shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever lost a loose . . . .

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond or other stone? And, how did that turn out.

Cry.Cry.Cry.

I was taking clothes out of my son's closet to pull out some fall clothes. I literally threw them on the floor to sort thru them. I also kept, for years, two perfectly matched just under 1/2 carat OECs in box that opens and closes (like the kind of box a ring would come in, but larger) which was inside another box. They were meant to be earrings.

I kept this stuff in his closet because he never even uses his room, lol, and he's 3. They've been in there since before he was born.

So, I go thru the clothes, and notice a sparkly on the floor, under the clothes. But just one. The box either fell out of the closet when I took the clothes out, or one of my kiddos took it out. Oh, and the open and close box is gone. Just the black cardboard box was there, on the floor. Needless to say, the second OEC has not shown up. I still need to go through some of the clothes, that I had boxed up, to see if it might be mixed in, but I've been delaying, partly because I know it's not in there.

I know this sounds terrible and wasteful.

I actually lost my wedding rings a few years ago, posted about it here, and then found them like a year later. But, that I had tucked in a super safe place. This poor little OEC is probably in a vacuum bag. :(2

Stories of inspiration? Organizing tips?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t but a good friend lost the center stone of her engagement ring. I still can believe what we both did looking for it..... we found it. I still shudder when I think about that 2 hours we will never get back of our lives LOL

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Cry.Cry.Cry.

I was taking clothes out of my son's closet to pull out some fall clothes. I literally threw them on the floor to sort thru them. I also kept, for years, two perfectly matched just under 1/2 carat OECs in box that opens and closes (like the kind of box a ring would come in, but larger) which was inside another box. They were meant to be earrings.

I kept this stuff in his closet because he never even uses his room, lol, and he's 3. They've been in there since before he was born.

So, I go thru the clothes, and notice a sparkly on the floor, under the clothes. But just one. The box either fell out of the closet when I took the clothes out, or one of my kiddos took it out. Oh, and the open and close box is gone. Just the black cardboard box was there, on the floor. Needless to say, the second OEC has not shown up. I still need to go through some of the clothes, that I had boxed up, to see if it might be mixed in, but I've been delaying, partly because I know it's not in there.

I actually lost my wedding rings a few years ago, posted about it here, and then found them like a year later. But, that I had tucked in a super safe place. This poor little OEC is probably in a vacuum bag. :(2

Don’t give up looking! Things in your favor: it’s in your own home and this closet is seldom used, which means it’s likely it is in still there. I would go through the closet thoroughly.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go through the clothes and the pockets of the clothes. Look in your vacuum bag.

I lost a 2ct diamond out of its setting when I was pregnant and taking my daughter shopping. Impossible to say where it might be.

I strongly suggest you get a safe rather than leave things in hiding places. Of course I'm at the age where I'd forget where I hid them.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Put an old pair of tights (pantyhose?) Over the nozzle of the vacuum, anything it sucks up will stay stuck on the material and you can pick it off. I hope you find it!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely keep looking! It's got to be there somewhere!

My pear cut once fell out of it's first (& crap) setting. I had dropped the girls, who were babies at the time, to Nursery, come home, made coffee & then noticed.... empty setting. I almost threw up. After much flapping & tears, I phoned my sister who got me to start retracing my steps from when I put my ring on that morning. Eventually I found it - It was sitting in the back of my car in a little basket the girls kept between their car seats full of toys. I pulled out the toys one by one, still flapping on the phone to my sister, gave them a shake & examination. It was there, just sitting by itself twinkling in the bottom. I must have snagged the front v-tip claw leaning in to fasten the girls in & out it popped.

Don't give up!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I lost the diamond (1ct E H&A) out of my two week old engagement ring a long time ago. I didn't realize it until I glanced down at my hand when I was driving home from work - I'm sure my hair stood straight up!

It was insured through the store so I took the empty setting to them and they ordered a new diamond for me.

Then, the next day at work I recalled going through some files that were in boxes. So I emptied about 12 boxes of heavy files and found it at the bottom of a box.

Sadly it had a great big chunk of dark carbon that had been hidden by the setting. I never could unsee it so it eventually got traded in. (I did tell the store that I found my diamond and the manager looked at me like I was nuts and told me that I was the first person ever to admit to finding their diamond) I strongly believe in good jewelry karma though.

Anyway, good luck with your search. @Loves Vintage, your diamond is somewhere and I'm sure you're going to find it!!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost the diamond (1ct E H&A) out of my two week old engagement ring a long time ago. I didn't realize it until I glanced down at my hand when I was driving home from work - I'm sure my hair stood straight up!

This is a very apt description of how it feels to lose a center stone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in my early 20's I used to clean offices at night and yes I wore my jewelry all the time. Part of my job was sweeping a large warehouse. Well one night I got home to find my diamond had fallen out of my ring!

