shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you gone on a cruise? What wisdom can you share?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom is going on a cruise 6 days from now! She is excited but also very nervous. It will be a Princess Cruise.

Any tips? Tricks? Fun ideas? Share your experiences!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I like to get booked into the early dinner seating so that we're done in time to make any of the shows that might be appealing. I also like to preview the port reviews at Cruise Critic, and make sure to plan a hosted shore excursion for those ports that might be somewhat limited otherwise. I also limit shore excursions to 1-2 tops as I prefer to explore ports on my own. The team trivia challenges can be a fun way to meet other people, and you have a better chance of winning the more (and more diverse) people in your group. Oh, and feel free to dress up if you want on formal nights. Many people go full-on ball gown/tux. Others do more fancy cocktail party dress/suit.

The rest is easy. The cruise lines and ports are very organized and they take very good care of everyone. I've never felt I had to be worried about leaving my belongings in the cabin as you have the same stewards every day. Oh, and skip the "shopping consultant" presentations. They work on commission from the port shops they will promote (usually Diamond International/Tanzanite International if you are in the Caribbean) and the free gifts are laughably bad.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one thing that has the potential to ruin a cruise - or any ride in a water vessel for that matter - is motion sickness. I have grown up on the ocean, however one thing people are shocked to learn about me is that I suffer from absolutely devastating sea sickness. Even on calm days at sea I can be very ill if not medicated and even when medicated I can be ill if I do certain things that start a dominoes effect. So if she is unsure of whether she gets sea-sick or in case she does, here is what I recommend as I deal with the same kinds of seas she will be on but I'm in boats as small as 15 feet long:

1. Get 25mg phenergan and have her pop 2 as she goes to bed the night before the cruise, they work like sea-sick medication but for longer and more effectively. She maybe a bit drowsy and have cottonmouth the first day but if she pops one each night before she sleeps on the cruise she should be fine for the rest of the trip. She may even be alright after sleeping onboard the first night and not need the medication.
2. If she starts feeling sick, tell her to get onto the open deck for fresh air and look at the clouds or horizon. Looking into the ship or the water will work in the opposite and make her even more sick
3. If she has been sick, soft drinks will help soothe her stomach. She still needs water to rehydrate but soft drinks help. Ginger beer is best as the ginger is a natural treatment for sickness
4. The ship usually has an infirmary for dealing with seasickness so she may want to know where that is

Hope this helps!! :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of large cruise ships (I've only done a couple of smaller cruises), so my advice would be limited to the obvious: wash your hands frequently (and pack hand sanitizer and/or even Lysol if possible).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to cruise a lot before we got a place in Panama. Nowadays, not so much!

Cruising can be fun. Check out Cruise Critic for sure. They sometimes have meetup groups for each trip, so if you're mom is going alone, it may be a way for her to meet up with other people.

Also check for shore excursions where she's visiting. And she should always be early back, never late ( Cruise sponsored excursions are the only ones that can be late. You go on your own, they can and will leave you sometimes if you're late!) One more thing about her visit, get her a insulated camelback eddy or a Hydroflask and fill it with water and ice from the ship. Not knowing her health situation, its best for her to drink from known water sources.

Personally I like and have a few Hydroflasks because they really do hold their temps and they're relatively inexpensive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01720CDTG?psc=1

She should keep a copy of her passport on her person whenever she's off the ship. No need to take the real thing, a copy will do for ID purposes.

Mosquito repellant. I do recommend one with deet.

Sturdy walking shoes. Keen has some amazing sandals that cross the bridge between casual and hiking (and some dry super fast)
http://www.keenfootwear.com/sandals
Depending on her energy level and excursions, they're worth it (I use mine pretty much every day though ;)) )

Also, a walking stick. I know passe right? but again this is your mom. if she's doing any type of excursion that involves hiking or walking/hiking, YES get one! I have 2, I used mine a lot when I hiked with my dog and also in Ecuador. Some of the excursions when I cruised warranted having at least one of them along, and it closed up well enough to fit in a suitcase (or easy enough to hang on a backpack!). The extra added benefit, you can beat the hell out of somebody if they mess with you...just sayin!! Mine are aluminum. No need for some old lady looking thing right?
https://www.amazon.com/High-Telescopic-Trekking-Walking-Climbing/dp/B0140GSYFW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1473776332&sr=1-3&keywords=Hiking+sticks

If she's island hopping, cash is king, take plenty. I make sure to have lots of ones especially. She'll have a safe in her room so she should not carry too much with her everywhere.

