shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever fallen head over heels for something that's a complete departure from your usual style?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be jewelry, clothing, home renovations, or home decor. Something that you could realistically obtain / wear / have in your home (i.e. not something only attainable by royalty or the top 0.01%).

Pics are necessary! :bigsmile:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, with clothes. I did it fairly often when I was younger. Sorry, I don’t have pictures. This was before camera phones.

Also a mid 80’s hairstyle and the 100 cans of Aqua Net hairspray to go along with it for two years. I thought it looked great at the time.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane @Kim N.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I did a few years ago with curated ear piercing. At 54. Hmmm. Got quite a few lobe and cartilage piercings and then suddenly liked the simplicity of single piercings. Mid life crisis much?
Eye roll...

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Maaaaybe...? :rodent: A ring. But it has to arrive first before confirmation and pictures are provided.

Usually I prefer streamlined jewellery. Things that don't draw too much attention and that I can wear with both formal and casual outfits.

This ring is anything but. It's blingy. It has an inner and an outer halo (and I don't even like halos!), diamond melee of two different cuts, milgrain and far more finger coverage than I usually wear.

Honestly, I blame PS for this. I wasn't that kind of girl before y'all corrupted me. :mrgreen:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not head over heels, but wearing sneakers!!!! (no pun intended)

cheers--Sharon

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
All the time. ALL.THE.TIME.

That's what pinterest is for isn't it? ;-) I have such a wide variation of pins for hairstyles, home decor, landscaping, and of course jewelry. Lusting after intricate, blingy pieces of jewelry is fun online, but in my real life I'd feel way to over the top. (Said while wearing pajama bottoms with toucans on them while I WFH.)

Because pics make a thread much more fun, here are things I love but wouldn't wear simply because they wouldn't go with my uber-loungewear.

ddad21d213aa46b50ef7c6f26ab60e6d.jpg eec0dc5df3f37fe1870122468af6ffdf.jpg 987c6c939e91fb85f246c7daed7a15b2.jpg 40c44c066a6a1f0ce3ba785f92ae12dd.jpg 551c51ecacb849a84ecac4e73d939bda.jpg 01d94e324905549e4e5afa98b8d66909.jpg 8ed5a977d6cccad54d251104cea8ce2f.jpg 259630d350f2a892ccabffa872eb5bb5.jpg 189997a3be6b87a2418821e54214a78c.jpg 580be5c8728d0932e1ff1d7e27124ec3.jpg 82505e6a46d9ecd8b211d1d841677b81.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm normally all for lots of florals, color, and variety in my backyard, but occasionally I dream of just doing something like this. So peaceful and soothing.

japanese-dry-garden-sand-rocks-raked-daily-matador-flickr.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I usually all about comfortable clothes and shoes, no more than 2” and usually wedges, because I’m a tall Asian woman already at 5’7”. However, since I started watching the show “Suits”, I have been wearing stilettos and fitted tailored dresses one day a week to feel powerful in my “Jessica Pearson” wannabe wardrobe.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...but occasionally I dream of just doing something like this. So peaceful and soothing.

I just picture the dog running through that like wet cement...

Edit: I recently and inexplicably fell in love with a hand-knotted rug that has been in the remainder section of a downtown rug store for ~ 20 years (so they tell me) -- and the color combination supports this timeline. I can't stop thinking about it. We have no floor space for additional rugs! Spouse helpfully suggested that we could upgrade the one in our bedroom but it's not even the right size. I guess it's not a departure from the style of rugs we like -- but I honestly have not thought about rugs for a long, long time until I stumbled across this one.

And, yes -- seeing something in person or seeing it on your own finger or wrist (or earlobe...) can really cause a re-set in what you think you like! Decades ago, my wife asked me what type of watch I would want since we had a big anniversary in a few years. I said, I don't know; anything but a dive watch, I guess. Fast-forward: she surprised me with a dive watch (pretty sure she had no recollection of our conversation). And I just loved it and have worn it every day since -- it's indestructible -- and it has seen countless family adventures and most of the big oceans.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this ring in another thread last month, but it fits the topic here perfectly.

