shape
carat
color
clarity

Haven!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I saw in another thread that you are no longer a high school teacher!!! I totally missed that one! If I may ask, how did you make the jump to college? That is something I seriously want to do. I am months away from my Master''s degree but probably wouldn''t do the college thing until after I have kids.

How is everything going?!?!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Blair!

You are correct! I resigned my HS position at the end of the summer and I couldn''t be happier.

I''ve actually been working as an adjunct instructor at our local community college since 2005, I think. Maybe it was 2004. I actually nabbed my first teaching assignment there by calling the English department chair and convincing her that she wouldn''t be wasting her time if she gave me an interview. At the time I didn''t have a master''s yet, so I couldn''t teach transferable college classes, but I could teach classes that were prereqs for transferable classes, and I managed to convince the chair to give me a class.

I adore teaching community college, and I''ve loved it since the first course I taught. The only reason I took a high school position was that I had gone to grad school for my 6-12 cert (Type 09) and felt like I would always wonder if I should be teaching HS if I never tried it. That, and the school''s former principal called me and offered me the job AND full tuition for my MEd in Reading and Literacy. (I student taught at the school, and taught summer school every summer, so they knew me well.) I couldn''t turn down the full-time position and the free MEd, so I took it.

I''m currently only teaching six hours at the CC, and then 3 hours on Saturdays at Northwestern in SESP''s K-12 gifted program. I''m on the schedule to teach grad students in my former reading program next semester, and I''m really excited for that.

I guess this is just my long-winded way of saying I got into teaching CC by calling up the dept chair and finagling an interview for myself. Most CCs rely on hiring a lot of adjuncts due to budget constraints, so they are usually looking for instructors.

What area do you want to teach? I definitely recommend considering teaching CC, I absolutely love it.
Elmorton teaches CC as well, I believe. She may teach at a four year college though, I''m not 100% sure.

Everything is going so well, thank you so much for asking, Blair! How is your year going?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
oooh that sounds fantastic! I hope to do that one day very soon! Things are really going well...married life is great but lately I haven''t seen DH the last 2 days because we have both been so busy! I wake up and he is sleeping, he comes home and I am sleeping....Work and grad school are SUPER busy but I am getting by! Thanks for asking!
9.gif
I have to post more photos from my wedding but I''m waiting to get the rights to all my pro photos-should be soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results