shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your decision to do business with a vendor

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone has the right to post on their own page whatever they want. If they feel strongly about abortion it's their right. You don't have to be friends with them. If they didn't mention it on the vendor page then what does it really have to do with their business? I'm sure all of us have something personal others wouldn't like about us in real life. I'm not gonna cast the first stone. No, it wouldn't affect my business relationship.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to add here quickly that the topic that was discussed regarding the PS FB page wasn't bashing a client-it was asking for clarification on if they handled it the correct way-given their upfront policies. It was the same discussion that was on the RT thread-and since there aren't any rules on the PS FB page this person thought it would be okay to ask many of the well versed PSers their feelings on the matter if he had handled it improperly or not. I personally think it's a bit unfair to make it sound like they were talking smack about a client-which truly wasn't the case-although some of the other people weren't nearly as respectful in their comments/replies as the vendor was-but he just wanted to make sure he wasn't doing anything wrong in the eyes of PSers opinions that he trusts IN A PLACE HE COULD GET THAT FEEDBACK. Now it's a double edged sword and there is a back lash of people who won't use said vendor because he was asking for feedback when no one on the thread told him "you know I think this is inappropriate for you to ask us this" and then it's brought to PS light-which DOES affect business-as it can be shown by this thread.

In the model (a clay model of a viable baby-not an aborted one) wasn't meant to hurt/harm anyone (and I'm sorry for those who have lost as well-this coming from someone who recently found out she is about 6 weeks pregnant and please-don't post on my FB wall since most people aren't aware yet and we aren't announcing it just yet). That is his personal FB page and this isn't the first time he's posted how he feels on the subject-and many people could have chosen to un-friend him at that point (which is their personal choice)-and quite frankly I've seen NASTIER pictures by other people (such as a very large woman-naked-backwards-to make it appear like a turkey until you realize it's their butt and va-jay jay comes to mind and people LOL to it and quite frankly that was much more disturbing to me or another comes to mind is military/service men posting pictures of marines disrespecting the dead-since they somehow think their dead aren't as "human" as our own :nono: which btw I disagree greatly with but I won't go there).

One more thing-there is another vendor that has started a thread on the PS FB group which no one has mentioned either. That one came across as gloating and not only did they get told in RT-but PSers also told them how they felt on that board too. So something needs to be done for these poor vendors. They are under the impression they can be open and honest and get respectful feedback but then they get the backlash-even if they do it in what they feel is a respectful manner. I don't think it should be both ways-they either are allowed to say things openly and share and not expect it to show up on PS and have people change their minds about them do to their own personal sharing (and if it does perhaps send them a PM expressing your opinion of it so they are made aware that it might change peoples opinions of them and affect their future business and then they can decide for themselves and you can decide for yourself if you'll do business with them in the future) OR they aren't and shouldn't even be apart of the group since they are a vendor and I'm not sure what they would post? I guess what I'm asking is for a solution for the vendors who have tried to bridge that client/friendship/relationship gap since it seems like they are in-between a rock and a hard spot.

I'm not judging anyone here-I love all of you and everyone is unique. Everyone has their right to feel this way but I know for a fact that this said vendor doesn't take his personal beliefs into account when getting to know people (meaning judging them for their choices or life style) nor does it let it affect the level and quality of service he provides. In fact I believe this personal beliefs are the reason he provides the level and quality of service that he does provide that so many people appreicate since an honest vendor is hard to find (at least off the boards).