I saw this ring in a pawn shop. Totally not my style.
I went back to the car, thought about it for 10 minutes. Googled the maker, and went back in to purchase it. (Tufa cast sterling silver by Gary Custer, Navajo)
I adore it now, and wear it all the time.
Screenshot_20230912-075451~2.png

IMG_20230803_193540755.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I posted this ring in another thread last month, but it fits the topic here perfectly.

I went back to the car, thought about it for 10 minutes. Googled the maker, and went back in to purchase it. (Tufa cast sterling silver by Gary Custer, Navajo)
Screenshot_20230912-075451~2.png

IMG_20230803_193540755.jpg

I love all your jewelry. This ring is fabulous. Have you identified the turquoise? (Now I must look up Gary Custer!)

EDIT - I just looked up Gary Custer. Wow, what an amazing artist. I will be delving into more of his work later. I love the ring!

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all your jewelry. This ring is fabulous. Have you identified the turquoise? (Now I must look up Gary Custer!)

EDIT - I just looked up Gary Custer. Wow, what an amazing artist. I will be delving into more of his work later. I love the ring!

When I realized who the maker was, I felt it would be foolish to pass this ring up.

No, I have not identified the turquoise.
Maybe Kingman, as it is very popular with Native artists.

I'm glad you like it, too!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, with clothes. I did it fairly often when I was younger. Sorry, I don’t have pictures. This was before camera phones.

Also a mid 80’s hairstyle and the 100 cans of Aqua Net hairspray to go along with it for two years. I thought it looked great at the time.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane @Kim N.

I was like that with clothing too when I was younger. There were some questionable outfits for sure. :lol:

I did a few years ago with curated ear piercing. At 54. Hmmm. Got quite a few lobe and cartilage piercings and then suddenly liked the simplicity of single piercings. Mid life crisis much?
Eye roll...

They look awesome on you, though! And you might change your mind again and go back to them.

Maaaaybe...? :rodent: A ring. But it has to arrive first before confirmation and pictures are provided.

Usually I prefer streamlined jewellery. Things that don't draw too much attention and that I can wear with both formal and casual outfits.

This ring is anything but. It's blingy. It has an inner and an outer halo (and I don't even like halos!), diamond melee of two different cuts, milgrain and far more finger coverage than I usually wear.

Honestly, I blame PS for this. I wasn't that kind of girl before y'all corrupted me. :mrgreen:

Oh, please share photos once it arrives!

HI:

Not head over heels, but wearing sneakers!!!! (no pun intended)

cheers--Sharon

I live in sneakers! It's all about the comfort, isn't it?

All the time. ALL.THE.TIME.

That's what pinterest is for isn't it? ;-) I have such a wide variation of pins for hairstyles, home decor, landscaping, and of course jewelry. Lusting after intricate, blingy pieces of jewelry is fun online, but in my real life I'd feel way to over the top. (Said while wearing pajama bottoms with toucans on them while I WFH.)

Because pics make a thread much more fun, here are things I love but wouldn't wear simply because they wouldn't go with my uber-loungewear.

I love how geometric and architectural these pieces are. That first one actually looks remarkably wearable.

I usually all about comfortable clothes and shoes, no more than 2” and usually wedges, because I’m a tall Asian woman already at 5’7”. However, since I started watching the show “Suits”, I have been wearing stilettos and fitted tailored dresses one day a week to feel powerful in my “Jessica Pearson” wannabe wardrobe.

Oh, I love that look, and if I could wear stilettos without pain, I would. I bet you look like a million bucks!

I just picture the dog running through that like wet cement...

Edit: I recently and inexplicably fell in love with a hand-knotted rug that has been in the remainder section of a downtown rug store for ~ 20 years (so they tell me) -- and the color combination supports this timeline. I can't stop thinking about it. We have no floor space for additional rugs! Spouse helpfully suggested that we could upgrade the one in our bedroom but it's not even the right size. I guess it's not a departure from the style of rugs we like -- but I honestly have not thought about rugs for a long, long time until I stumbled across this one.

