shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier Lifestyle Thread 19th Jan till 25th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday kids!

Did a gentle hour on the dreadmill this morning. Knee feels pretty OK so I''m not chancing it!

Lots to do before I go tomorrow but I''ll try to check in again later.

Hello everyone!
35.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I haven''t forgotten about you all! Hope everyone is doing well! I''ll try to reply to everyone later.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hello HLTers!

YAHOO for Wednesday/hump day. I hope the rest of the week flies by...

I''m back at bootcamp and it''s good to be on that routine again! Yeah, it sucks getting up at 5:20a but it''s a great feeling to workout in the morning and have my whole day ahead of me.

I weighed myself yesterday (first time in 10 days), and those stubborn 2 holiday pounds are still on me- bleh! I hope they''re gone by Monday when I weigh-in next.

I''m back on track with my eating- i brought my stash of food to work so i''m all covered on lunches and snacks for this workweek. I had my usual oatmeal for brekkie, and it''s almost time for my mid-morning apple.

Lorelei- great opener as usual! I too like to work towards small goals and rewards. If I lose these pesky 2 lbs by Monday''s weigh-in then i''m going to treat myself to a nice bouquet of flowers.

lliang- too funny about your dog. he''s very well-fed!
Merry- that sucks about your scale. Give it a good kick!
DeeJay- have a blast in Aspen. i LOVE hearing about your travels
Panda- I also try to do well when eating out. it''s hard because you just really don''t know what''s in your food
Marcy- WOO HOO on losing 4 lbs. Please sprinkle some of that "loss dust" on me!
Rod- Good luck with the influx of Steelers fans. I''m kinda ticked at them since they picked off my Chargers week before last
ILE- i know what you mean about a good sore
Jetta- Loose jeans are the BEST!
Steph- stay warm!

Hiya- Apple, Sharon & Kimberly!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone!

Not much going on here. I had lots of energy yesterday. I did a 30min aerobics pre-programmed module on the TM and then another 30min weightloss module. Whew! I was sweating. It felt really good like I accomplished something. I will be doing the same today then I will be going for a walk to the store to pick up some light groceries.

I am still eating well. My gf lent me some of her 2008 WW literature for me to look at. I was thinking of joining the WW online. We will see. I read a lot of success stories which gets me motivated to possibly join. What are your thoughts about their new momentum program?

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Well I ended doing the elliptical for 30 min during lunch. I have a wine making/tasting event tonight for my sorority alum club and a few of us are getting together for a quick dinner before hand so I can''t exercise afterwork. However tomorrow I will work out at lunch hardcore with coworkers #1 & #2.

Also the new Southern Living actually had some healthier recipes this month so I am looking forward to trying some next week.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Hump Day!

Had to work late last night so I didn''t get a chance to go to the gym
15.gif
However, I made a grilled chicken salad with non-fat dressing for dinner and did some sit ups on my swiss ball. I''m loving this new non-stick grill pan I got because I don''t have to use any oil. I''ll probably have to work again tonight but I''m gonna try my hardest to carve out an hour for the gym.

Steph, YAY for baggy jeans and 5am workouts! Brrrr... stay warm over there!

ILE, I''m glad you made peace with your scale issue. Your chicken parm sounds tasty! My weight bet... FI, his best bud and I all have a few pounds we want to shed. So we''re doing our version of The Biggest Loser: weigh in every Sat., week one, lose 2% and week 2 through 4, lose 1% a week. $20 a week, paid to the others if they hit the goal and you don''t. You keep your $$ if you do. If no one hits their goal, the $$ goes into a pot and it goes to the person who loses the most at the end. We''re starting with one month. I''m totally psyched, as I gotta beat the boys
3.gif

DeeJay, LOL! I wish I had your Loft problem right now. PXS at JCrew is pretty darn small so you can try that. Banana Republic also has tiny sizes, to 00P, I think.

Rod, YAY for a great workout! Sorry it was so crowded.

Marcy, YAY for one pound gone! Hope Marty feels better soon and that his cold stays away from you.

SJG04, YAY for loose jeans. I''m glad you''re doing well. Hope you''re having fun wedding planning!

Hi Gecko!

Charger, YAY for bootcamp! The 5 am workout crowd is growing. I''m so impressed! I''m sure your holiday pounds will melt away soon!

Cdn, you sound like you''re doing great!

Apple, have fun at your wine making/tasting event! Ooh, would love to hear what kind of healthy recipes you try!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m baaaack! Hi all!! I''ve missed everyone! My computer crashed a couple (or a few?) weeks ago, so I haven''t been able to log in here or check e-mail for a while now. There''s so much to catch up on now that I can finally get online once again after being gone for so long.

Sorry for the self-centered message below. I haven''t had time to read through the posts, and I''m not sure I''ll be able to until tomorrow. I just wanted to get this out though:

I have to admit that I gell off the wagon big time. As some of you know, I track my food using a database similar to what Sparkpeople has. Well, since the database is on my computer, I wasn''t able to use it for the longest time. I was so lost without it, and I ended up using that as an excuse to bend the rules more than I should. Way more. Forget about losing weight...right now, I''m just trying not to gain. I''m so afraid that I lost all of my momentum.
38.gif

I hope everyone is doing well. I''ve been thinking about you guys...