I wasn't even going to post in this thread but decided I would. I really don't mean to upset people with my view points and due to being pregnant my emotions are very sensitive right about now-so I would appreicate it if you would reply without the famous PS pile on (and if I don't make since I am also forgetting things-such as my cell phone number-so it's quite possible I've left out entire words and tried to explain myself and failed miserably due to the pregnancy as well :sick:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
VL, I think my solution is fairly simple - don't try to bridge the gap. There is a very defined relationship between a vendor and a client, and trying to push more onto that relationship than is really there is when I see businesses getting into trouble. It can happen, but it takes a long time to build a relationship that is based on more than a financial transaction. There are a lot of people I have working relationships with that I do not have social relationships with. Trying to mix the two is trouble, and (IMO) takes years to do well. We don't really know each other on PS or on FB - the friends I've made on PS are friends that I have met on here and then taken time to communicate with them over a long period of time. Only then do I really consider them friendships. A vendor may have a few transactions with a client, but to use that as a basis to bridge the gap between client and friend is presumptuous and can lead to situations that do not reflect on the vendor in a positive light.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not FB friends with any vendors so I did not experience said event however I will share my opinion. I am pro-choice and have friends who are both pro-choice and pro-life (though most of my friends are pro choice). In fact, I have friends whose viewpoints I do not share on a variety of issues. This does not prevent me from being friends with them. The only time I find different viewpoints objectionable is when people try to shove them down my throat. However, if you are one of those people who can agree to disagree that's great.

I do find it very objectionable that the government tries to dictate certain personal (none of their damn business) issues to us and I also find it objectionable to be preached to by people. If that is what said vendor was doing shame on him.

What I really dislike about certain people who are pro-life is not that they personally believe abortion is wrong for them (that's their personal belief and their private business) but that they think it's OK for them to tell me what I can and cannot do. Live your life the way you see fit and leave me to live mine.

I don't get the difference b/w a personal fb page where one has friended clients and a business fb page so perhaps this vendor (if he feels like venting/sharing viewpoints on volatile topics) should get himself a genuine personal fb page that are only seen by his "true" friends. That would be a much wiser way to go. Being a professional and running a business simply does not mix well with personal. Keep the 2 separate.

Just want to congratulate you Vintage- good luck and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there is a PS FB page (and I can't find it so I assume it's invitation only) and what was discussed there by a vendor re: a client issue was outed here? That's creepy but we have a history of witch hunts here so I'm not surprised.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintage made a lot of good points.....so good that i have to say that rather than post here regarding the incident perhaps the better part of valor would have been to simply do the de-friend thing and move on. it seems the vendor does have two separate "books", one personal and one business. no one is forced to participate on either. the decision to participate on the personal account was a personal decision. the vendor had a right to be as personal as he wanted on his personal book. had it been his business book, well, i'd say shame on him. perhaps pricescopers need to evaluate their "cozy" relationship with vendors and take responsibility for their own decisions? i see this as another learning lesson within the pricescope community.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1328893452|3123253 said:
vintage made a lot of good points.....so good that i have to say that rather than post here regarding the incident perhaps the better part of valor would have been to simply do the de-friend thing and move on. it seems the vendor does have two separate "books", one personal and one business. no one is forced to participate on either. the decision to participate on the personal account was a personal decision. the vendor had a right to be as personal as he wanted on his personal book. had it been his business book, well, i'd say shame on him. perhaps pricescopers need to evaluate their "cozy" relationship with vendors and take responsibility for their own decisions? i see this as another learning lesson within the pricescope community.

I agree MZ. And personally I think this seemed like another way to flay the vendor. PSers certainly have gone witch hunting before.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
MZ, I do tend to agree with you, but I think we should keep in mind that 95% of the time, it is the vendor who reaches out with a friend request, not the client. So the vendor has invited someone whom he or she probably doesn't know very well to share that "personal" space, based on a potential or existing business relationship. It has happened to me numerous times, and I have declined because I don't want to let the vendor into my own personal space...but given the adulation some vendors receive here, I can see how a person might be flattered that one of the "jewelry rockstars" wants to be friends and not really think about something like this coming out of it. So I do put the onus on jewelers who have actively solicited FB friends from their personal pages to either think long and hard about what they post, or be prepared for the consequences.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata said:
So there is a PS FB page (and I can't find it so I assume it's invitation only) and what was discussed there by a vendor re: a client issue was outed here? That's creepy but we have a history of witch hunts here so I'm not surprised.