I looked for it and couldn't find it. So a few weeks later I was sweeping the warehouse floor again and there it was right in the middle of my path. Mind you I had cleaned that floor a half dozen times before and never found it until that night.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you everyone for these stories. I haven't really had time to do a new search again, but I am more hopeful now. I should have some time tomorrow morning. I will update when I find it hopefully.

Doberman - Yikes to losing the 2 carats!! Really sorry that happened to you.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost a beautiful and large red/purple spinel. I have a thread about it somewhere. I had it in a temporary ring holder and looked down and it was gone. I am not sure if it ended up in the garbage (at the bottom of the bag with the coffee grounds) or in the vacuum cleaner. Checked both but I am sure it ended up in one of them even though I did not spot it.

I had bought it from Tan (a great overseas colored gemstone vendor) right before most of his Ebay stores closed. The price on the stone was amazing. When I tried to replace the stone with a similar spinel other vendors were asking for 3K more than I paid.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back track everything you did that day. That’s what how we found my friends diamond, We emptied the garbage by the coffee maker and sifted thru it all. Went thru the garbage In the company restroom, we found it in a used sanitary product box in the restroom. We went thru 10 of those gross boxes before we found her diamond, but we found it!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awful. I hope it shows up. Using the flashlight with the lights off works pretty good. I lost a heart shaped garnet on a white floor; I never did find it. I also have a little crystal dish with assorted gemstones in it and spilled it all over the carpet. The flashlight worked the best to pick up a sparkle. Good luck!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7D5F2DEC-56E7-421A-925D-B8F06EE89E98.jpeg I’ll repeat my tale for you to have hope.
Photo is “scene of the crime”!
I had taken out a pair of diamond stud earrings 2 x .75 carats and put them on the bedside table. I forgot about them for a few days but when I went back only 1 earring was there.
I basically emptied the room, moved the bed, went through everything, vacuumed etc but it was gone.
A few days later walking down the side path to the recycling bin I saw my earring lying on the path.
OMG, my heart soared, but WHAT, wait, earring yes, but the diamond is missing! Heart plummets again. I look forlornly back up the path and I see a small glint. 5 meters closer to the back door, right on the very edge of the path and to my astonishment it is the diamond.
What must have happened is I knocked the earring off the bedside table and it had landed somehow on the top of my trainers. I had then “walked the earring out” until down on the side path before it fell off. I must have kicked or stood on the earring to knock the diamond out.
The next day we had torrential rain and if I hadn’t found it the day before it would have washed down to the drain.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost a nearly 2ct red spinel, right through the slats of the deck. I still cry about that one considering how much the darn things go for now!:cry2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ughhh I am so depressed on your behalf! I hope you find it!!! <3

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, after reading your post this morning I went to the gym. I finished swimming laps and instinctively put my hand up to my pendant as I climbed out of the water. My neck was bare! With this post fresh in my mind, I put my goggles back on and slowly retraced my swim..... found my necklace at the deep end of the pool!! What a relief!!!! Luckily, I am close to the jeweler where I purchased the necklace years ago. They replaced the clasp within minutes and at no charge! What a happy ending!
I sure do feel your pain.....Don’t give up hope, Your little OEC has to be somewhere waiting to be found!!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a stone from a lovely PSer and I can't find it, no where no how.. I decided that if it pops up I will have it set in a ring. I've probably lost more jewelry and have right now.. moving, kids etc. I hope your OEC turns up LV, mine was a green tourmaline 1ct.. not very expensive and I bought it from Mochiko, a super duper swell, nice woman. My husband says it will turn up. :( but I got to know Mochiko a bit so it was worth it :)

Cry.Cry.Cry.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, twice!

The first was my mum's imperial jade ring in a double diamond halo. The imperial jade centre stone was not very big, however, it was very clear and vibrant in colour.

However, it was claw-set, and during a drunken work function, one of the 4 claws caught something and was bent out of shape, resulting in the jade falling out.

I woke up at about 03:00 in the morning, saw what happened, went downstairs where the function was held, to try and find it. I even emptied the vacuum cleaner to see if it had picked it up. However, no luck, and it was gone forever.

My mum was very philosophical about it, something about jade taking a hit for the bad luck that was due to me, etc. etc...

I thought about replacing the jade, however, I sold the setting as I did not like the claws and the bad memory associated with it. The money I got went towards a piece of bling, and I have never had another ring made with prongs/claws for the centre stone. That was back in 1993!

The second time was to lose one of the round diamond side stones about 3mm of my 3-stone ring with a heart shaped Ruby. It was bezel-set, and just fell out of its setting, most likely to be at work, and I searched high and low for it, and the cleaning lady even emptied the vacuum cleaner and checked its content for me, again, no luck.

The stone was replaced at a cost of 400.00 GBP for a 3mm diamond and for the ring setting to be checked to minimise the risk of any further issues. That was about 10 years ago.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results