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Happy Wednesday Everyone,

Not much to report on my end today. I was SUPER SUPER sore this morning (almost to the point of walking funny). I did a new circuit the other day...and clearly it WORKS!! So in short I skipped the 5am treadmilll session, but I''m heading to spinning and a weight circuit tomorrow @ the gym since I don''t have to tutor. Don''t know what''s up with my appetitie but I''ve been crazy hungry! I think the weight training in addition to my cardio is upping my metabolism. I''ve had to work to not snack too much!!

Gecko- good to see you on here!!

ZoeB- Hi!! So sorry to hear that you feel like you''ve fell off the wagon....we''ll help you get back on there! YOU CAN DO IT!! :) I''d start back up with the food tracking....every little bit helps

DeeJay- can''t say I''ve ever had the XXS size issue, however, Banana Republic has smaller sizes, JCrew, and Anthropologie. (I shop there for my sis who is 00) If only for me!! God blessed me with the bootie she does not have :)

ChargerGirl- Yea for bootcamp- it sounds fun! I''m sure those 2lbs will be gone soon.

Marcy- so sorry that Marty is still feeling bad. Zicam rocks!! Try airborne too.

CdnBlingGirl- as for online WW - I joined last year and found I couldn''t keep up with the tracking online. I prefer the paper pencil method. But I know for some it really works. Do they have a trial period??

Panda- WOW!! I love love that bet!! I hope you beat the heck out of those boys! Sounds like a fun way to lose weight.

Apple- yea for wine tasting...sounds fun. Are you a red or white girl??

Rod- thanks for the comments. Sounds like you had another long day. Good for you for still going to the gym. I guess we''re just opposites. I found that unless I get my butt out of bed in the morning...even if it is 5am then the workout won''t usually happen. It upped my workouts to 5+ a week...so I''m all for that. Sorry the gym was crowded..I hate that. Hope it goes back to normal soon.

HI HI to everyone else that I might have accidentally missed :)

Thats it for me...off to work on some new lessons for the kiddies and help FI with dinner. Also I MUST MUST find a reception site. I''m such a slacker on that.....a party planner I am not that is for sure.

:)ILE

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi and happy Wednesday. Worked, hit the gym, came home. We''re having tortilla soup for dinner.

Dee, I have no great clothing store suggestions for you other than those already mentioned.

Zoe, sorry about the computer crash, don''t worry about the wagon slip, just hitch up and hop back on. No biggie.

Charger, I can''t lose the weight I gained during the holidays either. It''s rather frustrating, but I''m trying to remain calm about it. I have no control over the scale, I only can control what i put in my mouth and how much I move my body.

Rod, I used to love to run, have for years, but it''s so hard on my body, especially my hips and my back. I would love to do another 5K, perhaps that will be my spring goal.

Where''s Skippy?

~K

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi friends, I am doing well, working out and eating healthy. I had my nephew with me, just busy
1.gif
I probably will check in next week. Take care all!
35.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim -- I''m glad you had a relaxing time in AZ. I''ve never been there but I heard it''s beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement!

Steph -- I like the idea of setting small goals. I''m changing my small goal to 2 lbs. Yes, 2. I''ll be over the moon if I can lose that right now. It''s been a loooong while since I''ve lost anything.

Dee Jay -- When I weigh myself, I make sure to put the scale in exactly the same place in the bathroom every time. I''ve memorized the tiles that it needs to go between.
20.gif
. About Aspen, I''m not a skiier but I love the thought of curling up in front of the fire in a ski lodge, reading and watching the action on the slopes from a nice, warm place. Have fun on your trip!

Merry -- I always weigh myself three times and usually take whatever number pops up twice. Today however, it gave me three completely different numbers, so I didn''t write it down. It''s funny how scales work sometimes. I know you''ve mentioned this before but I can''t remember -- what do you teach?

Apple -- I hope you had a fun time at yoga earlier in the week. I may have mentioned this before, but my dad''s getting certified to become a yoga instructor. He LOVES it. Have you thought about becoming an instructor (maybe on a part time basis)?

ILE -- I''m sorry you''re having issues with your scale. Digital scales are funny. How do you get motivated to get up so early and work out? My husband and I are considering swimming at the gym before work begins for me. We''d have to get there around 5:30 or 6:00AM, and the gym is 40 minutes away. I can''t imagine getting my bum out of bed and out the door that early. I love the idea of getting a workout in before work though. What do you teach? I teach second grade. We talked about the inauguration but we didn''t watch it in class. I asked my class to write a letter to the new president, and some of the things they wrote were hilarious! Thanks for the encouragement, by the way!

Lliang -- raw pot roast, huh? Silly dog! About exercing in the winter -- it''s ten times harder for me, too. It''s so hard to be motivated when it''s so cold outside and all you want to do is hang out at home.