There was no "outting" if I recall correctly. What happened is a customer wasn't happy with something and it was stated in the policy (and in fact-a thread prior to the purchase) what the policy was (not by the vendor-by a PSer) and then the vendor was called out since they weren't happy with something (which they have every right to be-it's all personal again). Since said vendor is an honest vendor and deals fairly with everyone he just asked if he handled it correctly (given policies) or if he should have handled it differently. To say that least everyone said that if it was stated in policy and that this person knew it was policy-that he handled it fine. However a few people did state he could have handled it differently just to appease the customer and to keep the peace (which had it already not been done and over with I think it would have happened). He didn't out anyone-just merely asked if something was clearly stated in policy and they knew the policy if he should have handled it differently. Then of course-since everyone is very familiar with the boards in that group-everyone knew what was being talked about and so that's how the "outted" happened (I believe please don't call me 100% on this-my memory is horrid and as I stated earlier-I have been forgetting things as simple as my cell phone number).

And he isn't the only vendor in that group. In fact-no one had any issues with that post (at least no until it came to light on here-which they have every right to feel that way but that's neither here nor there) but there was another vendor who did get into it with the group for another comparison and some felt it was another way of patting himself on the back for a job well done-and that didn't go over to well to say the least.

Just an FYI I don't participate in any of these discussions on the board. I rarely post on there anymore due to a disagreement that happened although I do still lurk since there are many of my PS friends on there and many sparkiles on there and all in all-I have the option to post if I chose to. I wouldn't even have posted in this thread but I felt more information should be disclosed so it was more fair to the vendor at hand.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1328895185|3123280 said:
Matata said:

There was no "outting" if I recall correctly. What happened is a customer wasn't happy with something and it was stated in the policy (and in fact-a thread prior to the purchase) what the policy was (not by the vendor-by a PSer) and then the vendor was called out since they weren't happy with something (which they have every right to be-it's all personal again). Since said vendor is an honest vendor and deals fairly with everyone he just asked if he handled it correctly (given policies) or if he should have handled it differently. To say that least everyone said that if it was stated in policy and that this person knew it was policy-that he handled it fine. However a few people did state he could have handled it differently just to appease the customer and to keep the peace (which had it already not been done and over with I think it would have happened). He didn't out anyone-just merely asked if something was clearly stated in policy and they knew the policy if he should have handled it differently. Then of course-since everyone is very familiar with the boards in that group-everyone knew what was being talked about and so that's how the "outted" happened (I believe please don't call me 100% on this-my memory is horrid and as I stated earlier-I have been forgetting things as simple as my cell phone number).

And he isn't the only vendor in that group. In fact-no one had any issues with that post (at least no until it came to light on here-which they have every right to feel that way but that's neither here nor there) but there was another vendor who did get into it with the group for another comparison and some felt it was another way of patting himself on the back for a job well done-and that didn't go over to well to say the least.

Just an FYI I don't participate in any of these discussions on the board. I rarely post on there anymore due to a disagreement that happened although I do still lurk since there are many of my PS friends on there and many sparkiles on there and all in all-I have the option to post if I chose to. I wouldn't even have posted in this thread but I felt more information should be disclosed so it was more fair to the vendor at hand.

You know, I've always said it, but IMHO offline groups of a forum just makes things murky when the two start to cross lines. We who are not in the group obviously have no idea, then get partial stories when people run over here to see if they can be validated here. IMHO, if you want to talk over there about the goings on over there, then keep it OVER THERE.

The rest of us opted not to go over there for a reason!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to stay out of the moral discussion going on here as I have no personal or first hand experience with this vendor or the event, but as a public service announcement to any vendors who may be reading:

Facebook has recently changed the options to handle this sort of thing if you choose to use the Lists function.

