shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever bought jewellery from a tv special?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I was just watching a gemstone sale programme on some cable channel and I wondered if anyone's ever bought jewellery from something like that.

I think it must be some kind of a scam. At some point they were selling a tennis bracelet with 94 G SI1 princess cut diamonds, set in 9K white gold, for £1199 even though at the beginning they set it was worth over £7500k. How does that work?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. What is the return policy??

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure. They have a website, though: www.gems.tv

I forgot to mention that the total carat weight on the bracelet was 3.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I'd never buy anything from TV show special.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I've bought costume jewelry from a shopping channel but never anything real. I'd be hesitant about it being a scam as well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I never watch those channels. Try to click past them as quickly as possible.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I sometimes watch those channels for comic relief. :) Some if it is honestly just so funny.

I might consider buying some costume jewelry from one of those home shopping channels, but never any of their diamond or gemstone pieces.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I may have once called into one of those programs at 4 in the morning to tell them that what they were calling "sunstone" was actually better known as "cherry opal." Shockingly, we were disconnected.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1308176895|2946956 said:
I may have once called into one of those programs at 4 in the morning to tell them that what they were calling "sunstone" was actually better known as "cherry opal." Shockingly, we were disconnected.

:lol: :lol: That's awesome!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased from some of the jewelry channels - before I discovered PS, of course. The gemstone pieces I got were generally so-so. I also got a fair amount of "plain" 14k, made in Italy jewelry at reasonable prices, much of which I still use regularly. A few of the gold pieces were too trendy to continue using, or are no longer my style, so one of these days I'll just sell the gold (at a profit). I looked for some gold hoops recently and found that there's very little 14k being sold right now - I guess the prices would be higher than what they think their customers would pay.

These stations are definitely "buyer beware" though, and you're more likely to end up wasting your time and/or money than getting a nice piece at a fair price. You're right to be skeptical.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did.
I got all this for $69.99 IIRC.

Sure, it's all junk but it's fun to loupe and learn.
The experts on Colored Stone forum had fun identifying them.
Of course nothing is graded and some may be synthetic, treated etc.
No biggie.

Some day I want to learn how to make jewelry, and these guys will be great to practice chipping while setting. :devil:

A few are really cool up close.

Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 9.38.33 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 9.35.49 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 9.34.54 PM.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice starter collection, Kenny!

What is IIRC? Ot am I better off not knowing?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry.
IIRC, if I recall correctly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results