shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever received a gift that was exactly what you never knew you wanted/needed?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's limit this to physical gifts so the thread doesn't get too mushy. :))

animals-birthday_present-birthday_gift-dog-canine-pet-gra111014_low.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really slow to warm up to tech stuff, I get used to something and tend to stick with it unless I’m forced to change.

Going back quite a few years DH asked about getting a new car stereo in our old car because it could sync to my IPhone via Bluetooth (this is going back quite a bit apparently). Wasn’t a huge fan, I had a radio, it worked fine but he said I would really like it so he bought one for Mother’s Day and had it installed.

It was a game changer, and I did really end up enjoying it and not knowing what I did without it.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
1. My first blue sapphire ring. That opened the floodgates. :mrgreen:It wasn't too long after that my husband said quietly "I've created a monster, haven't I". Technically I did want a blue sapphire, sometime, eventually, maybe, but I definitely didn't realise just how much I wanted it.

2. This (it's a gaming keypad):

1710789731903.png

I married a gamer and a game dev. So video games are a significant part of our lives. Only when he gifted me this did I realise how much ergonomics matter, having your wrist and hand at a proper angle so you don't get tired and sore.

I used it so much and for so long, it doesn't work properly anymore. I'm contemplating buying the new model.

3. Last is actually a gift I gave to my husband for his last birthday, but you can say we both heavily benefited from it:

1710793755465.png
This is a very very basic sketch tablet. The display is pressure sensitive so you can write whatever you need with the included stylus. The one singular button only has one function - to erase the entire display. Works with one teeny tiny round battery that lasts forever because it only draws power when it erases. Whatever you write stays on until you erase it.

We have been using it so. much. When I bought it I thought it might be a useful gadget, but oh my, did I underestimate it. Notes. Shopping lists. Doodles. All sorts of things you only need to write down for a bit. Visual aid when one of us is in a meeting and you have to convey a message somehow. Even paw print art when the cat walks over it! :lol:

It's cheap, it's flimsy, it does very little and we both love it.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Aerogarden. My daughter gave it to me as a Christmas gift a few years ago and I love that I can grow fresh herbs in the winter. This year I planted a few mini tomato plants in it and my first tomato is now almost ripe!
IMG_7108.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very basic but my husband gave me a coaster with a heart on it last Valentine’s Day. It’s very simple in design but I use it every day for my morning cup of tea and night time glass of water!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was given these amazing wool socks one Christmas, and they were so soft and cushiony and warm that I immediately bought a bunch more. I pretty much live in them during the winter now.

maggies-organics-organic-wool-killington-hiking-socks-olive-1_800x.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! TIVo! Greg bought it for me in 2000 and I had never even heard of it. I was like WTH is this. He said you’ll love it. And he was right. We are still enjoying TiVo 24 years later. ❤️

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I am really slow to warm up to tech stuff, I get used to something and tend to stick with it unless I’m forced to change.

Going back quite a few years DH asked about getting a new car stereo in our old car because it could sync to my IPhone via Bluetooth (this is going back quite a bit apparently). Wasn’t a huge fan, I had a radio, it worked fine but he said I would really like it so he bought one for Mother’s Day and had it installed.

It was a game changer, and I did really end up enjoying it and not knowing what I did without it.

I am the EXACT same way! I tend to stick with things that work until they fall apart particularly where tech is concerned. My husband is the opposite, a total early adopter, and sometimes this drives me nuts.

Anyway, he gave me a nightstand charger that charges my phone, ipod case, and apple watch in one go. I love it so much that I actually pack it on longer trips to cut down on the amount of cords and adapters I need!

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I can speak for DH - his favorite gift was a $20 snowcone maker, despite me giving him much nicer gifts over the years like a bass guitar and amp! haha. He uses that dumb thing every day, can’t believed the motor hasn’t burned out.

I have a few favorites of my own, just in case this is looking for gift suggestions.

- My mom bought me my first Le Creuset dutch oven. I have a ton of them now, that’s how much I love them!

- A YETI 20 oz tumbler I use for my diet soda/iced coffee every day, stays cold all day.

- A Nintendo switch, great for a quick 15-30 min wind down at night and it’s perfect to break up plane rides.

- A pair of Pikolinos boots. So comfy for work and travel. I’ve bought a few pairs since!

- Merino wool dresses, leggings, socks, long sleeve tops. Easy to launder, warm in wet weather, doesn’t smell in my luggage after a trip. *This is my favorite, in terms of a thing I ask for every year.

- For bling - a platinum and emerald bracelet converted from an art deco watch from my in-laws. It’s my go to piece to make any dress feel *very* fancy.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Sephora Sun Safety Kit. A bag filled with tiny bottles of lots of different sunscreens, kinds I probably would not have splurged to buy. I get to try everything. I love it!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dive watch from spouse. She asked a year or two earlier what kind of watch I would like "just in case" and I helpfully said anything except a dive watch.

I've worn it every day for 20+ years. It's a "name" but just quartz and is on its second movement (watch equivalent of rolling the odometer, I guess). :lol-2:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for the awesome responses!

Reactions: dvj

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Years ago my DH was on a business trip in India. He always brought me gifts when traveling, usually cute trinkets or collectables, nothing too over the top. But that time he bought me a lovely strand of ballerina pink pearls. I was never a fan of pearls, I'm a diamond kinda girl. So I wouldn't have ever asked for pearls, but I fell in love with that necklace. The color, the size, he knew exactly what was me, and sorted thru a lot of options, and vendors lol, till he found the one he knew fit me. (Apparently the necklaces could be pretty over the top, a lot of multi-layered strands, and a single classic strand was harder to come by). I'm so happy to have them in my collection. They came in a beautiful blue velvet necklace box and opening them up I was so surprised, felt like royalty, haha. Definitely one thing I never knew I always needed!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Aerogarden. My daughter gave it to me as a Christmas gift a few years ago and I love that I can grow fresh herbs in the winter. This year I planted a few mini tomato plants in it and my first tomato is now almost ripe!
IMG_7108.jpg

almost harvest time!
IMG_7149.jpg
al s

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results