Hi Rod! I''m sorry that there''s a lot of pressure on you and your coworkers at work. That can''t be motivating. Just out of curiosity, what are you noticing down in FL? Up here, no one''s hiring or giving interviews. I asked Apple this, but have you have considered working at the gym part time, since you spend so much time there? Knowing how much you spend at the office, that might not be possible, but I thought I''d ask.

Marcy -- I think I missed it, but are you teaching a new astronomyclass this semester? I hope Marty feels better soon!

Hi Panda! I love you (new?) avatar! Your ring is beautiful!

Hey Steph -- I have a question for you. How has the weather been down there? We''re heading down your way (well, Key West) next month for a family vacation, and I''m hoping the weather''s been great in FL.

Hi Skippy -- I''m sure you''ve been having a blast with your nephew. Have a good week!

Charger -- I hope you have a good week at bootcamp.

Hi CdnBling -- I''ve heard that a lot of people have success with WW. I don''t know what the new momentum program is like, but I''m curious to hear if others have an opinion in it.

Hi Gecko -- I hope you''re having a good week.

Hi Sharon -- What would the temperature be in F? Up in CAN, I know it''s COLD! I can''t believe your running outside!

Phew! That took a while, but I wanted to check in with everyone individually. Have a good night!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 8:05:52 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hi friends, I am doing well, working out and eating healthy. I had my nephew with me, just busy
1.gif
I probably will check in next week. Take care all!
35.gif
Ask, and you shall receive.
9.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Zoe! Actually this week, it has been freezing here! It is the coldest it has been in Florida in 5 years, but by next month and down that far, the weather should be fantastic. We lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a year and this was by far our favorite part of the year....no rain, sunny and beautiful most everyday and it was always pretty warm down that far south....I was always in shorts and flip-flops except for a few times the whole year we lived there...so should be beautiful!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey........Another long day at work. You know....blah blah blah. Charlie was off today, so we met at our favorite little diner afte I left owrk. They''re soups are all homemade and change daily. Todays'' was just what the doctor ordered on a really chilly day in Tampa.........Vegetable. It was soooo good and it was slightly spicy and just chock full of fresh veggies. For dinner I indulged and had a bison burger (much lower in fat and cholesterol than beef) and my side was zuchini sticks (I guess I should admit they were a bit on the fried side - LOL) Charlie had the soup and a chicken and shrimp curry dish with rice and veggies that was really good too. TOmorrow will be an ''uber'' Thursday, with a workout at the gym immediately after work.

LOL about the ''girls'' DeeJay!! I have skinny legs. I''ve always had skinny legs. And when I lost all my weight, I had even skinnier legs. Only now I have really well toned skinny legs. There''s not much I''ll ever be able to do about this. If I miss you before you go, I hope you have a wonderful trip to Aspen!!

I''m glad you''ve lost one of the 4 pounds Marcy. I''m sorry Marty is still miserable with his cold and I hope you don''t catch it. I wish we were excited about hosting tthe super bowl, but the extra traffic and congestion is not such a great benefit. We could rent our condo for the week at an unbelievable price, but we wouldn''t let strangers stay in our home, no matter how much they wanted to pay........

Woo Hoo for looserfitting jeans Sweetjet!!

Steph, don''t you think it''s too cold here in Florida?? Still impressed with your 5 am workouts!!

Hey gecko......I hope you''re doing well!

5:20 AM is waaaay too early to get up Charger, no matter what it''s for!! I''m glad you''re back in bootcamp though and that it''s going well!

Sounds like you''re doing great CDN!

Enjoy the wine tasting Apple.

Sorry you had to work late and missed the gym Panda. Your grilled chicken salad sounded yummy!

It''s good to see you Zoe. I''m sorry you feel you fell off the wagon, but I''m sure you can get right back up and you''ll be just fine! The lack of hiring isn''t limited to your neck of the woods, trust me. It''s slow everywhere. Every day, more and more people are being laid off, which is a bit frightening. I sure hope our new President helps open paths for companies to hire people. People who work pay taxes and buy things. That''s truly the solution to the recession right now. We need to put people back to work. Thanks for the suggestion about working P/T at the gym, but my days are too long as it is. I don''t think I could add anything else to my overly long schedule. But thanks for thinking about me. I hope the HH is OK and I know it''s a tough time for him. Say hello to him for me, OK?

Yay for being super super sore ILE!! That means you accomplished something!! I would be in trouble if my gym option was early AM. I''m just not, nor will I ever be a morning person. Fortunately for me, working out at night works well!

Kimberly, I haven''t been able to run in several weeks, but I do enjoy it when I do. I do worry about it taking too much out of my knees and hips. I would like to do a 5K sometime and I know I''d do well as I generally run no less than 5K everytime I run to begin with. I love tortilla soup! You really need to loan John to us sometime!!

Sure, just blow us off Skippy (kidding!). I''m just glad to know you''re OK.