I help in the management/running of a small business and have helped with many over the years; I recently attended a seminar on social media and it has truly become of land mine in social media for business, especially the small family type varieties, for all the very salient issues raised in this thread. But, Facebook is trying to keep up with it and they have introduced the Lists- you can place friends of your personal page into groups and determine which groups see which updates and information. So any vendor can personally friend clients, place them into their business list and manage what information and posts they have access to. It's more work, but it seems to me to be a nice solution for those who wish to get to know their vendors on a more personal level and vendrs who do not wish to turn clients or potential clients away from that relationship without having to completely censor their personal page.

Just FYI- this discussion is somthing I take very much to heart as a business manager, hope this information can help others, too!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="TravelingGal|1328895419|3123285.......You know, I've always said it, but IMHO offline groups of a forum just makes things murky when the two start to cross lines. We who are not in the group obviously have no idea, then get partial stories when people run over here to see if they can be validated here. IMHO, if you want to talk over there about the goings on over there, then keep it OVER THERE.
The rest of us opted not to go over there for a reason!
![/quote]

well stated.

Octavia, i see your point. however, just because one is invited does not mean one has to attend...... and if one attends an event and is affronted, one excuses oneself from the event with either a truthful or manufactured excuse to the host. posting here w/o first discussing the matter with the vendor first now seems to me to be discourteous to the host and attendees both at the FB page and here as well.

the tendency with FB is, i think, for people to think themselves popular when invited to a FB page, especially a personal one....not really the vendor's problem, is it? i don't mean to negate the awful experience some had as a result. but when anyone participates on FB there is the risk of seeing and/or reading something that is not going to sit well with the viewer/reader.

i do not know who the vendor is. i am pro-choice. i would like to think that if i had accepted a FB invite from this vendor and was then confronted with what was described that i would have posted my objection and my stance in response and then left the group permenantly w/o bringing it here. would i do business with the vendor? don't know.....i do not do business with many places due to my opposition to where they put their $ politically. a lot would depend on my prior experience with the vendor.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal:
At first when the group was started (the very very first group I wasn't really involved in) I didn't understand why people *wouldn't* want to be apart of it. And I will admit-I've developed great friendships off the boards because of that group. However I now understand why many people have opted out of joining the group (which has a good number of members-well over 100 at this point). Although I will say that there is a lot of good that comes from the group-you build a different level of trust (warranted or not) but the fact of the matter still remains-it's the internet. FB or PS people can portray themselves however they want and I have always tried to be an open and honest book and I feel that some people aren't as fourth coming (which they have their own right to do) and just feel that PS is a bit safer for myself since it gives me that level of protection from those who I might not think are being as honest as I am choosing to be-for their own reasons-be it as it may.

I will say there are quite a few ladies on here that I wish I was friends with on my FB but from personal experience I found that just bc I get along with someone on PS doesn't mean that will transfer over to FB. In fact my opinion of some posters has changed (be it positive or negative doesn't matter) and has influenced the way that I interact with many PSers due to it. It's been a growing experience and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see both sides of the coin-be it good or bad :)

But yes-the murky mess shows up time after time on the board and it will continue I'm sure. But I do believe there is an official PS FB page now isn't there? And since many PSers "like" vendor pages people have been able to find people that way too-so the safety net that PS used to have isn't nearly as safe as it used to be-unless of course you abstain all together from liking any vendor page-=and since they do sparkling give aways who wants to do that :loopy:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1328890931|3123219 said:
I think everyone has the right to post on their own page whatever they want. If they feel strongly about abortion it's their right. You don't have to be friends with them. If they didn't mention it on the vendor page then what does it really have to do with their business? I'm sure all of us have something personal others wouldn't like about us in real life. I'm not gonna cast the first stone. No, it wouldn't affect my business relationship.
Agreed.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1328897155|3123309 said:
TGal:
At first when the group was started (the very very first group I wasn't really involved in) I didn't understand why people *wouldn't* want to be apart of it. And I will admit-I've developed great friendships off the boards because of that group. However I now understand why many people have opted out of joining the group (which has a good number of members-well over 100 at this point). Although I will say that there is a lot of good that comes from the group-you build a different level of trust (warranted or not) but the fact of the matter still remains-it's the internet. FB or PS people can portray themselves however they want and I have always tried to be an open and honest book and I feel that some people aren't as fourth coming (which they have their own right to do) and just feel that PS is a bit safer for myself since it gives me that level of protection from those who I might not think are being as honest as I am choosing to be-for their own reasons-be it as it may.

