shape
carat
color
clarity

has this economy change your vacation plans for 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
must Americans go on vacation evey year?

lunch time!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
As of right now no, our plans haven''t changed.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We changed our plans last year. We had intended to go to France for our 10-year anniversary, but instead went to the San Juan Islands (in Washington St.).

This year, we''re only planning to go to Las Vegas for a mini-break. I don''t want to spend a lot of money on anything right now.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
DF is this your way of telling me that you can''t have us over for the summer vacation
29.gif

Recession smachession

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. We are planning a trip to Ireland soon.
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We are definitely scaling back this year, so as to be more cautious (in case my DH gets laid off) and save money.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were going to take another Rick Steves Tour to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland but may put it off in case we get another lay off.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Nope, we''re still going to Mexico in a couple weeks (free airline tickets and great hotel deal!) and to Italy on our honeymoon. Unless really bad things happen (knock on wood that they don''t), we''re definitely not changing our honeymoon plans.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Not so far, but we''ve never been really extravagant on trips except for our honeymoon. We live in Orlando, so we will do Disney, but the only thing we will pay for is park admission. Then hubby''s friend has a condo at the beach that he is going to let us stay at for free anytime and hubby got so many miles/hotel points from traveling that we are going to pick someplace to go for basically free. So we are still going places, but doing it fairly inexpensively.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
The economy? No.

Lifestyle change? Yes.

We''ll likely take a couple of long weekends away to semi-local places, but any big vacations are OUT until we''ve saved money for the house.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we hoped to go to Europe, but instead have just gone on small road trips around CA.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
We''re going to San Francisco and Carmel in April over spring break. I bought the airline tickets last August. If I hadn''t already purchased them, we might not have gone there. It''s expensive for the four of us to travel. But since the tickets are only good for a year, I figured I might as well use them.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Not so far.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
We just got back from 10 days on Virgin Gorda.

Hubby has laid off 50 people from his small company over the last couple of months.

He usually travel to tons of wonderful places throughout the year for business and I get to go with him.

He will cut his business travel way back this year so there will definitely not be as many trips.

So far we will be going to New York City, Washington, DC, Naples, FL and South Carolina.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Actually my DH and I have had to put our vacation plans on hold because everyone keeps getting married! It is a great thing and really exciting... but man, I''d much rather spend the $$$ on out of country vacas than flying to the midwest USA...
14.gif

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
We're not changing our plans one bit. Actually every time FI and I talk, more and more vacation trips are added to our list. We just came back from Paris on the 16th, we're headed to Phuket in a few weeks and have plans to travel extensively throughout Europe and the UK this summer.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:57:10 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
36.gif
Be prepared to pay through the nose. It is expensive here.

But you could come and stay with me. Well...once I have finished building our house. How does 2020 suit?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 5:23:26 PM
Author: Steel

Date: 2/20/2009 2:57:10 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
36.gif
Be prepared to pay through the nose. It is expensive here.

But you could come and stay with me. Well...once I have finished building our house. How does 2020 suit?
Lol . . . maybe we''ll come back around a second time in 2020! How are the plans coming? I think you asked about the radiators a while back, right?

We are pretty good at traveling on the cheap. We are happy to rent rooms in houses out in the country somewhere. I''d really love to stay at a farm!! I couldn''t convince hubby to do that on our honeymoon, but maybe now? And, airfare is so inexpensive from JFK!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 4:32:40 PM
Author: Mrs.Guz
We just got back from 10 days on Virgin Gorda.

Hubby has laid off 50 people from his small company over the last couple of months.

He usually travel to tons of wonderful places throughout the year for business and I get to go with him.

He will cut his business travel way back this year so there will definitely not be as many trips.

So far we will be going to New York City, Washington, DC, Naples, FL and South Carolina.
Ahh, I remember the days hubby traveled like that and I tagged along. But now that we have to pay for travel ourselves, we don''t!
Actually, we were planning 2 back to back Medt. cruises, but we are putting those off. We are older, early 50''s and semi retired, so we are
protecting what''s left of our retirement portfolio.
8.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Nope! We just got back from 9 days in Paris
36.gif
(photos anyone? hehe).

However, I should also say that this is the first year that I finally have a job post 8 years of school, so it feels like a lot more money to us. So we''re spending more, since we have a lot more. But I am also an obsessive saver; we save nearly my entire salary!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a vacation, lol, sorry, we only go on a vacation about every 8-10 years
15.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 6:54:02 PM
Author: icekid
Nope! We just got back from 9 days in Paris
36.gif
(photos anyone? hehe).

However, I should also say that this is the first year that I finally have a job post 8 years of school, so it feels like a lot more money to us. So we''re spending more, since we have a lot more. But I am also an obsessive saver; we save nearly my entire salary!
No change to our plans. We leave for Paris tomorrow! icekid, any recommendations? It''s DH, our son and me for a week of sightseeing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 2:54:14 PM
Author: MC
We changed our plans last year. We had intended to go to France for our 10-year anniversary, but instead went to the San Juan Islands (in Washington St.).

This year, we''re only planning to go to Las Vegas for a mini-break. I don''t want to spend a lot of money on anything right now.
Las Vegas was my most expensive vacation ever.
39.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
yes -
and even though FF (E)''s parents are paying for the plan tickets over $700 and most of the cost of the sailboat rental....
I am getting a second job to make sure my bills are paid down, and i have extra cash to spend and that we''re not screwed for rent when we come back.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Not sure yet. It has made me think enough to start a whole thread on it. Me and my BF were planning a trip to Italy in June, now we are not so sure we should go.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Nope. We went to a resort in Mexico last year that we LOVED. DH really, really wanted to go again. I wanted to, but wasn''t sure if it would be feasible. I was laid off from a long held job right before we went last year and was working contract. Well, I got a new job, in health care no less, so I feel stable enough. Then I checked the price and it was nearly $300 less per person than last year. So we booked again. And talked friends into joining us. We are super excited!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Not so far. We leave for a vacation to Egypt in less than a month!

We are tentatively booked for Jamaica in the late fall, but if the economy continues to spiral, that trip may get cancelled.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We''d been saving for another trip to Mexico (I *need* a warm vacay in the week after Xmas before the semester starts up again!) but a friend of mine is getting married halfway across the country this summer after a short engagement, I''m a BM, and I can''t help it, but I''m a little bummed that suddenly all our vacay savings are pretty much eaten up.

We didn''t take a vacation this year - bought a house instead. And yes DF, this American needs a vacation every year - my family took 3 total when I was growing up, so I figure I''m making up for a lot of lost time! I''d much rather pay for travel than "stuff."

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I''m already a road warrior for work. The company just tried to convince me to spend 6 months in Italy and 6 in Japan and I begged off. Sheesh, I haven''t even unpacked stuff I''ve boxed up from the last assignment
20.gif

My idea of a vacation is to stay in my condo by the ocean, turn off the cell phone and alarm clock, and walk the dog on the beach.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES. Not going away as much this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results