shape
carat
color
clarity

Having trouble photographing my ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
I want to post some hand pix of my ring, but I can''t get my camera to focus on it. They are coming out really blurry when it actually takes. I have a digital Nikon D90.
I put it on the picture of the flower (I assume that is the macro setting). Should I be shooting in natural light without flash? Any tips? Thanks all!! Oh yeah, I do have a pic from our jeweler. Here it is!!

five ct cushion.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look in your manual for how to set it to manual focus.
Use a tripod or set the camera on a table and position ring, have plenty of light and set your lens aperture to f16 to get some depth of focus.
(Setting it to f22 or f32 would give you more depth of focus but may introduce a little of another kind of distortion.)

Use the camera's timer to take the pic so you don't get vibration from your hand holding the camera.

Natural light is preferred but be sure you have your white balance set to match the light source.
(It's default setting may be AUTO.)

You may be too close.
There is a limit to how closely each lens can focus.
Check the manual for your lens, or better yet, look through your viewfinder while manually focusing.
Also that flower setting may not mean much if the lens on the camera is not a macro lens (Nikon calls them micro-Nikkors).

For hand pics be sure your hand is resting on something so it can remain absolutely still.
Many good highly magnified pics will have long shutter speed so any movement will blur pic.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
For other tips, in the SMTR forum, there is a thread on how to take good pictures of your diamond.

Hurry!! That rock looks like a stunner!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2009 7:48:49 PM
Author: kenny
Look in your manual for how to set it to manual focus.
Use a tripod or set the camera on a table and position ring, have plenty of light and set your lens aperture to f16 to get some depth of focus.
Use your timer to take the pic so you don''t get vibration from your hand.
This is brilliant!

Definitely don''t use flash, you don''t want that reflecting back at you
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hand shots please!!
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks gorgeous can''t wait to see more photos. I can''t add any tips past what you''ve already got.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the flower setting is correct. That''s macro. If you don''t have a tripod, it''s best to make sure both the ring and camera are stationary. The self-timer will help prevent movement too. You can set the camera on a book or box or something instead of a tripod. The range of focus is very limited and any movement of either will throw things off. It will take a few shots but prevent both from moving and you should be well on your way. Beautiful ring!

Treefrog

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. For photos macro mode is all I do. . .I still haven''t read my camera manual and many of my photos turn out blurry - it takes about 10 photos to get one or two good ones. Be sure to steady your hand by resting it on a table or your knee (if your crouching down while the ring is placed on a flower).

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys! I have a photographer coming to do some family photos next week. I think I''m going to have her snap a few of the ring while she''s here!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results