Most cruise lines either do auto gratuity, which I recommend if Princess has it. I do auto and leave something extra for the folks that clean my room.

On the ship they will have plenty to do. Many have a gym, sometimes some classes like yoga or spinning. There's a pool (but I'm not a lounge by the pool type person) Also, early A.M. is one of the best times to get up and take a walk around the boat. Not sure what her ship will be like but most have a jogging path on the upper deck.

Then there's some deckside games too.

The after dinner shows can be lots of fun depending on what they have. And yeah I played bingo on the ship (I didn't win but is that really the object??)

As said, wash hands, sanitize, take it SERIOUS! and yes, if she has her own lysol, even better, and I'm not even a germophobe! Noro is nasty as hell, it can really take a lot out of you so yes, this is where she needs to really be careful and wash her hands a lot. There will be hand sanitizer all over the ship, but she should have her own for off the ship times.

I also carried small pack of travel toilet paper (hey, ever have to use the toilet in on a small island? yeah worth it!! :appl: )

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh I'm excited to hear recs as well.....my DH and I are taking our first cruise in November :)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1473736620|4075770 said:
The one thing that has the potential to ruin a cruise - or any ride in a water vessel for that matter - is motion sickness. I have grown up on the ocean, however one thing people are shocked to learn about me is that I suffer from absolutely devastating sea sickness. Even on calm days at sea I can be very ill if not medicated and even when medicated I can be ill if I do certain things that start a dominoes effect. So if she is unsure of whether she gets sea-sick or in case she does, here is what I recommend as I deal with the same kinds of seas she will be on but I'm in boats as small as 15 feet long:

1. Get 25mg phenergan and have her pop 2 as she goes to bed the night before the cruise, they work like sea-sick medication but for longer and more effectively. She maybe a bit drowsy and have cottonmouth the first day but if she pops one each night before she sleeps on the cruise she should be fine for the rest of the trip. She may even be alright after sleeping onboard the first night and not need the medication.
2. If she starts feeling sick, tell her to get onto the open deck for fresh air and look at the clouds or horizon. Looking into the ship or the water will work in the opposite and make her even more sick
3. If she has been sick, soft drinks will help soothe her stomach. She still needs water to rehydrate but soft drinks help. Ginger beer is best as the ginger is a natural treatment for sickness
4. The ship usually has an infirmary for dealing with seasickness so she may want to know where that is

Hope this helps!! :)

100% agree. I took a 40th birthday cruise with my best friend awhile back and it ended up being a not so great experience because of motion sickness. I wish I was more prepared. I did do my best though to enjoy the beautiful sights!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1473729642|4075719 said:
My mom is going on a cruise 6 days from now! She is excited but also very nervous. It will be a Princess Cruise.

Any tips? Tricks? Fun ideas? Share your experiences!

I have been on 6 or 7 cruises, I love it, but not much lately, next year! I hope. Anyway, one of the things I found very useful is research on outings, I've never done a Princess ship but I've done Azamara, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. My husband did a lot of research when we did the Baltic Sea cruise on Celebrity, he found a tour - a 2 day tour of St. Petersbug Russia that was MILES better than what the cruise line was offering, same price. Our tour leader was Russian, and loved, loved Russia and it showed.. we learned tons, so now when we cruise we research and either go with the cruise line or find a better deal or more intricate tours.. Someone mentioned cruise critic and that is a great place to start, but I would read everything... I highly suggest rain gear, just to be on the safe side.. Take advantage of the shows although we never have as I am an early to bed and early riser...don't get to the cruise ship too early! standing in line is another HUGE cruise activity, especially if they ferry you in small boats. I hope she has the best time!

peace.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SCOPOLAMINE PATCHES.

End of story. Saved my life on ships.

Stupid pills don't work, and make you drowsy. Or worse, if you're already sick and vomiting, they're ending up in the toilet anyway. Ginger is bullsh*t. Those pressure point bracelets are a scam.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! My mom will have a great experience!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results