And, yes -- seeing something in person or seeing it on your own finger or wrist (or earlobe...) can really cause a re-set in what you think you like! Decades ago, my wife asked me what type of watch I would want since we had a big anniversary in a few years. I said, I don't know; anything but a dive watch, I guess. Fast-forward: she surprised me with a dive watch (pretty sure she had no recollection of our conversation). And I just loved it and have worn it every day since -- it's indestructible -- and it has seen countless family adventures and most of the big oceans.

I'll be another enabler: get the rug! You can't stop thinking about it. And that's a terrific story about the dive watch.

You always find the most interesting pieces, stracci2000! The turquoise is gorgeous.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does my DH count? :mrgreen: He really wasn’t my type at all, and here we are 45 years later:lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm normally all for lots of florals, color, and variety in my backyard, but occasionally I dream of just doing something like this. So peaceful and soothing.

japanese-dry-garden-sand-rocks-raked-daily-matador-flickr.jpg

This! Well, not exactly this, because we have dogs, but it's gorgeous, and yes to peaceful simplicity!

I've always tended to prefer simple, uncluttered/unfussy, modern interiors - not that I'm able to maintain one, like, at all - but for landscaping, I was always drawn to lush, full, English garden-style landscapes with tons of different colors, dimensions, and textures, and as little empty space as possible in beds and bordering the house. I've been trying, little by little, to implement that on our property in recent years, and, well......it's really haaaaarrrrd........

I don't know nearly enough about plants. Our local climate is changing and erratic compared to what we're used to here, and it's throwing even more veteran local gardeners off track. Plants don't behave the way they're supposed to based on online write-ups. Everything needs different amounts of water, different soil conditions, etc. Our soil in general kind of sucks. Some beds get totally different amounts of sun earlier in the growing season compared to later. So many pests. So many diseases. So many hungry rabbits and chipmunks, and I'm too much of an animal lover to harm them (although I wasn't above, in a moment of frustration, puffing myself up large, stomping towards them, and loudly growling "I'm scary!! Be afraaaaaiiiid!!" much to my neighbors' amusement).

And it's so much work. And I'm not that good at it - my thumb's not brown, but it's definitely green with brown spots and lots of bug nibble-holes. And I'm finding that I don't really enjoy it all that much. I mean, a little deadheading and watering is OK as an excuse to be outside, but that's about it. So, now when I'm out running or walking dogs and look at others' landscapes, while the full ones are still lovely, I increasingly feel drawn to the simple set-ups - a few evergreen shrubs, nicely kept, a few hostas, a few ornamental grasses, and maybe one patch of annual flowers and a couple pots with some more for a couple dashes of color, and THAT'S IT, at max, and surrounded by smooth pea gravel in the beds. It feels so peaceful and calm to my brain. Now to get hubby on board, which isn't going so well so far.

I've had a bit of a change-up with rings, too. My other jewelry tastes have always run to the simple and understated as far as what I wear, even if I admire more ornate pieces as works of art that I wouldn't wear, and ring tastes were the same - simple, streamlined, understated, with modern-cut stones (based on the the assumption that surely more modern cuts must be the best, right?) and only in 14k yellow. I couldn't understand the fuss folks made over antique cut stones, at all. Then, going through old stuff my parents had kept from their parents, I came across my paternal grandmother's engagement ring wrapped in a facial tissue in a tiny box stuffed in the back of a moldy, rusty jewelry box choked full of rusty costume jewelry. I was tickled, but also thought it was a bit ugly and not my taste, at all. It's 19k unplated white gold in an incredibly fine filigree vintage setting, set with a for-real transitional cut diamond, at about 1/3ct and around I color, I'm guessing. I figured I'd sell it if my niece wasn't interested in it as a family heirloom, but in the meantime, I would occasionally pop it on my right hand.

Well, I certainly came to understand what all the fuss was about with antique-cut stones. Oh, my - the chunky, colorful flashes! I was hooked. And before long, I came to love the setting, too, and now, I wouldn't part with that little ring for anything, and it's opened up a whole new world for me that's included an AVR diamond and an antique cushion moissy that I adore as well, and an eye for vintage settings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. My dh

:)

oh wait NM sorry. You mean ”things”

:lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1987.jpeg

What can I say?