I will say there are quite a few ladies on here that I wish I was friends with on my FB but from personal experience I found that just bc I get along with someone on PS doesn't mean that will transfer over to FB. In fact my opinion of some posters has changed (be it positive or negative doesn't matter) and has influenced the way that I interact with many PSers due to it. It's been a growing experience and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see both sides of the coin-be it good or bad :)

But yes-the murky mess shows up time after time on the board and it will continue I'm sure. But I do believe there is an official PS FB page now isn't there? And since many PSers "like" vendor pages people have been able to find people that way too-so the safety net that PS used to have isn't nearly as safe as it used to be-unless of course you abstain all together from liking any vendor page-=and since they do sparkling give aways who wants to do that :loopy:

VL, I have no idea about what's official and what's not. I'm part of a PS Mom offline group. I'm not saying offline groups are bad. I'm saying when the two cross over and drama in one group plays out back here, it just makes things murky. The group I'm in doesn't talk about what goes on over there over here, and amazingly there has been no drama. Mothers are boring, I guess. ::)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THERE'S A PS MOM GROUP!?!?!? :love: :o :appl:

I'm boring too and don't like drama and am going to need all the help I can get with my first. I'm off to go search!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1328897992|3123326 said:
THERE'S A PS MOM GROUP!?!?!? :love: :o :appl:

I'm boring too and don't like drama and am going to need all the help I can get with my first. I'm off to go search!

No, not officially, sorry. It's a few of the moms that were preggo the same time as me I was that hooked up offline as our kids got older and we didn't want to post the pics of our kids here. You won't find an "official" PS Moms group. :))

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I didn't see the picture in question. I think as someone who's strongly pro-choice, it might have been offensive to me. However, the key is that it was posted on this individual's PERSONAL Facebook page, not his professional page. I think there's a big difference, and anyone is free to post whatever they want on their personal page. The professional page should be about diamonds, not politics...but that's apparently not where this picture was posted.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1328868249|3123051 said:
I think I know who the vendor is, though I'm guessing, because I've only seen one vendor on here talk about his relationship with God - and I could be tarring him unfairly because of it.

But it ABSOLUTELY affects my decision to never to business with him, because I didn't even see the damned pic, and I am shaking with rage, here.

A) Posting propaganda on a professional page is unprofessional.

B) Most abortions? Would show roughly what one might find on a menstrual pad. Most abortions are performed in the first trimester. The gruesome graphic pictures the antis use, which show fetuses with limbs? Those are pretty much always somebody's tragedy - a stillbirth, or the termination of a very-much-wanted child for medical reasons. It's exploitative, dishonest, gross, and - and this is a word I scoff at because of its overuse - triggering. I lost a pregnancy in the second trimester, and coming across something like that unexpectedly from a source I trusted I could look at would be deeply jarring. Oh, hai, expecting a diamond? Decomposing baby! Yours probably looked like that!

Words actually can't describe how offended I am right now.

That's just it--it wasn't on a professional page though. On one's personal page, it's expected that one will post his/her opinions.

ETA: Whoops, I see this has been covered.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think vendors need to think twice before making certain posts on networking sites, even if it's their personal acccount. It's business sense to try and not alienate anyone (and once you add clients to your personal FB page, you gotta think THREE times before posting strongly opinionated statments).