OK.....that''s enough from me. Have a nice day tomorrow. I''ll check in after my workout tomorrow night.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hello folks!!

Last night''s dinner went off without a hitch (read: no doggie swipping). I made shepherd''s pie which James ate as leftovers tonight for dinner along with a Thai curry-ish soup I made. It was pretty healthy I think: coconut milk, Thai red chili paste, lemongrass, ginger, chicken broth, udon noodles, tofu, spinach, red peppers, bamboo shoots and baby corn. Mmmm... It was plenty enough for me after yoga. I had a kinda big bowl (cereal bowl sized)

I missed yoga yesterday because the dog was sick.
7.gif
Oh well, but I went tonight. It was pretty crowded and tough, tough, tough! I think I ate too much food or didn''t drink enough water. Plus my shoulders were/are SUPER tight. I desperately need a massage, it''s starting to affect my yoga!
32.gif
My sister helped me stretch them a bit after class so they actually do feel a lot better, but I still need a massage. Hm, maybe if I go to the 8AM yoga on Saturday I can reward myself with a massage....

Tomorrow my sister and I are going to have dinner at her place. Dunno what we''re going to make but it''ll be something Latin American-y. Mmmmm... sweet plantains :) We''ll also pick up our skis from REI.

Rod, Yikes I hate crowds for big events like that. I think James and I are the only ones that we know that are root for Chicago NOT to get the Olympics. It''s like being in D.C. for inauguration. WAAAAAAY too many people for my taste. I dunno, maybe I just don''t like people. Your soup sounded good, and bison burgers sound intriguing. There''s a restaurant in Chicago that does "fancy" burgers, but it''s kinda far from me. I still want to try it though. Now it''s on my list because of your bison burger :)

ChargerGrrl, Yay for boot camp again. I''ve always been intrigued to do a boot camp thing, but never really bit the bullet to do it. I find it really hard to wake up that early in the AM. You''ll loose those 2lbs soon, I''m sure of it!

CdnBling, I don''t know much about WW in general, but a lot of people do seem to have good results with it. People also get OBSESSED with point numbers though, that''s one thing I noticed.

Apple, How was your sorority alum event? Have a good work out tomorrow.

Panda, Bummer that work''s insane. You salad sounded good though. I need to pump up my swiss ball, my hand pump broke. I used to attach the nozzle to a bike pump but then lost the nozzle. Well, I love those swiss balls they''re so much fun. Great bet! You better beat the pants off the boys!

Zoe!!! Glad you''re back. Don''t feel bad about falling off the wagon, we''re here to pull you back up!!! Now you have your computer again you can start tracking. Keep drinking lots of water, I find sometimes my brain just wants something in my mouth and water stops that "craving".

ILuv, Yay for sore! I love that feeling. Great job on the new circuit training. I keep telling myself I should lift my small handweights on days I don''t yoga, but never do.
7.gif
Maybe I should hold myself responsible to you guys.

Steph, I grew up in Miami! Where in FL do you guys live now? My dad called and said they were getting some cold weather (close to 34F). My parents are farmers so near freezing weather is a big deal for them. Luckily they said they''ll be okay.

Deejay, I''d LOOOVE if my "girls" went down a few sizes. But it''s good to have a problem that XS''s are TOO small :) I hope you have fun in Aspen. XC skiing is a GREAT workout.

Skippy, have fun with your nephew!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
Marty’s 90 year old grandma fell down her stairs today.Poor thing.We spent most of the day in ER with her.She dislocated her left shoulder and broke her elbow on the same side.Her right elbow is all torn up but not broken.She has a big bruise above her eye.She is lucky that is all she broke falling that far.They had to put her out to put her should back in place since her arm was broken too.They brought in a syringe with a little bottle that looked like milk.I commented on that and the nurse said they call it milk of amnesia.
Today was a look at my alternate reality day.Very strange thoughts here but bear with me.6:45 am while I am getting dressed in our spare bedroom because I hadn’t woke Marty up yet I hear sirens going off.I thought that’s too bad someone probably had a heart attack. Why did I think that? My biggest fear when I weighed more than 320 pounds was not waking up or waking up incapacitated from a heart attack or stroke.My heart rate, pulse and high blood pressure were so bad I never went to sleep without the fear that my “ticking time bomb” would finally go off.I always thought how awful that would be for Marty if something happened to me in my sleep.About then it was time to wake Marty up and that was the end of those thoughts.
About an hour later on the way to work we got the call about Marty’s grandmother falling.Falling was my second biggest fear.I thought if I ever fell, I would probably never get up again.Setting there in the ER made me think long and hard about how much damage I would have done to myself falling down when I weighed that much.Since I have bad feet and worse knees I knew if I ever fell I wouldn’t be able to get back up.
Next thing I know they bring in a very large lady who easily could have been a twin to my former self and they put her in the bed next to Grandma.Mind you they only have curtains up so you can hear what people are saying.They start asking that lady questions, she has no idea how much she weighs.She has a history of high blood pressure, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties and she doesn’t have any regular doctor.When they asked her why she doesn't go to any doctors she flat out said I got tired of them telling me to go on a diet.Wow, that was so the old me.Anyway she’s having trouble breathing, her heart rate won’t slow down and she’s dizzy.They go to take her for tests and she doesn’t fit in the wheelchair.They can’t find a gown that fits her.It was like looking in a mirror to my past.
As all of this unfolded I became more reflective on how any of the above situations could have been me in my alternate reality which fortunately I decided to change.It really made me very thankful that those things are no longer my current reality.
I did also have a very funny thing happen at the hospital today.I have not adjusted to my blonde hair yet and today I dressed different.I had on tight jeans, a tight knit shirt and a jean jacket.I also parted my hair in the middle.I went to the public restroom at the hospital with is a large one with about 10 stalls and about 8 sinks.I go the second to last sink near the door.I wash my hands and turn to start walking out and kind of jump and said “sorry” as I was about to run in to someone who turned out to be me in the mirror.Too funny!At least it lightened my pensive mood.
9.gif