IMG_1978.jpeg

Yes, that is my hand. And placemat. In my dining room.

Unfortunately, this poor little octopus spends most of her time in my safe.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1987.jpeg

What can I say?

IMG_1978.jpeg

Wow, I love it!!!
I adore all things octopus!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! Well, not exactly this, because we have dogs, but it's gorgeous, and yes to peaceful simplicity!

I've always tended to prefer simple, uncluttered/unfussy, modern interiors - not that I'm able to maintain one, like, at all - but for landscaping, I was always drawn to lush, full, English garden-style landscapes with tons of different colors, dimensions, and textures, and as little empty space as possible in beds and bordering the house. I've been trying, little by little, to implement that on our property in recent years, and, well......it's really haaaaarrrrd........

I don't know nearly enough about plants. Our local climate is changing and erratic compared to what we're used to here, and it's throwing even more veteran local gardeners off track. Plants don't behave the way they're supposed to based on online write-ups. Everything needs different amounts of water, different soil conditions, etc. Our soil in general kind of sucks. Some beds get totally different amounts of sun earlier in the growing season compared to later. So many pests. So many diseases. So many hungry rabbits and chipmunks, and I'm too much of an animal lover to harm them (although I wasn't above, in a moment of frustration, puffing myself up large, stomping towards them, and loudly growling "I'm scary!! Be afraaaaaiiiid!!" much to my neighbors' amusement).

And it's so much work. And I'm not that good at it - my thumb's not brown, but it's definitely green with brown spots and lots of bug nibble-holes. And I'm finding that I don't really enjoy it all that much. I mean, a little deadheading and watering is OK as an excuse to be outside, but that's about it. So, now when I'm out running or walking dogs and look at others' landscapes, while the full ones are still lovely, I increasingly feel drawn to the simple set-ups - a few evergreen shrubs, nicely kept, a few hostas, a few ornamental grasses, and maybe one patch of annual flowers and a couple pots with some more for a couple dashes of color, and THAT'S IT, at max, and surrounded by smooth pea gravel in the beds. It feels so peaceful and calm to my brain. Now to get hubby on board, which isn't going so well so far.

I've had a bit of a change-up with rings, too. My other jewelry tastes have always run to the simple and understated as far as what I wear, even if I admire more ornate pieces as works of art that I wouldn't wear, and ring tastes were the same - simple, streamlined, understated, with modern-cut stones (based on the the assumption that surely more modern cuts must be the best, right?) and only in 14k yellow. I couldn't understand the fuss folks made over antique cut stones, at all. Then, going through old stuff my parents had kept from their parents, I came across my paternal grandmother's engagement ring wrapped in a facial tissue in a tiny box stuffed in the back of a moldy, rusty jewelry box choked full of rusty costume jewelry. I was tickled, but also thought it was a bit ugly and not my taste, at all. It's 19k unplated white gold in an incredibly fine filigree vintage setting, set with a for-real transitional cut diamond, at about 1/3ct and around I color, I'm guessing. I figured I'd sell it if my niece wasn't interested in it as a family heirloom, but in the meantime, I would occasionally pop it on my right hand.

Well, I certainly came to understand what all the fuss was about with antique-cut stones. Oh, my - the chunky, colorful flashes! I was hooked. And before long, I came to love the setting, too, and now, I wouldn't part with that little ring for anything, and it's opened up a whole new world for me that's included an AVR diamond and an antique cushion moissy that I adore as well, and an eye for vintage settings.

I share so many of your gardening woes! :lol: to the "green with brown spots and lots of bug nibble-holes"! It is far too much work, and the bunnies and chipmunks are cute but so destructive.

What a lovely story about your grandmother's engagement ring. :love:

my obsession of Whitby jet
i just do not normally do black at all

I recently discovered a love of black stones, so I completely relate to this, Daisys and Diamonds!

Yes. My dh

:)

oh wait NM sorry. You mean ”things”

:lol:

You're not alone, missy! See Austina and jaysonsmom's posts above. :bigsmile:

IMG_1987.jpeg

What can I say?

IMG_1978.jpeg

Oh, she is gorgeous. :love: She looks wonderful on your hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results