shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone sold scrap gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
After calling a bunch of pawn shops, I found two places that will pay $8.00 per gram for 14K gold.

I don''t have a lot of stuff, but do have some old items laying around and thought I could sell them and use the $ for something I would actually wear.

Is a pawn shop the best place to go? I''m a bit worried that the scale could be rigged to say the gold weighs less than it does (so I''d have to go to a few shops to double check their numbers).

Any thoughts on this?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
We actually just did that this past weekend. We went to a jeweler/coin shop in town that my jeweler recommended.

We had 8.16 grams of 14K white gold. It was my husband''s old wedding band [it was a 3mm comfort fit; 7 grams] and my old engagement setting [1.16 grams]. We got $156! :)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler takes in scrap...I gave my DH my 10k high school class ring and a paper thin hollowed out wg and tanz (the tanzanite was heartshaped, light purple, included/cloudy, and teensy) and my jeweler gave my DH almost $100 off my OEC ring.

The scrap estimates they give for cash are a LOT lower (I think they''d said $25 for my class ring previously), but VERY good if you''re putting it toward a purchase in-store. I would assume that''s the case at a lot of places all over the country.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I was SHOCKED at what I got! They were quoting me $10/gram in September when gold was $700ish an oz. Now it''s around $1000. It''s a good time!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry MC I have never sold for scrap, but I have noticed this option on vendor sites recently; often with the same picture advertising the service.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sold scrap gold on ebay and did pretty well. This was before the price of gold was up so it may be worthwhile to do a search and see.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC
a friend of mine used to own a coin shop,he would pay 78% of melt for scrap gold. 14K = 585 fine gold.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Both FI and I have sold old gold jewelry that we had but no longer wore. Since we thought that it was a good idea to sell and take advantage of high gold prices we knew that we wanted to sell but were skeptical about a pawn shop as well. I just never think you get the best deal there ... Luckily for us we inquired with our jeweler and it turns out that she is able to take it in and has it sold for us. We''ve been satisfied with the return. Here is a link if you are interested. We always deal with Mary but I assume that everyone else there will be able to assist you as well.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, I just sold a whole bunch of gold about two weeks ago - to a company that does "gold parties." I shopped around and they were paying the same as jewelers in the area, and because I met her at a networking event she was willing to come to my house, so I went with them. I sold all of my old gold and got around $1,300.

Some of it was probably not smart to think of as just "gold" to sell. So for example, I should have attempted to sell one of the bracelets, which had a beautiful mesh design, on Craigslist, where I would have gotten more than I got for selling it just for the gold weight - because of the craftsmanship.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 9:14:59 PM
Author: karee888
Yeah, I was SHOCKED at what I got! They were quoting me $10/gram in September when gold was $700ish an oz. Now it's around $1000. It's a good time!!
Right now sure is a good time. I called about seven shops yesterday and one gal told me that even though the price of gold has gone up, they're not paying any more per gram than they normally do!
20.gif

Sparkalicious - thanks for the link. . .I'll check that jeweler and some others in Seattle too (and some coin shops). The one who offered me the highest is in Bellevue.

CJ - that's a shame about the mesh bracelet! It's so hard to predict how much an item will sell for on eBay, and after all the selling and Pay Pal fees you might have not made any additional! Everything I'm selling is old stuff, like an omega bracelet with a kink in it! lol The good stuff that I could sell on eBay for more, such as an Austrian Gold Coin, I'm keeping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results