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1328899860|3123352 said:
I do think vendors need to think twice before making certain posts on networking sites, even if it's their personal acccount. It's business sense to try and not alienate anyone (and once you add clients to your personal FB page, you gotta think THREE times before posting strongly opinionated statments).

Absolutely.

It's akin to the lecture you get when you move into a management position; you are still representing the company when you are off the clock, and you have to conduct yourself appropriately when you are in public in the event that someone recognizes you, etc etc.

Whether or not it's fair or just has no bearing on the reality that things are that way and we just have to accommodate that. It's also why I am not permitted to accept friend requests from employees and why I take pains never to post anything offensive on my FB page as I do have some colleagues on there.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Isn't this whole issue rather old. Don't we all know people who have views opposite our own. I don't think this is a political issue as much as its a religious point of view. I know Catholics still opposed to divorce. This has been going on since Roe vs Wade with numerous photos shown. A church up the road from me had small headstones in a graveyard setting placed in the frontage of the church. It was gross, but it was their right.

This person is a good vendor. Even I could figure out who it is Of course I would use him if I were looking to buy. I.m surprised the group was so offended. Let him know and he may or may not remove the picture. I really want to say more, but would cause a firestorm. I am pro choice, but can tolerate others opinions, even on their own f/b page

Annette

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1328902555|3123395 said:
MC|1328899860|3123352 said:

Absolutely.

It's akin to the lecture you get when you move into a management position; you are still representing the company when you are off the clock, and you have to conduct yourself appropriately when you are in public in the event that someone recognizes you, etc etc.

Whether or not it's fair or just has no bearing on the reality that things are that way and we just have to accommodate that. It's also why I am not permitted to accept friend requests from employees and why I take pains never to post anything offensive on my FB page as I do have some colleagues on there.

People just need to be flat out careful. Even if they're not friends with a person, they need to remember they may make a comment on a wall and non-friends will see it. For example, in the school setting, teachers should be careful about posting about their students on other teachers walls because some of us parents are friends with certain teachers and don't like to see faculty posting comments that directly impact MY kid!

So, yes, not a good idea to not take friend requests from employees, but then also you gotta watch out for friends you have who may be friends with your employees! lol

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Happily, I'm not privvy to the behind the scenes details on this, so I don't know the backstory........and truly don't want to, either.

It seems like so many people these days think that social media gives them a license to abandon common sense that they should otherwise exercise in a business setting.

When I was growing up, one of the most repeated messages was "there's a time and place for everything" and that hasn't changed. I'd rather do business with people who are smart enough to understand that nuance. This is the same common sense that says don't get plastered drunk at the company holiday party; don't wear a string bikini to a company BBQ; don't wear your rave/clubbing attire when going out on client visits; the workplace isn't where you run around braless; etc. etc.

On the issue of soliciting opinions from a wide audience (all of whom are potential buyers) about one's policies, I personally think it's a bad idea for any business for several reasons. If you're a savvy business person, you should seek counsel from vetted groups. When it's done to a wide group, it cannot avoid the feeling of looking like an attempt to rally support (especially in the instance of posting on FB about a parallel situ. occurring on PS).

As an overall, I distrust vendors who think they'll earn my allegiance by sharing personal gossip about other clients as a way to make me feel part of the 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge intimate' customer group. Guess what? If they'll tell you about someone else, they'll talk smack about YOU to others, too. All that says to me is, "I can't trust you, and I can't respect you."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To the original topic... in fact I think often about the gray area that can occur when a vendor or a business decides to participate in social media or any type of online community based venue, PS included. Vendors often say, we are people too, and yes that is sooo true, and everyone is human, fallible, makes mistakes, bad judgement calls, whatever. But I think if you are a vendor or a business...you should really keep your business and personal lives as separate as possible *IF* you don't want one rubbing off on the other in either a good or bad way. This includes groups you may be included in, or comments you write/make, pictures you post etc. If you truly don't care about how you are perceived or how your business is perceived, then by all means, do whatever you want. But I often think it's interesting seeing vendors post things that I think are questionable, whether it's funny slang sayings or calling someone else a beyotch or whatever in jest because that line between running a business and letting your own quirky personality shine through is sooooo very thin in some cases.

