shape
carat
color
clarity

Have the typical question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whatupdog?

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am new to the diamond world. I have been looking/researching for about a month now and I am ready to buy the diamond I want. I think that because of the available information online, it has made me be too picky with what I am looking for. I have found a diamond at the price I want, but I am hesitating to pull the trigger on it. I guess one should not rush a decision like this one, especially when you are buying something online that you cannot see in person. I am looking for a .75 princess cut diamond for an engagement ring and came across this one at the top of my price range:

Cut: Excellent
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 73%
Table: 71%
Girdle: Med to Thick
Polish and Symmetry: Both Excellent
Flor: None

Again, I think finding out so much about diamonds has probably made me too picky about every aspect of the diamond. My question about this one is: Should I not buy this diamond because of it''s girdle? Most people say to get slightly thin, medium, slightly thick or one with two steps between these. Thick is above that range and it is also between 3 steps, so should I not buy this diamond because it is Medium to Thick? Anything else wrong with it? Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 2:51:02 AM
Author:whatupdog?
Hello everyone. I am new to the diamond world. I have been looking/researching for about a month now and I am ready to buy the diamond I want. I think that because of the available information online, it has made me be too picky with what I am looking for. I have found a diamond at the price I want, but I am hesitating to pull the trigger on it. I guess one should not rush a decision like this one, especially when you are buying something online that you cannot see in person. I am looking for a .75 princess cut diamond for an engagement ring and came across this one at the top of my price range:

Cut: Excellent
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 73%
Table: 71%
Girdle: Med to Thick
Polish and Symmetry: Both Excellent
Flor: None

Again, I think finding out so much about diamonds has probably made me too picky about every aspect of the diamond. My question about this one is: Should I not buy this diamond because of it's girdle? Most people say to get slightly thin, medium, slightly thick or one with two steps between these. Thick is above that range and it is also between 3 steps, so should I not buy this diamond because it is Medium to Thick? Anything else wrong with it? Thank you.
Welcome!

Personally I evaluate the whole diamond, I don't write one off necessarily just because of one measurement - if it was thin to very thick or similar then maybe - but sometimes a very thick part for example only affects a tiny portion of the girdle for example and is not an issue so an expert vendor can be of help here., But what I would do now is to ask for an ASET image of the diamond and some detailed photographs, that will give a lot more info. Numbers can only tell you so much with these shapes so photos and other images are essential.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Don''t know what your budget is and what quality you are looking for but if you went down in color to and E you could get something like this from a vendor who supplies ASET images and photos.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5574/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice one Swingie!
emthup.gif

whatupdog?

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. Since neither of you said that the girdle was ok and I should buy it, I am assuming then that I need to find a diamond that does not have that girdle. I will keep looking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:04:01 AM
Author: whatupdog?
Thanks for the responses. Since neither of you said that the girdle was ok and I should buy it, I am assuming then that I need to find a diamond that does not have that girdle. I will keep looking.
I forgot to mention, can you post the diameter of the diamond in MM? This is essential info. And can you get any images of the stone? I wouldn't rule it out all together if you can get images, if you ask the vendor if the diamond is online then they might be able to supply them.

It depends on what you want, if you want a Princess of the highest cut quality then I would suggest you look at some AGS0 cut grade Princess or GIA graded which have been hand selected by a trusted vendor with in house diamonds.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just depends. I wouldn''t write off a princess with a thick girdle if everything else was good and the price was right.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The girdle isn''t necessarily the issue; it''s that we can''t tell you a whole lot from numbers alone, unlike round diamonds. I would only buy a princess from a vendor that supplied pics and refractor images like ASET/Idealscope.

Here is a good looking E, a tad smallish, and here''s an F that''s a tad larger. Infinity has a few that might work...how about this E/SI1? But honestly, you could go way lower in color and still have a beautifully white diamond as long as it''s cut well.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
I think at that size you are safe with anything E - I in colour and would have a beautiful stone. You have to decide which is most important, personally I would be more concerned with the colour and no less than SI.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results