shape
carat
color
clarity

Hate my ring and could use an opinion or two.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alidoula

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

In March, I purchased an engagement ring setting straight out of the case at a well-known and respected jeweler here in St. Louis, Missouri. I purchased an engagement ring from them in March. It was straight out of the case and they sized it for me after setting the center diamond in it. (We had purchased the center stone elsewhere.)

I had expressed my hesitation about the setting, as I feared the width of the setting might eclipse the center stone, even though it was a 1.78 ct. center stone. They reassured me they had set stones as small as .75 in the center, and their clients were very pleased. They sized it at the same time they set the stone.

When I received it a week or so later, I disliked it almost immediately. For one, the setting DID eclipse the ring. It diminished the center stone, which is exactly what I didn''t want. Plus, on the underside of the ring, the platinum was a little wavy, like it wasn''t well-finished off. Not to mention the tiny little black marks in the inside of the platinum. And the visible line that showed where it had been sized.

Now, in their defense, they have a policy (which they were happy to report after the fact) that there are no returns or exchanged on special orders or sized rings. So I guess I took my chances. They did offer to buff the underside of the ring, but implied that I may have lied about the ring because I was unhappy. I would never do such a thing.

What they should have done was set the center stone and made sure I liked it before sizing it. When I went back to them and told them, "I really don''t like this" they got very snotty. Informed me there was nothing to be done.

I didn''t want a refund. All I wanted was an exchange. Something. I would have even exchanged for something less than what I originally got. I just wanted to be HAPPY. They refused to do ANYTHING to help me out.

I''ve gone to other jewelers to make sure I wasn''t being crazy or hysterical. I tried not to trash the jeweler, and in fact, refused to give their name because I wanted to be fair. All of them said they would have worked with an unhappy customer, for sure. That the cost of me wearing a ring I hated and trashing their reputation around town wasn''t worth the cost of all the lost business. As one jeweler said to me, "The mark of a fine jeweler is not what happens when things go right .... it''s what happens when things go wrong."

While they stuck by their policy, I''m left with a ring I dislike, displaying a bit of shoddy workmanship, and a bad taste in my mouth for this jeweler.

In the end, they''re the ones who will lose out. No store should be so inflexible that a client who doled out $4300 for a setting should get kicked to the curb. (I have a feeling I got screwed on the price of the setting, but that was my own stupidity and no one else''s. Didn''t know about PS until after.
1.gif
) I will write them a strong letter and will also be sure to post on as many bridal bulletin boards as I can about these guys. My fiance suggested standing in front of their store, on public property, warning people about the policies they have, and explaining my story. It''s guerilla consumer activism, but I''m sure it would take an hours'' worth of lost business before I got what I wanted.
1.gif
1.gif

I can understand their view to a certain point. For sure. (Although when I called them back a week after I got the ring, their own customer service manager claimed she didn''t even know what the policy was if someone was unsatisfied.) It''s not like it was some mall store which often lives to rip people off.

Am I crazy? Any suggestions? It''s ok to be honest, guys. I''m just bummed about wearing a ring I really don''t like at all. Many of the jewelers who I went to said, "Yep, you got screwed, girl. Sorry."

-Alison

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Yes, you definitely got screwed! If something was going to be done about this, it would have had to be done back around the time when you purchased it. Two or three months after the fact, there's not much you can do.

If you're dead set on some sort of recourse, I would try the picketing thing (if you have time). I'd also make a statement about their shoddy work to the BBB. Also, maybe if you spoke with a lawyer they could convince the jeweler to try to remedy the situation in some way. However, there's no guarantee you'll be able to get any positive results.

Are you wearing the ring now? If you hate it so much that you don't wear it, maybe you could get a simple Tiffany setting until you are ready to buy a new permanent setting.

alidoula

Rough_Rock
Well, I did try and go to them at the time. Although they said they would have buffed the bottom of the ring, they were still unwilling to address the fundamental issue, which was my unhappiness with the ring. So I felt, for awhile, like the world's biggest idiot and that I should just keep quiet.

If anyone reading this is from St. Louis, I will be happy to e-mail you with the name of this jeweler so that you can make sure you're treated well if things go wrong. Or, as I've heard before, payback's a b*tch.
1.gif

Alison

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This does depend on how the setting looks like, but maybe another jeweler can help modify the ring.

Is there a picture of this setting anywhere online ?

alidoula

Rough_Rock
I would LOVE to post a could of pictures, especially ones on my hand, but I've had a heck of a time taking photos with my digital camera. I've asked before about whether there's an FAQ about this very subject, but no one answered. The flash keep bouncing off the rock and blurring the shot.

Any suggestions? What's worked for people in the past? Any help would be much appreciated, and that way, I could get peoples' opinions about the proportions of the center stone to the setting.

Thanks in advance,
Alison

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm totally clueless about digital cameras and I had that problem too until I figured out how to put the camera on the micro setting. You may want to try to put the ring in the ring box or on something stationary so that you can prop the camera up and get a shot without motion in it. I found that trying to hold up one hand to photograph and hold the camera in the other very difficult.

Best of luck, I'd love to see a picture of the ring.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
That's too bad about your ring. Shame. The quote, "The mark of a fine jeweler is not what happens when things go right .... it's what happens when things go wrong," is so true not just of jewelry, but for any business.

As far as picture taking... Many cameras have a macro setting. Usually identified by a little flower icon. This will help to clear up your photos to about 12 inches away from the lens. Sometimes that's still not close enough.

If you have a 10x loupe, you can hold that right up to the camera lens. This worked great for me. If you don't have a loupe, guess what?... a good old grade school magnifying glass works the same as well. Zoom in on the ring, then move the magnifying glass back and forth until in focus.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the pictures.

exquisitei

Rough_Rock
I am a new user. For the lady with the setting she does not like and the store that did not advise about their return policy until after the fact. That is just so typical, I would take the advise of another member and go with a classy tiffany setting. I believe this style shows off a diamond like no other and try to sell your existing one. I have a question, how do I go about selling a mount I presently own (besides ebay)? to a private individual? Thanks.

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
As for taking pictures with your digital camera, try taking them without the flash. Make sure the room is well-lit and take the pictures. The macro setting helps too with closeups.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Did you happen to charge the purchase on a credit card?? If you did, check with the credit card company about their dispute proceedures. Even tho some time has passed, you may still have a case.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results