Sweetjettagirl, I got a ride in a Jetta today.Do you have one?Congratulations for loose fitting clothes.
Steph, 32 degrees?Wow, we were warmer here today than that.Stay warm girl.Good for you getting up early to exercise.
DeeJay, glad to hear you knees feel better.
Hi Geckodani.
ChargerGirl, glad to hear you are back in boot camp.You’ll drop those 2 pounds in no time.I haven’t lost all of my 4 pounds yet but I am getting there.
CDNBlingGal, yay for the great workouts.I don’t know much about the WW programs but I know lots of people love them.
Appletini, your evening plans sound fun.
Panda, we need to get a nonstick grill.Some days it is just too cold to cook on our gas grill.Marty isn’t well yet and I think I am catching it.Rats.
Zoe, glad to see you are back. No worries about not following your program, just pick a day and decide to start again.Yes, I am teaching my astronomy class again this semester.So far it seems like a nice group of students.
ILuvEmeralds, glad you are feeling your workouts.Have fun and good luck finding a new reception place.Good idea on airborne; I might take some when I am done here.
Kimi, I like your thoughts on controlling the scale vs what you put in your mouth and how much you move your body.Wise words my friend.
Skippy, yay for spending time with your cute and fun nephew.
Rod, I completely understand about hating the extra people and traffic for a special occasion.There is a week here every year that the locals hate for the same reason.I don’t blame you for not wanting to rent out your place for the week.It’s not worth it.
Lliang, yay for the doggie not running off with supper last night.Does the “monster” still feel bad?
Laters,

Marcy

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Marcy, I really hope Marty''s grandmother is okay! That''s a pretty bad fall for her, and you''re right she''s lucky it wasn''t worse. Weird alternate reality day. I''m glad you''re happy with your choices and new self. You have a lot to be proud of. :) I hope Marty feels better and bumps that cold. Stock up on zinc and vitamin C too.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lliang. Grandma is a tough lady and I know that will help her get through this. My day was very weird - almost Twilight Zone at times. I am delighted with the choices and changes I have made - and days like today motivate me to try even harder.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Lol, Rod...it is sooo cold here. I can''t wait till it warms up. Guess no one wanted to brave the elements, there were only a handful of people at the gym at 5!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Marcy, hoping Marty''s Grandma feels better really soon, that is awful.

Lliang, We are in Orlando now. Glad your parents crops will be okay, it is a huge deal here to have it get that cold...just something we''re not used to!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Steph. I sure feel bad for her. Good for you braving the cold this morning.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Well the wine event was fun, however the place is going out of business at the end of the month so we didn''t get to make our own wine. But we did get to do some tasting. And they showed us how they make it and some of us got to volunteer. We also each got a bottle to take home with our sorority logo as the label. And even crazier is that a news crew was there doing a story on how the economy is causing places to close. So that was interesting...I saw our group on the news when I got home.

emerald, I like both red and white, it just depends on what I''m doing or in the mood for. I drink tons of white in the summer b/c its so cool and refreshing but gravitate more to reds in the winter since they are cozy. But if its with a meal then I try to drink something that will compliment the food.

Zoe, How cool that your dad is becoming a yoga instructor. There is no way I could do that, I can never the names of any of the postures. I like going just so i can relax and get a mental break during the day, or Bikram if I need a real workout and to relax.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone
Sorry for slacking this week. I''ve just been in a half way panicky mode trying to organize every detail of my life. I''m tired of feeling like everything is in constant disarray. It''s very upsetting. I''ve been working out every day, crunches, squats, lunges, push ups, rows, curls, back work, plank, reverse crunches, jumping jacks and tread mill time. I''m battling a very UGLY fever blister. Any suggestions? It won''t go away. I''m going to post an updated pic later, I''m finally feeling.... satisfied with my body.... it''s getting where i want it to be. I''m probably going to get my belly button pierced Saturday which I never had the nerve to do before.... and I''m actually excited about bathing suit shopping this year YAY. The 5k was cancelled. I was going to have to make the trip alone. So we''re going to keep an eye out for another. I''m still going to run three miles that day though.

