shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone here hired a landscaper?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’ve lost my zest for gardening/ yard work. It used to be a really relaxing thing for me but I’m not into it anymore. I have approx 4/5 of an acre and am wondering if it’s worth the cost to have someone come out and do it for me. Our yard is a blank slate basically but I need:
1. Blackberry/ brush/ tree removal.
2. Plants - I was thinking it would be nice to have rhododendrons lining our property on the inside of the fence.
3. Mounds of dirt moved and holes filled
4. Grass would be nice.

Opinions? I also have no idea how much this would cost so if anyone has an idea I’d love to know.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think the cost would vary a lot depending where you are. I'm sure you can get some quotes to see and ask for them to quote each step.

What I find is that some parts are worth it to me to hire out and other parts I will do myself (because I can, and I'm frugal, and I like to do things). Coming up we are building a gravel patio/fire pit area. I will do the final prep (after grading), add the landscape cloth, lay the edging stones. I am hiring someone to move the 12 tons of gravel from the driveway to the backyard.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I think the cost would vary a lot depending where you are. I'm sure you can get some quotes to see and ask for them to quote each step.

What I find is that some parts are worth it to me to hire out and other parts I will do myself (because I can, and I'm frugal, and I like to do things). Coming up we are building a gravel patio/fire pit area. I will do the final prep (after grading), add the landscape cloth, lay the edging stones. I am hiring someone to move the 12 tons of gravel from the driveway to the backyard.

I had planned to call around. I’m a little iffy about it because I feel like I should be able to do this no problem and my issues/ wants are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. I may see what I can do on my day’s off (since I have about 2 weeks of PTO I need to use) and hire out the rest.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I understand. We CAN move 12 tons of gravel....but I don't want to, lol. I try to find a balance between doing myself and hiring out. But most people I know don't do more than pull a few weeds between landscaper visits so they think we do A LOT. Sometimes it comes down to what else is going on. I am already trying to finish a bathroom remodel. I can do the landscape cloth and edgers in a few hours. It would take me a hard/long weekend or more to move the gravel and I'd rather hire someone to move it in a short time and use my hours in the bathroom.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
@winnietucker:

Consider including a mix of clover varieties with a mix of grass varieties for your lawn. If you include the clover, and don't bag your lawn trimmings, you might be able to avoid the need for nitrogen fertilizers on your lawn. Plus, the clover blossoms will tell you when it is time to mow the lawn.

Do you need an irrigation system? And have you thought about the extra maintenance that the rhododendrons and lawn will need? It is easier to install an irrigation system before you have a lawn.

For blackberry removal, you need your landscaper to:
  • Raze the blackberry bushes at ground level
  • Haul away (or destroy) the bushes
  • Either remove the rootballs of all of the bushes, or "paint" the exposed stumps with Roundup.
And be prepared to repeat the process promptly if the blackberries grow back.

If you liked the taste of the blackberries, consider planting a dwarf female mulberry tree. They don't have any pollen, seeds, or thorns; they are okay for people with pollen allergies. I have heard kids call mine a "blackberry tree". Mine fruits from late June until early August.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll second the clover grass mix. I love our clover...it is drought tolerant, chokes out most of the weeds and it attracts honey bees. My neighbors spend much time and money on irrigation and chemicals to keep their lawns perfectly manicured. All I do is mow. The clover mix doesn’t grow well in the shade though so I do reseed a bit as needed under the trees.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exploit the area children! Kidding! A few of the high school kids in our area are willing to cut blackberries, pull weeds, and similar for $15/hour. Many will want $30/hour for that but for the work you get $15 is definitely fair. (you can always tip if they do better than expected)

Sometimes they can do enough you get to where you are able and willing to finish. The rest of the time, it reduces the expense of full out landscaping companies.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’ve lost my zest for gardening/ yard work. It used to be a really relaxing thing for me but I’m not into it anymore. I have approx 4/5 of an acre and am wondering if it’s worth the cost to have someone come out and do it for me. Our yard is a blank slate basically but I need:
1. Blackberry/ brush/ tree removal.
2. Plants - I was thinking it would be nice to have rhododendrons lining our property on the inside of the fence.
3. Mounds of dirt moved and holes filled
4. Grass would be nice.

Opinions? I also have no idea how much this would cost so if anyone has an idea I’d love to know.

When we bought our home, we had a terrible overgrown landscape problem, including an evergreen that had been planted next to the house in a dark spot, but grew to arch into a sinister 40 foot praying mantis nightmare attack bush.

Anyhow, the project was $4,000 to gut the overgrown beds and plant several bushes about 18 small bushes and 2 Japanese maples and mulch.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Exploit the area children! Kidding! A few of the high school kids in our area are willing to cut blackberries, pull weeds, and similar for $15/hour. Many will want $30/hour for that but for the work you get $15 is definitely fair. (you can always tip if they do better than expected)

Sometimes they can do enough you get to where you are able and willing to finish. The rest of the time, it reduces the expense of full out landscaping companies.

I wish! I was just telling my husband we need neighbors with kids who want to work... unfortunately most of our neighbors either don’t have kids or their kids are too old (adults who don’t live at home anymore) or too young.

When we bought our home, we had a terrible overgrown landscape problem, including an evergreen that had been planted next to the house in a dark spot, but grew to arch into a sinister 40 foot praying mantis nightmare attack bush.

Anyhow, the project was $4,000 to gut the overgrown beds and plant several bushes about 18 small bushes and 2 Japanese maples and mulch.

That doesn’t seem bad at all! It definitely seems worth it to not have to do it myself.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wish! I was just telling my husband we need neighbors with kids who want to work... unfortunately most of our neighbors either don’t have kids or their kids are too old (adults who don’t live at home anymore) or too young.

That doesn’t seem bad at all! It definitely seems worth it to not have to do it myself.

Once upon a time I would have enjoyed doing it but at 55....nope! I don't have it in me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results