shape
carat
color
clarity

Having jewelry shipped from USA to France? Worth it?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering buying an item of jewelry located the United States. The seller said she would ship it to me in France. But I am wondering if it’s worth it. How high are the fees and taxes? I know the VAT is 20%.
Are fees and taxes paid on actual value, or on how much I paid for the jewelry? It is preowned.
The seller could mail it to my house, and the housesitter could mail it to me as my own jewelry, which it would be at that point. Does that make a difference in the fees?
The ring is a great deal, but won’t be if I have to pay a lot of fees on top of international shipping.

Just sorting out how things work, and my internet searches on the subject have not been great.
Thanks in advance!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
When I looked at shipping to the UK, it was the VAT + import duties on top so quite a lot of money. If it’s sent from your own home to your current home as your possession, you won’t be paying VAT on it.

PS It does sound like a potential tax dodge, though.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FedEx will also take a handling fee...
For me it's worth it, because I don't have a US address. I your case I'd probably wait...

The fees, customs and duties are based on the value. So if you don't want to pay taxes on the real value l, you can't insure for the whole value.

Big risk

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also you need to be certain that the shipper has his options right, because I had to go and pick up a parcel at a FedEx location that was 50 km away, but I had to go around Paris ... Took me 5 hours for the round trip including waiting there. Not worth it yo ME.

I bought from Alex Park recently and the overnight shipping took really only 22 hours. I was very impressed.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to you both. I think I’ll pass on this little project (unless I just have the seller ship it to NC and wait until fall to see it (!) ) and will buy something in the EU if I need a bling fix.

Kipari, that roundtrip sounds godawful. Even more incentive to “shop local”!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I had a question about buying from the US (I am in the UK). I have purchased a vintage ring and paid £270 including shipping and insurance. Can announced any light on any duty/ charges getting it into the UK?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results