Would I let something I see on FB or other venues affect how I feel about someone or if I do business with them? Yes definitely, it's happened on PS and it would happen on any other venue. Sometimes your working personalities are not the same on the project but also your overall personality may not be meshing either yanno.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The recent hoopla over facebook's IPO highlighted the fact that fb is only eight years old.

EIGHT YEARS OLD! During that short time, facebook has totally changed how many people interact or keep in touch with others, not to mention re-defining the concept of "friend" to be virtually unrecognizable, and blurring the lines between casual or business acquaintances and one's close friends and confidants.

As to the original question - there are some beliefs that might cause me to choose not to do business with a particular vendor, but I assume that any business person knows they face the risk of losing some customers if they espouse a potentially controversial position. However, there are also a lot of causes that don't rise to that level for me. I don't know if that comes from growing up in an era when political boycotts were common - you had to learn to pick your battles so you could eat :wink2: - of from the fact that many of my views are totally opposite those of most of the rest of my family!

And - I agree with T-gal about keeping the fb drama on fb.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1328909862|3123499 said:
To the original topic... in fact I think often about the gray area that can occur when a vendor or a business decides to participate in social media or any type of online community based venue, PS included. Vendors often say, we are people too, and yes that is sooo true, and everyone is human, fallible, makes mistakes, bad judgement calls, whatever. But I think if you are a vendor or a business...you should really keep your business and personal lives as separate as possible *IF* you don't want one rubbing off on the other in either a good or bad way. This includes groups you may be included in, or comments you write/make, pictures you post etc. If you truly don't care about how you are perceived or how your business is perceived, then by all means, do whatever you want. But I often think it's interesting seeing vendors post things that I think are questionable, whether it's funny slang sayings or calling someone else a beyotch or whatever in jest because that line between running a business and letting your own quirky personality shine through is sooooo very thin in some cases.

Would I let something I see on FB or other venues affect how I feel about someone or if I do business with them? Yes definitely, it's happened on PS and it would happen on any other venue. Sometimes your working personalities are not the same on the project but also your overall personality may not be meshing either yanno.

The thing is there are a hell of a lot of vendors out there. Numerous jewelery sellers/designers/etc., and none of them seem to have a problem keeping their personal opinions off their websites, so nobody should be able to use the excuse of "being human" as a reason to go out of their way to post controversial comments or take private business matters and make them conversation for everyone to get involved in. I think some need to rethink how they're doing business. And, yes, nobody wants quirk when spending $20K on a diamond.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I think the owner of any company/business has every right to post whatever they want on their personal and/or professional page. Their idealogies play huge roles in how they live their life, conduct their business and invest their money. However, they should also be ready to accept any support or backlash from their clients and potential clients.

I will not do business with many companies because of their public support (in form of statements, dontations or endorsement) of topics/politicians/idealogies. Take for example Chik-Fil-A, I will never eat there. I will however, continue to shop at Macy's and JC Penneys and drink/eat at Starbucks for their continued support of equality for the LGBT community.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1328918006|3123618 said:
I think the owner of any company/business has every right to post whatever they want on their personal and/or professional page. Their idealogies play huge roles in how they live their life, conduct their business and invest their money. However, they should also be ready to accept any support or backlash from their clients and potential clients.

I will not do business with many companies because of their public support (in form of statements, dontations or endorsement) of topics/politicians/idealogies. Take for example Chik-Fil-A, I will never eat there. I will however, continue to shop at Macy's and JC Penneys and drink/eat at Starbucks for their continued support of equality for the LGBT community.

having been all over the map on this one, this states my sentiments exactly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1328892723|3123241 said:
yup,that's where PSers do their gossipping... :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results