shape
carat
color
clarity

He wants to go shopping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
...and it was his idea! I''m floored. In a bit of shock, too. My sweetie told me on Thursday night that when he comes home for Christmas/New Year''s (in 6 days yay!) that he wants to go shopping for last minute xmas gifts so he doesn''t have to travel with them. He asked if I wanted to go with him, which of course I do, and mentioned ''Wanna pick out your ring?'' Of course he was joking, right? So I started laughing, to which he replied ''I''m serious...I want to know exactly what you like because I''m clueless about diamonds.'' I''m a bit confused, because he has an heirloom diamond that he was going to use...but lately he''s been saying he wants to pick out his own for me. So yeah, we''re going ring shopping! I don''t even know where to start. I told him if he doesn''t want me involved in buying a new diamond, I''ll direct him to my ''jewelry friends'' as he so affectionately calls us PSers, because I''m trying to get it in his head that he''ll save a bunch of money buying online. He''s nervous because he knows nothing about diamonds, so I told him I''d teach him what I know...but he''s adamant about going in to look and learn and I am not complaining at all! I have no idea where to go......but I''m so excited!!! I mentioned that Good Old Gold is an awesome place to learn and it''s about an hour away from where he lives...so he wants to go visit when I fly out in January! I don''t know what''s gotten into this guy!
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great!!! And I remember you mentioning when we were having lunch last weekend that he had a family diamond so I'll be curious to see what's going on. Maybe he wants to give you that diamond but have you pick a different setting, one that you like and choose? Keep us posted--I'm very excited for you!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t know either D...but I''m excited! He''s thinking he''ll take a look at the diamond next week. All he knows is that it''s 1/2 carat, and he thinks it''s European. Now, I don''t know if that means it''s an OEC, an EC, or if it was just purchased in Europe.
2.gif
I just have no idea where to go. The entire time he''ll be home will be insane shopping-wise because of last minute xmas shoppers and then the crazy after xmas sales...any ideas on a good, knowledgable place in the area to just browse? I did a search and it sounds like downtown is the place to be...but who knows!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, how exciting IrishAngel!!! You are going to have such a fun time teaching him all the diamond basics and looking at settings.
36.gif
36.gif

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that''s great!!! i can''t imagine anything more fun that shopping for a ring
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news!! I hope that you see an amazing one!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irish, that is great. I really hope you get something that YOU want and are happy with, and that knowing he wanted you to have it makes it even better!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohooooooo!!
36.gif
36.gif
I hope you have SO much fun shopping around!

Major kudos to your guy for wanting to include you in the process
31.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yay, it's so exciting!
36.gif
Enjoy!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you DMBsgirl, bee, diamondfan, musey, and anchor! I came down with a nasty cold so I''m pretty miserable right now, but still excited! I honestly don''t know what I want anymore (thanks PS!) and at this point I don''t care...whether he resets his grandmother''s diamond or picks out a new one. I just don''t want him to pay more than he has to given the fact that he''ll inherit student loan debt from me once I finish my master''s. Maybe we''ll do some comparison shopping online when we get back from the b&m. 6 days! =)

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting!! Ya''ll will have a blast!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw YaY Irish!
36.gif
9.gif
I''m so happy for you!

So you guys will go shopping in Chicago? If so, have you spent any time on Dimend Scaasi''s site? Just for ideas...since they have a b&m store downtown. Then there is CD Peacock, and omg on and on...for "trying on" stores, anyway!

Any way you guys would travel to Oak Lawn for a couple hours? It will be busy, but our jewelry is Martin & Martin, I can give you the address and phone number. Even with internet prices, they are quite competitive and helpful even if you end up buying a stone/ring online. I would be happy to share that resource with you if you would rather go to a more low-key jeweler and kind of try on things before making a decision...let me know. When I plugged my diamond stats into PS''s search thingie when I first started frequenting this website, their prices were totally in line with online stores, such as GOG, etc...so just wanted to let you know that. I''ve even looked at resetting my diamond and their setting prices are super competitive as well, so even as far as settings they are a great place to go. But I''m not trying to say there''s anything wrong with the online route either, in case you have your heart set on something.

Congrats! I am really looking forward to the May gem show now, in hopes that you will be there with some more bling on your left hand, lol!
35.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
IrishAngel, that is VERY exciting! I second Monarch''s suggestion to try out Dimend Scassi. I went there and tried on rings. The woman, whose name is Alexa, was very nice and so helpful. I also have a friend who bought from there and she''s very happy. My bf didn''t buy there but I had a great experience looking. Certainly, downtown on Randolph has tons of stores but I did find that after Dimend Scassi, I was looking at much of the same stuff and the other stores and more crowded.. definitely this time of year.
There are soooo many places to look in the Chgo area, if that is where you are. Lots in the suburbs.

Have fun looking!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Well Monnie, I doubt anything will be there by May...but there''s always hope right? I''ll keep your jeweler in mind! I''m not sure we''ll make it there next week...there''s a lot going on with the holidays and all, but Oak Lawn is about 45 minutes south of me so it''s not too bad. I''ve heard nothing but awesome things about d.scassi so I''d definitely like to check them out. We have time though. =)

Dixie~ I think when we go downtown (not sure when) we''ll start at Dimend Scassi. I''m in no rush since once I start looking I''ll start obsessing...you know how it is. I''m actually in the suburbs so that''s where we''ll start, especially this time of year. Still sick but still excited. =)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IrishAngel, also check out Marshall Pierce at 29 E. Madison, 6th Floor (right when you get off the elevator). Ask for Jim Bern, he''s one of the owners and he''s getting my Kelege setting for me (which hopefully will be in this week!!!) They have some stuff in the cases, but he has lots of trays arranged by designer in the back, so get him to bring those out for you too.

Happy shopping!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D...Mrs S told me about Marshall Pierce in my other thread in RT...which I''m sure has died by now! LOL

Thank you!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Irish Angel,

I just saw your post. Did you and your BF go shopping for rings? I laughed when I read what you wrote because my boyfriend and I have been looking for MONTHS, with no plans that I know of yet to make it official (of course, it should be a surprise to me, but I''m not very patient).

If you''ve gone shopping, what have you seen that you''ve liked? It''s so much fun isn''t it? I''m still learning about the diamond biz, but it''s (shopping online and checking out all different styles) becoming a new hobby.

19.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zoe~
Yes, we went looking last weekend. We only went to one local jeweler because I was still getting over my sinus infection and it was the Saturday before Christmas. It was fun, but I''ll probably do some more hunting when the malls calm down. The jeweler we went to was very nice but they didn''t carry any name brands and I''m dying to see a royal crown in person. I keep leaning towards a small halo (we have a 1/2 carat heirloom ec or oec) but part of me wants a solitaire...then my mom mentioned "If M asked me I''d tell him to get a yg band with two small sidestones" which would also be lovely......so really I''m more confused than ever but we have time to figure it out. =) Where have you looked?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results