Skippy - how are you hon
Lorelei sorry I missed Monday

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I just found out about a "new" yoga studio that offers a variety of different types of yoga classes and pilates. I might try it soon. Its not as close to home as I''d like so it would be a Friday off/weekend kind of thing.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had my lunch work out today with coworkers #1 and #2, and a third one joined us to do some lunges. There were quite a few people in the gym today so it was good to see that not everyone has already forgotten their NY resolutions.

So far I have completed 4 of 5 days of exercise for the week. Not sure if I''ll be able to fit some in tomorrow or not. I have a mani/pedi at 10 with a friend so I defintiely won''t exercise after that and I need to bake a cake in the morning for my class, and my car is supposed to be ready tomororw (hopefully it really is)...so worst case scenario I''ll squeeze in some exercise on Sat/Sun.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys...sorry for the quick fly by. Hope I will get to post again later tonight to respond to everyone personally. Today was a crazy busy day...took Andrew to school, went to the dentist, worked out for an hour at the gym, did our taxes, and cooked a pot roast! Whew, we''re about to eat now...have a great night!

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Quick drop in for me. Grades are due tomorrow during our planning day from the kids so I''m trying to get some extra stuff done. I''ll be out most of tomorrow since we are leaving for competition on Saturday in Daytona. BUSY!! But, I''ll be glad when I get some more time to myself. :) Had a good workout day though, ran 3 miles this afternoon with a friend that included up and over a really big bridge by work. Felt good on my quads. Back to my treadmill 5am workout with my new circuit tomorrow morning....

Hopefully I''ll have time to drop by later tonight, if not I''ll check in with y''all tomorrow.

Just want to say though, Marcy I am SO sorry to hear about your grandma!! Sending good thoughts your way.

:)ILE

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey.........This has to be short. It was a long day. You know the drill. Went to work early. Stayed late. Got to the gym around 6:30. Worked out hard for 3 hours. Came home. Had a salad for dinner and couple squares of dark chocolate for dessert. YAYAYAYAYAY that tomorrow''s Friday. This has been a long and somewhat frustrating week. It needs to end.

I do want to say that I''m sorry about Marty''s grandmother falling and sure hope she''s OK. I''m sure your day was a bit Twilight Zonish............

Hey to everyone else and sorry for not writing individually.

I saw this on MSN as I was signing in and thought it was really interesting. To anyone who eats out (and that''s about each and everyone of us), this is a must read:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A recent study from the University of Arkansas says a mouthful: The average diner underestimates his or her calorie count by up to 93 percent when eating out. So every time you step through a restaurant door, you may be consuming twice what you bargained for. And that''s bad news for all of us: This year Americans will spend $500 billion—half of our total food dollars—eating out. It''s a double-dip disaster: More meals out, more calories consumed, more trouble from expanding waistlines.

Just ask David Zinczenko, co-author with Matt Goulding of the best-selling book, Eat This, Not That! (Rodale). During a single day recently, he visited three big chain restaurants, ordered normally, and consumed a whopping 6,000 calories—three times his recommended total. No, he didn''t eat a mountain of onion rings or a whole extra-large pizza. In fact, he didn''t even have snacks or dessert—just three square meals, including a bran muffin, a burrito, and a salad. It''s the way millions of Americans eat all the time, thinking they''re doing pretty well. But as the University of Arkansas study reveals, they''re badly underestimating the fat and calories of the foods they''re eating.

The good news is you can eat on the run and still lose weight. All while still eating the foods you love. You just need a strong sense of determination and a wary eye for the food traps. Start now by making smart choices like these ones here, and you''ll be skinnier by spring.

Breakfast sandwich

Eat This: Ham, egg & cheese English muffin sandwich

310 calories
10 g fat
5 g saturated
Not That: Multigrain bagel with light cream cheese
530 calories
17 g fat
Eat This, Not That! readers always indicate that breakfast is one of the most misunderstood meals of the day. So let''s say it once and for all: Bagels are bogus. Doesn''t matter if they''re made from multigrain and slathered with the lightest cream cheese in the world. A study from St. Louis University found that people who started their day with eggs consumed 264 fewer calories over the course of that day than those who started with bagels and cream cheese.

Why? Because protein kick-starts your metabolism, helps keep you feeling full throughout the day, and gets your body burning calories early and often. Empty carbs, either from bagels, pancakes, or even bran muffins, spike your blood sugar and set you up for a big energy crash—and the massive cravings that come along with it.

Doughnut

Eat This: Dunkin'' Donuts glazed doughnut

230 calories
10 g fat
Not That: Dunkin'' Donuts cake doughnut
330 calories
18 g fat
Maybe this is what they mean by rise and shine: The glazed doughnut is made with yeast, so it''s less dense than the 300-plus-calorie alternative. The cake doughnut is basically fried cake batter, packing an old-fashioned wallop of fat.

