shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your significant other given you a really tacky present? If so please make me feel better!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @YadaYadaYada Maybe the force of the blow dryer could harm them..I wouldn’t want that to happen..:shifty:

I would use the low setting if I was going to use this method.

However your brush idea is a good one, just use a soft natural bristle brush to gently knock the dust off. A feather duster might also work. Do they even make those anymore? Haven’t seen one in years.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would use the low setting if I was going to use this method.

However your brush idea is a good one, just use a soft natural bristle brush to gently knock the dust off. A feather duster might also work. Do they even make those anymore? Haven’t seen one in years.

I use the swifter hand held dusters..That should work!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I once received a racquetball racquet for Christmas, I have never played nor had I shown any interest in playing, lol

@autumngems This made me laugh! Maybe he wanted you to play racquetball with him!
When we got married my husband bought me a sewing machine for my wedding present. I went into a big long discussion about what he expected of me after we got married..lol It would have been a great present if I showed any interest in sewing...but I didn’t.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have loved a sewing machine as a wedding present @MamaBee, I got nothing :lol:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems This made me laugh! Maybe he wanted you to okay racquetball with him!
When we got married my husband bought me a sewing machine for my wedding present. I went into a big long discussion about what he expected of me after we got married..lol It would have been a great present if I showed any interest in sewing...but I didn’t.

You would have laughed if you had seen my face when I opened it, o_O

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
That is a lovely note and so sweet that you framed it.
DH got me this tank top for my Bday a couple years back. He still asks why I don’t wear it. It’s as colorful as your roses :)
B4A5B15A-2E96-4FAC-95C2-C1FD4D27D192.jpeg

This thread is soooo funny! And I mean this is in the nicest way! I actually burst out laughing at the tank top!!!

My darlin' hubby, for our tenth anniversary, gave me (drum roll, please) a bug tent. :oops2: Yup. A big ole 8x8' bug tent. I was flabbergasted. He's practical but that was beyond the pale. LOL! I promptly ordered two lovely, small diamond eternity bands to sandwich my e-ring and called it a day. :bigsmile:

ETA: He has held off other such "thoughtful" gifts ever since. We have an agreement: I do not give him car parts; he does not give me jewelry.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
A very sweet sentiment given in a gift that will last. These must have been advertised as a good idea to husbands, my brother bought them for my sister-in-law last anniversary.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is soooo funny! And I mean this is in the nicest way! I actually burst out laughing at the tank top!!!

My darlin' hubby, for our tenth anniversary, gave me (drum roll, please) a bug tent. :oops2: Yup. A big ole 8x8' bug tent. I was flabbergasted. He's practical but that was beyond the pale. LOL! I promptly ordered two lovely, small diamond eternity bands to sandwich my e-ring and called it a day. :bigsmile:

ETA: He has held off other such "thoughtful" gifts ever since. We have an agreement: I do not give him car parts; he does not give me jewelry.

OMG! A bug tent!! That beats my flowers!! Haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A very sweet sentiment given in a gift that will last. These must have been advertised as a good idea to husbands, my brother bought them for my sister-in-law last anniversary.

Yes @luckygreen317 He listens to a sports radio station. My son told me he heard them advertised.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
They are advertised on Howard Stern show every year. I don’t know how I missed this but this thread was amazing. Thanks for the giggles! Definitely the thought that counts! I’m not sure if I feel better or worse that I got no Christmas gift this year. Lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are advertised on Howard Stern show every year. I don’t know how I missed this but this thread was amazing. Thanks for the giggles! Definitely the thought that counts! I’m not sure if I feel better or worse that I got no Christmas gift this year. Lol.

I’m sorry you didn’t get a present for Christmas. TBH I would rather not get a present than get these flowers. :sick:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For once, I am happy to not know about everything in the universe. "Bug tent" ??? :confused::bigsmile::lol-2:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the chuckle! My husband has bought some crap gifts over the years. He knows that all gifts must be "personables" and not "dustables" but still screws up. I do not want a freaking gumball machine, I do not wear horizontal stripes, when I asked for a ruby necklace I meant a real one, and just because I like dogs doesn't mean I want every novel ever written about dogs. :wall:

I buy my own gifts now and we are both very happy.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
For once, I am happy to not know about everything in the universe. "Bug tent" ??? :confused::bigsmile::lol-2:

LOL! We lived in an area where there were plenty of mosquitoes, so the "bug tent" was a tent made out of bug-proof screen withvertical zippers on the sides. You could sit in and enjoy a meal or an outdoor visit without being cannibalized by the bugs. :bigsmile: I detest mosquitoes/bugs. Still a bug tent for a 10-year anni was kind of over-the-top... :lol:

ETA: A lovelier name is a "camp gazebo", as the one below is called.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.15.51 PM.png

Back on topic!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL! We lived in an area where there were plenty of mosquitoes, so the "bug tent" was a tent made out of bug-proof screen withvertical zippers on the sides. You could sit in and enjoy a meal or an outdoor visit without being cannibalized by the bugs. :bigsmile: I detest mosquitoes/bugs. Still a bug tent for a 10-year anni was kind of over-the-top... :lol:

ETA: A lovelier name is a "camp gazebo", as the one below is called.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.15.51 PM.png

Back on topic!

I would love one of these! The 17 year cicada bugs are coming soon..I’m terrified. If I have to sit outside..I want to be in a bug tent!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the chuckle! My husband has bought some crap gifts over the years. He knows that all gifts must be "personables" and not "dustables" but still screws up. I do not want a freaking gumball machine, I do not wear horizontal stripes, when I asked for a ruby necklace I meant a real one, and just because I like dogs doesn't mean I want every novel ever written about dogs. :wall:

I buy my own gifts now and we are both very happy.

My husband was always okay with picking out my own gifts. I don’t know what happened! He needs a reboot!

lucky7355

Rough_Rock
I thought it was standard to get iffy Mother’s Day gifts?

They actually look nice in t he photos, but totally get that they would never be something you would pick out for yourself.

We usually get my mom food she misses - like a $100 order from a deli in NYC with her favorites. Can’t go wrong with edible stuff from tried and true favorites.

This year I was pleasantly surprised with how nice my Rose Box NYC order turned out. They were one of the cheaper companies that offer preserved flowers that last over a year and they had some packages that weren’t ugly hat boxes with the company brand stamped all over it. B579BEBC-3F99-4C78-A867-F5C77272A12E.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw that on the news
A trillion cicadas headed your way
its going to be so noisy!

I’m so terrified of them! I once had one fly into my hair. It got stuck. This happened over thirty years ago but I was traumatized by it. It made an awful sound. They’re huge! I’m going to stay home during their invasion. I have to walk my dog but it will be the fastest run to the grass to do his business. They last about six weeks.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my last birthday he decided that he wanted to combine fruit bats, which I just happen to think are adorable, and precious metal, because, y’know, sparkly...

... And he actually managed to do so - in shockingly accurate and rather spectacular fashion:

D07F1E46-D91D-4C8D-95C4-7A4A99236EF7.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t seem to have a photo of the actual coin (which is hand sized and very heavy, and also comes with its own unique display case) on my phone, and it’s at the other house...

He was so proud of it, and... Baffled when I didn’t immediately understand what I was looking at. I’m giggling just thinking about it. There was also a Tiffany Etoile bracelet surprise, which I adore, and when I wear it I make sure to tell him how much I loved the coin too. Sharing all the points for effort with your darling DH @MamaBee :bigsmile:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not tacky, but well, let's say it threw me when he gave it to me.

We were dating and we were in the first year of our relationship IIRC and Greg gave me a pocketbook for a gift. It was a very lovely stylish pocketbook but I had never received a pocketbook from a guy before and it threw me for a loop LOL.

I contacted my girlfriend Paulette and asked her what the heck did she think was going on and she checked out the bag and pronounced it a wonderful tasteful (and expensive LOL) gift.
But it was (IMO) a weird gift for a guy to get his girlfriend.

Let's just say his gifts have improved over the decades but I will admit his taste is always impeccable. I still have that pocketbook and love it and appreciate it so much more now. Quality lasts and it has held up quite well. Just like our relationship. Improving with time. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so terrified of them! I once had one fly into my hair. It got stuck. This happened over thirty years ago but I was traumatized by it. It made an awful sound. They’re huge! I’m going to stay home during their invasion. I have to walk my dog but it will be the fastest run to the grass to do his business. They last about six weeks.

I have been concerned about this too. You and I share a similar fear of creepy crawly things. I have had bugs fly into my hair before. It's the risk we take cycling outside for so many hours. And it is not a fun experience. I cannot even imagine what a trillion cicadas would look like. :errrr:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I know they don’t like sandy soil
so maybe you won’t see them near you.
I’m so scared.

Aww (((((hugs))))). Don’t be scared. Remember you’re bigger and stronger than they are. Believe me I get it. But keep reminding yourself you are smarter and bigger than they are. And ultimately they cannot hurt you. ((((Hugs)))).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results