eat too much.

11.gif
I hate to hear JT got hurt; yes the lifeguard should have at least offered to help.Sorry to hear you have so many people seeking you out with problems.It’s nice to be a good friend and listen but you definitely have to take care of you and your family first.It is a hard thing to balance.

Skippy, that is strange to hear about gummy bears.I rarely eat them and I got a craving for them this summer.I have no idea what would be in them that we would crave.Did you get a storm there today?We have snow coming again tomorrow but not in massive quantity like last month.We are doing something again for the community again at work this year.They sent out an email to vote on doing angel tree, needs or toys for tots.I didn’t really care because I will donate for whatever they chose.I already picked up 2 Barbies on sale and will buy some clothes from my sister to go with them.I like to get coats for presents too.I used to pick up things for someone off the tree at a local store too. It is fun.

Dragonfly, I am sure you are both exhausted.Glad you are getting back in to your routine.

CrownJewel, thanks for the great jokes.I will print them out for Marty.He’ll probably just say “Yeah?”My favorite one is the talking frog.I hope you feel better.Happy Birthday to Mr. CrownJewel.

Rod, I am glad you are better today but I hate the lingering coughing after a cold.Hopefully you can get back to the gym this weekend and work out those last few evil germs.We have been drinking some OJ with breakfast.I think this time of year is a good time to have some vitamin C.I keep forgetting to watch V but will try to catch it soon.I am very excited Friday is finally here.

Take care.

35.gif

Marcy

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

tlh

Ideal_Rock
CJ- Zumba sounds like fun... and laughter burns even more calories! No, I haven''t banged on the wall. My husband says I''m not allowed to... (I throw temper tantrums when I don''t get my way...) THOSE JOKES ARE HILARIOUS!!!

shiny- I TOTALLY get what you are saying about the emotional burden of others... I carry it. It is hard, because I like being there for them too - but their beasts, are my burden... HUGS you aren''t alone! WOW 4 am! That would make me
29.gif
TOO!

ROD- Glad the extra sleep is working, even if you are a bit congested..

marcy - your lab sounds fun!

skippy- I LOVE GUMMY BEARS... all things licorice like (not black though.. YUK!) So I get it.. and they do not satiate me at all.. I feel zero relief from hunger pains... so I just remind myself that not only will I be eatting the 200 calorie candy, but another 200 calorie something else because I''ll still be hungry... and while 200 calories isn''t bad... 400 is...

DF- welcome back. I''m sorry if you may be up- but travel does make you hold onto water weight... and so does stress. I''m glad that you were able to be there for your SO.

Everyone Happy FRIDAY... THANK GOODNESS. Well my neighbor started the music last night at 7pm, and turned it off a little before 9. I''m hoping this is a pattern. YAY! My hubs and I had a nice night and some good eats. Since I may have a half marathon Saturday and a 10 mile race on Sunday, I''ve been eating my pre-race meals. (My favorite is Chicken Noodle soup, w/ a roll or bread bowl depending on the race length.) I''m pretty excited about the weekend, and right now I''m just trying to decide which race I want to do in December. I''m a little nervous because my hubs seems to have an ITBand issue spring up, and he''s not getting the required miles in for the marathon training. In fact we were supposed to run the 1/2 tomorrow together, but he doesn''t know if he can do it now.. and if he doesn''t want to (or isn''t healthy enough TO RUN IT) - I''ll probably not do it either (because it is over an hour away - and would suck to get up that early by my lonesome...) I know I can run it by myself- the issue is, my hubs is a stubborn fool sometimes, and may not tell me that he can''t-shouldn''t do it - and may injure himself even worse, and would be knocked out from the rest of the season. So that makes the saturday race a little up in the air... Sunday is an all women''s race so he can''t do that anyway... he doesn''t have the right equipment. I''m pretty stoked too because it raises money for childhood cancers. Plus it will be really nice to particpate in an all women''s running event! HAVE A GR8 weekend, I know I will!!!

Big occasions and races which have been eagerly anticipated almost to the point of dread, are where great deeds can be accomplished. -Jack Lovelock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results