Breakfast

Eat This: French toast, 2 slices

298 calories
10 g protein
33 g carbs
14 g fat
3.5 g saturated fat
Not That: Belgian waffle
390 calories
8 g protein
48 g carbs
19 g fat
12 g saturated fat
No waffling here: Almost one-quarter the saturated fat and 90 fewer calories make French toast the smarter choice.

Burger

Eat This: McDonald''s Quarter Pounder with Cheese

510 calories
26 g fat
Not That: Burger King Whopper with Cheese
770 calories
48 g fat
Yes, you can keep your figure, or even shrink it, eating the occasional burger, as long as you know the right one to pick. Apparently BK''s famed flame-broiling does nothing to cut the calories on its most popular burger. And the massive bun and the thick layer of mayonnaise don''t help either. (Still, the regular Whopper''s got nothing on our list of America''s Worst Burgers.)

A few rules for the burger lovers out there who don''t want to kick the habit:

1) Choose four ounces of meat or fewer. Some chains serve burgers packing up to a full pound of beef, easily exceeding the USDA''s recommendation for meat intake—for an entire day.

2) No adding mayo or mysterious sauce. It doesn’t matter how "special" it may be, it can pack as many calories and fat as the meat itself. Ketchup, mustard, and barbecue sauce are all fine.

3) Can the combo. If you were to add a large fries and large Coke to McDonald''s relatively reasonable Quarter Pounder, that''s an extra 870 calories. If you want to eat cheeseburgers, you''ll have to show some restraint with the sides.

KFC

Eat This: Original Recipe Chicken Breast, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy

540 calories
24 g fat
Not That: Extra Crispy Chicken Breast, Potato Wedges
846 calories
43 g fat
When it comes to comfort food, traditional is always better. The colonel''s original recipe is a clear winner. The crispy chicken''s extra breading and the side of fries add 19 grams of fat, 300-plus calories, and a whole lot of carbs. Mashed potatoes and gravy, surprisingly enough, is one of the healthier sides to grab at KFC.

Wendy''s

Eat This: Single Classic with Everything

410 calories
24 g protein
37 g carbs
19 g fat
7 g saturated fat
Not That: Chicken BLT Salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing
660 calories
35 g protein
30 g carbs
44.5 g fat
12 g saturated fat
Why waste almost 50 grams of fat on a salad? In fact, judging by our leafy lineup of America''s Worst Salads, a bowl of greens can often be the worst thing on the menu to order. Indulge in a burger instead—for a quarter of the fat and 250 fewer calories. Just be sure to hold the cheese.

Snack

Eat This: 1 oz cheddar cheese with Triscuits

150 calories
5 g sugars
Not That: Granola bar
200 calories
15 g sugars
Ever wonder what keeps a granola bar together? The makers of one of America''s favorite (and most misunderstood) snacks use mostly high-fructose corn syrup as their glue, which in turn quickly raises blood sugar and cancels out any of the potential benefits you might otherwise get from the oats. Snacks are every bit as vital in keeping your metabolism revving and your energy levels consistently high. By switching over to good old-fashioned cheese and crackers, you swap out sugar and calories for protein and fiber. Talk about a great deal! (Learn about more incredible supermarket swaps with our list of the 125 Healthiest Supermarket Foods in America.)

Berry smoothie

Eat This: Dunkin'' Donuts 16 oz Strawberry Coolatta

290 calories
0 g protein
72 g carbs
0 g fat
0 g saturated fat
30 mg sodium
Not That: Krispy Kreme 16 oz Raspberry Frozen Blend
590 calories
6 g protein
99 g carbs
19 g fat
15 g saturated fat
230 mg sodium
Krispy Kreme makes their smoothies just like their doughnuts—laden with fat and calories. And they''re not alone in foisting unhealthy drinks upon us. Dunkin''s Strawberry Coolatta is an icy treat that won''t ruin your diet, at just 290 calories and no fat.

Ruby Tuesday''s

Eat This: 9 oz Sirloin with French Fries

615 calories
19 g fat
Not That: Bella Turkey Burger with Baked Potato
1,524 calories
84 g fat
People pay too much attention to the type of meat being served, and not enough attention to how it''s being served. "Steak=bad, turkey=good"—but it''s not always that simple. Fact is, a sirloin—among the leanest of all steaks—has about the same amount of calories, ounce-for-ounce, as turkey or chicken. Now take that turkey, stuff it into an oversized bun, cover it in cheese and mayo, and all of a sudden you have a burger with four times the amount of calories as a 9-ounce sirloin. Note to all sandwich, burger, and wrap lovers: Beware of the cheeses, special sauces, and dressings. It''s these, not the meat itself, that often pack the biggest punch.

Italian

Eat This: Lasagna, 1 serving antipasto, and 2 breadsticks

700 calories
28 g fat
Not That: Eggplant Parmigiana with spaghetti
1,065 calories
69 g fat
Just because it''s a veggie doesn’t mean it''s healthy: Eggplant is nature''s most absorbent sponge, soaking up more oil than a soggy salad after it''s breaded, fried, and smothered in cheese. During your next Italian feast, balance your breadsticks with protein-rich antipasto and lasagna—now mangia!

