shape
carat
color
clarity

Hate Austin Beggars! And now the kids???

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I love Austin, but I hate how they allow beggars begging everywhere! I mean EVERY decent size street by the stop lights! (you know what I'm talking about if you even been to here).
And now I think people are used to the idea of getting free money? Just passed 2 high school kids begging for money by the street to fund for school game trip! I mean what happened to baking sales, car wash and all that stuff that you do to raise money for your service trip or whatever?? This is making me sick....

yesterday passed a young man in the 20th, very healthy and strong looking begging by the street while smoking............

last month saw someone gave the beggar two bags of peanuts and the guy took it, walked few cars down, opened the package and dumped them all out so clearly his sign saying "Anything will help" is basically saying "cash only since I need the money to buy drugs"!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you think it's bad in Austin...try Berkeley, CA

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1312380571|2983062 said:
"cash only since I need the money to buy drugs"!

There was a similar thread yesterday in which I said I'd prefer them to have that type of sign vs try to be deceptive. I respect honesty! I hear you when you say "what happened to the bake sale, care wash, etc." A lot of people want something for nothing! I realize that statement has turned me into my parents.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just passed 2 high school kids begging for money by the street to fund for school game trip!

This has been going on for years in Miami. The kids are selling candy and claiming the proceeds go towards funding school programs or trips.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
mary poppins|1312408886|2983460 said:
Just passed 2 high school kids begging for money by the street to fund for school game trip!

This has been going on for years in Miami. The kids are selling candy and claiming the proceeds go towards funding school programs or trips.

I also wonder about these sales that kids do. I've seen 2 types...guys with these manila envelopes, asking money for something for their school football team, and then kids who carry around huge tubs of candy. They go door to door, and the proceeds go to some youth thing. I hope these are legitimate organizations!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1312409802|2983470 said:
mary poppins|1312408886|2983460 said:

I also wonder about these sales that kids do. I've seen 2 types...guys with these manila envelopes, asking money for something for their school football team, and then kids who carry around huge tubs of candy. They go door to door, and the proceeds go to some youth thing. I hope these are legitimate organizations!
Most of the time they are legit but the money isn't going to where you think. They can pocket a lot and give the organization only a tiny fraction just to make it legal. We've had these teens come around as say they are collecting for some trip somewhere for their school group or sports team. But when you ask them where they attend school they can't give the name of a local high school. And if you ask them when is the trip, how much do they have to collect, etc. it all falls apart. Usually they are paid by the hour (or commission) to collect money for their employer who drops them off in the morning in a decent neighborhood where suckers are known to give money to solicitors. There is not trip or team or school.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
wow, I didn't realize kids were selling things to "fund" the trip... those ones I saw just straight up begging with signs and a jar for the money...sigh..
I just don't want kids think it's ok to do that just because you see people do it everyday by the stop lights... :blackeye:

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Hey a fellow Austinite! *waves*

Most of the "Drag Rats" (that's what we call the folks who hang around one our main streets) are harmless and leave you, but there have been a few who are freaking aggressive. There's one guy on MLK and Guad who pretends to be blind, asks for money to catch a cab and tries to go after you with his cane if you ignore him. He's been arrested by cops numerous time and yet manages to pop back out on the street again. I have no idea how that happens.

I've also had a homeless guy follow me for a couple of blocks after I got off of a bus because I refused to give him change.

These days, I just say "I carry plastic"

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
briolette|1312486230|2984233 said:
Hey a fellow Austinite! *waves*

Most of the "Drag Rats" (that's what we call the folks who hang around one our main streets) are harmless and leave you, but there have been a few who are freaking aggressive. There's one guy on MLK and Guad who pretends to be blind, asks for money to catch a cab and tries to go after you with his cane if you ignore him. He's been arrested by cops numerous time and yet manages to pop back out on the street again. I have no idea how that happens.

I've also had a homeless guy follow me for a couple of blocks after I got off of a bus because I refused to give him change.

These days, I just say "I carry plastic"

yay~ you are the first Austinite I've met here! :love: and for sure I need to keep an eye out for those aggressive ones. I almost wanted to give the middle finger to the guy who dumped the peanuts out or say something mean about it but was afraid he may key my car or something... :blackeye:

Re: The school fundraisers...

My brother played baseball all through jr high and high school. They had spring ball and fall ball.. and EVERY SINGLE YEAR they made the kids sell these $20 cards that could get you money off around town. The cards actually paid for themselves.. the bad part though is that each kid had to sell X number of cards or the parents would have to pay the rest (basically buy each card that was left for $20 a piece).. ugh.

This year there was a B1G1 free dairy queen coupon.. unlimited uses until May 2012... :oops: it has already paid for itself... I think there was a 5 cents off gas as well (unlimited).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austin Beggers has a nice ring to it.
A film star of a film could have that name.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1312517332|2984594 said:

I'm willing to sell that title to you in exchange of your collection of FCDs~ :bigsmile:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes we are totally on the same wavelength, Kenny. I read the title and kept thinking thiis must be about some TV star in the UK or Australia.

charbie|1312544102|2984711 said:
Sometimes we are totally on the same wavelength, Kenny. I read the title and kept thinking thiis must be about some TV star in the UK or Australia.

I admit, I thought the same thing too...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austin Beggers will be opening for Willie Nelson Saturday August 6th at the Grand Ole Opry.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
when do i get tickets?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jewelerman|1312565235|2984893 said:
when do i get tickets?

ARE YOU BEGGING?

mom.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results