shape
carat
color
clarity

Headphones for running

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received really good recommendations on exercise gear in the past from fellow PSers so hoping to get leads on good headphones for running. I currently use samsung ear buds that came with my phone. The sounds quality is good but they tend to fall out of ears when I'm running. I don't like the design that looks like a headband. Any recommendations for ear buds that would stay in?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Normal earbuds go flying if I try to run with them. So annoying and such a hassle. I bought a pair of Bose sport earbuds and they never fall out and are so comfortable. TMI, but they breath so my ear sweat doesn't build up (so gross I know).

I think anything with a similar shape would work.

Goodluck with your running!

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I third the Bose ones. Expensive, but totally worth it.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have specific brand recs, but I find the soft squishy ones will stay in better than the hard plastic ones. I have an old pair of blackberry ones that came with multi-size squishy bits and they are some of the best headphones that I've ever had. I must have small ears (at least the inside!) because most regular ones are too big and hurt my ears quickly. The multi size squishy ones are great in that aspect too!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Not to be all stranger danger, but if you run outside I would avoid the quietcomfort line and go for the sport line by Bose. Their noise cancelling technology is very good and you want to hear your surroundings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bose.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to spend as much as bose costs, I'd recommend these. I just got them, and love them! The wireless feature is awesome, that way the cord doesnt get in your way. Also, they have the thing behind your ear to make sure they don't fall. They are my favorite headphones for working out.

Plus, they are almost comically inexpensive, so if you hate them then no harm done. Amazon is great with returns, which is why I decided I had to try them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV2BPVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1486520928|4125757 said:
Not to be all stranger danger, but if you run outside I would avoid the quietcomfort line and go for the sport line by Bose. Their noise cancelling technology is very good and you want to hear your surroundings.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Chemgirl. Baby Monster, please be safe and make sure you are still able to hear your surroundings. As far as I know most of the Bose headphones come with the ability to adjust how much you are screening out so you can screen out the white noise but still hear voices around you etc.

Happy and safe running!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go with bose then definitely get the sports ones. I was running in a pair of standard ones for ~6 months and the headphone jack just completely rusted -- which was really bad for audio quality. It wasn't sweat proof.

To bose's credit they completely replaced the headphones after rolling their eyes at me. But 3 years later I haven't even opened the plastic wrapping on the new ones as I only really use headphones to run.

20170208_203654.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to mention, my favorite pair so far was from the women's line here

http://www.yurbuds.com/en/

They are a bit cheaper than Bose, so maybe they will provide another option. I liked them because they lasted a while (I think I am a headphone serial killer).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks you all for the replies. I will look into the specific models mentioned. And thank you for the safety concerns. I'm actually afraid to run outside because of last year's jogger cases so I'm usually on the treadmill.

I see a few bluetooth headphones mentioned. Does anyone else have concerns about using this technology right next to the head? I guess I'm old school and always used the wired ones but with apple removing headphone jack things seem to be going in wireless direction. Maybe I"m being a little too cautious but I couldn't find any studies or actual research online on safety of bluetooth headphones.

P

PierreBear

I haven't read all the threads but it does seem that wireless is the new trend at the gym. I have a pair myself, nothing special and inexpensive. There is a way to charge it through a USB like port and I find that it rattles when I run since you have to pull out a rubber covering to plug it in. Given that I just wanted to use it to watch a show or listen to music while at the gym, I was ok with the disturbance. Just wanted to share that tidbit to look for throughout reviews. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the wireless headphones and don't see any other issues.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1486518330|4125743 said:
I don't have specific brand recs, but I find the soft squishy ones will stay in better than the hard plastic ones. I have an old pair of blackberry ones that came with multi-size squishy bits and they are some of the best headphones that I've ever had. I must have small ears (at least the inside!) because most regular ones are too big and hurt my ears quickly. The multi size squishy ones are great in that aspect too!

Ditto the blackberry ones. That's what I use right now. I do sprints on the treadmill and they stay put.

As for running outside, I don't like to run with headphones. As others have suggested, I prefer to remain aware of my surroundings (bikes going past, dogs etc). I'm also a cyclist and I've never understood why headphone wearing runners get mad when they're startled because a bike passes by despite bell ringing and yelling 'on your left!'. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Anyone have an explanation? lol

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo I love B&W. We used to have 803D's. when we moved, we went to a much smaller footprint (twas necessary) and got a limited edition 805D series.

I got the C5 S2 headset off amazon. Love them and they're very comfortable for workouts. As a rule though I don't tend to enjoy inner ear type headphones for too long but those get me through 2 hours. For everything else (movies on my computer listening to conference calls, etc) I also have a set of P3 S2.

I will say that most people are ok with bose, but I personally hate the sound that comes out of bose.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I run about 5-6x a week, mostly on the treadmill. I watch a lot of Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime on my phone. I have the Bose SoundSport Wireless (https://smile.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSport-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B01L7PSJFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486597245&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+wireless+sport) and the Plantronics BackBeat Fit (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJLMBSO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They both do a great job of staying in my ears. I can't go back to wired headphones after having used wireless for the past few years - it's just so much more freeing!

I'd say of the two, I think the Bose are more comfortable, but the Plantronics are more reliable. I had a problem with my first pair of Bose wireless headphones where the volume would suddenly turn way down and then the unit would shut off on it's own. Bose sent me another pair but I've been hesitant to use them much. Also, the Bose headphones come with this annoying little shirt clip that you need to use to clip to the back of your tee, otherwise the headphone cord bounces against the back of your neck. I forgot to take the take the clip off before I took off my shirt, and I ripped the clip right off. Anyway, minor gripe, but I'd say get the Plantronics ones - maybe slightly less comfortable and poorer sound quality, but more functional and reliable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results