shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA uncovers a great buy?

martingale

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been shopping for a 1ct stone for a little while now, learning everything I can. I recently started using HCA to help evaluate potential purchases. I saw this stone recently (in person)...

GIA Report
Round Brilliant
Size: 1.03ct
6.45 - 6.49 x 4.00 mm
Color: H
Clarity: I1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: THN to STK, F (3.5%)

Table: 57%
Depth: 61.9%
Crown Angle: 34.5 deg
Pavilion Angle: 41.0 deg
Star Length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%

The above specs give the following HCA output (assuming I'm using it correctly :) ):

Light Return - Excellent
Fire - Very Good
Scintillation - Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight - Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.9 - Excellent

I've uploaded the reference diagram showing the inclusions. The main offender on the left (which I had a hard time seeing, for what it's worth) would be mostly covered by a setting prong.

So now, the price...$4,500. Would I be totally out of line by saying this is a really good deal? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably want an I1 stone with feathers on the edge to be evaluated by an independent appraiser. I personally would never buy an I1 stone for an engagement ring and would rather have a .90 with better clarity. But if the inclusions don't pose any structural problems and your girlfriend doesn't care about clarity, then the price sounds okay for what you are getting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS.
Often engagement rings are worn every day so I'd be concerned about I1 feathers on girdle, especially since part of the girdle is thin.

If you buy it perhaps consider mounting it in a full bezel setting to protect the girdle.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fantastic deal at all - the I1 clarity grade lowers value considerably, esp since it's not a branded specialty cut.

JA has a handful of well-proportioned GIA H I1s around 1ct right now, they're listed at 4-5k

No reason an I1, I2 can't be well-proportioned. The labs don't consider the effects of inclusions on cut grade in terms of obstruction of light return, or durability (beyond say a vthin/exthin girdle thanks to an inclusion) - you would want expert eyes to evaluate this, esp for something as cherished as an Ering I think.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree. It isn't the deal that you think that your getting. It'a amazing how much abuse our rings can take even when we think we are being super careful. One good whack and you could easily end up cracking your stone and then your 'deal' goes out the window. If you do go this route, I second the full bezel suggestion, it will better protect the thin girdle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results