Steakhouse

Eat This: 6 oz grilled sirloin steak with a baked sweet potato

520 calories
56 g protein
19 g fat
8 g saturated fat
Not That: 6 oz grilled rib-eye steak with french fries
900 calories
48 g protein
60 g fat
21 g saturated fat
Enjoy your steak with a third of the fat and 300 fewer calories. A baked sweet potato gives your meal a shot of vitamin A—while French fries just drown the alternative plate in fat.

Cake

Eat This: Blueberry cheesecake, 1 slice

475 calories
30 g fat
Not That: Chocolate layer cake, 1 slice
850 calories
45 g fat
We too often look at dessert as an all-or-nothing proposition, as if deciding whether or not to eat it is the only choice that matters. But even within the world of indulgences, there can be a meal''s worth of calories separating a slice of cake from a slice of cheesecake, which is why every decision you make throughout the day—from breakfasts to snacks to the moments you''re rewarding yourself—demand careful consideration.

Cheesecake is by no means a model of healthy eating, but the graham cracker crust it invariably comes with is a relatively low-impact vehicle, and the blueberry topping (usually fresh or frozen berries simmered with lemon juice and a touch of sugar) adds a small dose of antioxidants to dessert.

Chocolate cake, on the other hand, is a dense wall of flour, butter, and sugar, spackled with multiple layers of frosting made with more butter and sugar and heavy cream. Ounce for ounce, it''s one of the most calorie-riddled foods on the planet.

Pie

Eat This: Pumpkin pie, 1 slice

320 calories
14 g fat
Not That: Pecan pie, 1 slice
610 calories
39 g fat
Pie''s the limit for making pecans unhealthy. Sugar, corn syrup, and molasses account for the nutty slice''s 62 grams of carbohydrates, and butter, eggs, and nuts don''t help the fat tally. Stick with pumpkin pie for a naturally rich and creamy dessert.

Dairy Queen

Eat This: Banana split

510 calories
8 g protein
96 g carbs
12 g fat
8 g saturated fat
180 mg sodium
Not That: Small Reese''s Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard
600 calories
14 g protein
87 g carbs
21 g fat
16 g saturated fat
220 mg sodium
Chilling but true: A small Blizzard has twice the saturated fat of an old-fashioned banana split. Go with the classic—with an extra spoon for sharing.

Want to shed a quick 10 pounds in the New Year? Enlist the help of a virtual 24-hour nutritionist at our premium Web site www.eatthis.com, where you can search thousands of restaurant foods, personalize menus for you and your family, and even print out grocery lists custom fit to your tastes and nutritional needs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I was a nervous eater today but at least it was only extra 100 calorie packs. I am worried about Grandma and seeing where she will be living for awhile. Marty is going out of town on Saturday for over a week and it doesn’t sound like Marty’s folks are coming home either so I am kind of stressed trying to handle it all myself.
I started my day out with a lot of fun. I knocked a single serving size grape juice in a plastic bottle off the top shelf in my fridge and it pretty much blew up and sprayed grape juice EVERYWHERE. I had to clean the floor, cabinets, countertops, stove, wall and ceiling. Then I had to change my clothes.
Marty stayed home sick today. His back was hurting so bad he said he could barely stand. Whenever he gets a cold it settles in his back and gets very sore. He had supper ready for us when I got home then we went to see Grandma.She is pretty blue and still confused.The bruises on her face look awful.
I dropped another pound yesterday so I am almost back to where I was prior to my sodium buffet run last weekend. I walked on the treadmill when we got home tonight.
Appletini, you little TV star you; the wine tasting sounds fun.I used to like white zin’s but have switched to red and white wine as I don’t favor really sweet drinks anymore.
Dragonfly, glad you are happy with where your body is now.All of your hard work is paying off.
36.gif
And I would like to say “OUCH” for piercing your belly button.
9.gif

Steph, I need to start figuring out our taxes too.I need to know the “bad” news and plan accordingly.
ILuvEmeralds, good luck at the competition this weekend.Glad you had a nice run today.Thanks for the well wishes for Marty’s grandmother.
Rod, thank you for the great list on foods in restaurants.It looks like I usually make the smart choice.
Have a great evening and tomorrow is finally Friday.
Laters,

Marcy

[/i]

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif

just popping in to say hi to my favorite workout buddies! I've been a busy little bee, but I think of you guys often. I've been swimming lots (3-4 times a week). I am grateful that the swimming is easy on my knees, which have always been problematic. Stupid me decided to try snowboarding over MLK weekend. It was so much fun (way better than skiing) but for the past week my bad knee has been hurting a lot.
7.gif
I went for a swim yesterday and thought it would be good for my knee, but no. I have a swim lesson on Saturday so hopefully I'll be better in time for that!

Anyway, I hope all of you are doing well. Marcy, Rod, Kimi, Steph, Lorelei, appletini, Skippy, DeeJay and all the new HLT-ers keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results