shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA and faster sorting

adom

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I have been applying some of the principles suggested to me on how to further evaluate certified stones and this includes the calculation of a stones HCA. It is suggested that <2.0 is best.

As I try and go through the diamonds, many many GIA excellent so not make those numbers and OMG I am tired of entering diamonds into that form.

Are there certain dimensions that I should just automatically exclude so I know I can just skip calculating that diamond?

Soooo many hours on this learning. But, I am making progress. Thanks again!

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Adom,

There is no bulk processing system and HCA is a rejection tool. You remind me a lot of myself, I did the exact same thing as you. Then finally found a vendor who was just perfect considering I never saw the stone and live about 4,500 miles away.

Also consider if this is your first stone and funds are limited when you have more cash to splash out, choose a vendor with a decent upgrade policy so you can trade in your stone. Buying is the easy part, wait until you try and sell it!

What are you looking for exactly?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
adom|1446131120|3943392 said:
Ok, so I have been applying some of the principles suggested to me on how to further evaluate certified stones and this includes the calculation of a stones HCA. It is suggested that <2.0 is best.

As I try and go through the diamonds, many many GIA excellent so not make those numbers and OMG I am tired of entering diamonds into that form.

Are there certain dimensions that I should just automatically exclude so I know I can just skip calculating that diamond?

Soooo many hours on this learning. But, I am making progress. Thanks again!

Buy an AGS graded stone graded 000. Those stones have already been evaluated for light performance and found to be ideal.

Done.

adom

Rough_Rock
egomnoel - I actually am trying to help a close friend. I offered to help before I realized that I know less than I thought. :razz: So I am trying to get up to speed so that once he figures out the specifics of what he thinks he wants, I can provide some feedback and assist in finding the right stone and setting. So right now is learn learn learn and practice practice practice. I don't yet have his specifics, so I am putting together factors that I think might be worth his considering.

KB1GRA - From by note to egomnoel, you can see that I will not have full control over the process. AGSL ideal is lovely, but if we encounter a vendor that has predominantly GIA, it would be great to have the HCA for consideration.

I just thought that there might be "never" numbers that might help me spot a dud before running it thought the calculator. Are there any?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depth - 60 - 62%
Table - 54- 57%
Crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
Pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
Girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
Polish and symmetry - very good and above

Note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41), check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

The above is by Gypsy.

adom

Rough_Rock
Chrono and indirectly gypsy - those numbers help a lot. They would have knocked out a large percentage of the stones I wasted my time putting into the calculator.

Exactly what I needed! Thx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results