shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had vision correction surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking about having a LASIK or PRK procedure to correct my nearsightedness and have made a couple of consulation appointments around town.

If you have had the surgery, can you please answer:

What questions did you ask/research did you do prior to your consultation?

What type of surgery did you have?

Did it hurt? How long was your recovery time?

What was your vision before surgery? What is it now?

How much did it cost?

Please add anything else you think might be helpful.

Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
None, my dad told me to get it so he did the research. I got lasik for the same Dr (so did my sister)

I had PRK b/c I have thin corneas and could not get Lasik

Mine was about 2 weeks (lasiks is a few days) but a scrap takes longer to heal than a clean cut. Your vision gets better than worse than better again. Wierd. I was very light sensitive. Some pain but more discomfort. Wearing those fly googles at night was annoying.

Don't remember. Not too bad. After the surgery it was 20/15, now a soft 20/20 and I have glasses for driving (it was almost 6 years ago) My SIL got glasses 5 years after her surgery as well. So it doesn't last forever
2.gif

How much did it cost?
It was free. My dad had GREAT benefits at his last job.

There are risks. My night vision is pretty bad so is my sister's. DH's cousin has halos. SIL has problems too.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 3:25:13 PM
Author:NewShiny
I am thinking about having a LASIK or PRK procedure to correct my nearsightedness and have made a couple of consulation appointments around town.

Primarily worried that I was a good candidate for Lasik surgery. Issues I was concerned about was cornea was thick enough, pupils didn''t dilate too big in darkness to cause a halo effect, and drying of the eyes. The doctor I had gave me a free examination that was pretty thorough, about 1 hour total. He checked cornea thickenss, pupil dilation, and tear production. I''ve also had other doctors tell friends that they are NOT good candidates for LASIK.

LASIK

Did it hurt? How long was your recovery time? Did not hurt at all. I was up and about the next days and eyes were tired for about two days or so.

What was your vision before surgery? What is it now? Don''t know what it was but after it was 20/10 corrected.

How much did it cost? 4000 total (2000 per eye). This is one operation I''m not skimping on. My insurance company actually had a deal with another doctor but I didn''t go for that one. I chose someone more pricier but well worht it for me. If I could have the doctor who did Tiger Wood''s eyes, I would use him! The two doctors that I considered were the most experienced in the area and had actually done the operation on their own parents. No running across the border to Tijuana for the LASIK discount for me.

Please add anything else you think might be helpful. Doctor actually talked me into leaving one eye slightly near sighted to enable reading small print without glasses. If you are nearsighted, you can read small print without eyeglasses. But if you get both eyes corrected to 20/20 or so it becomes tougher as you get older. He had me try out a pair of glasses with one lens at 20/20 at the other lens undercorrected to see if it bothered me or not. It didn''t and I''m glad he talked me into it. If you are thinking of flying fighter jets for a living or climbing Mt. Everest, you might consider PRK instead of LASIK.
1.gif
All the service academies now give free eye correction surgery (PRK only I believe). I had my LASIK done 4 years ago and there are newer innovations in eye surgery since then. Good luck. Really make sure you are a good candidate for the surgery otherwise don''t do it.

Thanks!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 4:00:06 PM
Author: whatmeworry

If you are thinking of flying fighter jets for a living or climbing Mt. Everest, you might consider PRK instead of LASIK.
1.gif
Why?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Had LASIK 4 years ago; eyes were BAD (VERY nearsighted). Got 20/20 vision, very easy procedure and recovery. Best $3500 I ever spent on me!

If you are a good candidate, I say DO IT!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 4:49:50 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 9/6/2006 4:00:06 PM
Author: whatmeworry

If you are thinking of flying fighter jets for a living or climbing Mt. Everest, you might consider PRK instead of LASIK.
1.gif
Why?
They are worried that extreme altitudes that you might pop the flap or the eye may bulge. Now that I think about it the same warning applies to PRK. Some interesting stuff on how eye correction surgery is affecting the military. Gas masks fit better, submarine force is getting less qualified candidates because now folks with PRK can go into the aviation community whereas before they would have been disqualified.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses. They are very informative. I read the same type of article on PRK v. Lasik, I guess I''m just going to have to wait for the consult and find out if I''m even a candidate for the procedure.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock

I researched the equipment they use to do the surgery (and how current it was), my doctor's credentials, and how they actually do the procedure. They say to choose a doctor who has done over 1000 surgeries.

LASIK in 2/02.

No. I was able to see clearly the next day.

"Counting fingers." It is 20/20. In one of my checkups, I had 20/15.

How much did it cost?
$1895 total for both eyes over four years ago.

This was the best money I have EVER spent in my life. Well worth it.

Thanks!

koko

Shiny_Rock

How much did it cost?

Thanks!
1 I was told I was a good candidate, but was warned that I could get a "starburst" affect at night.

2 I had RK (radial keratotomy) surgery in 1986 on my left eye.

3 I didn''t feel anything. This was done before the laser, using a special kind of scalpel.
Recovery time was less than a week.

4 My vision before the surgery was 20/400 in both eyes. I only had the left eye surgerized. It is
now farsighted. I have lost all night vision in that eye, and I thank God that I didn''t go back
to have the right eye done. Even in dim lighting in the house at night, my vision is blurry in
the left eye. Uncorrectible with lenses because my pupil dialates into the outer edge of the
cornea where the scar tissue is. I also have a terrible "starburst" affect when driving at night
from headlights, street lights, etc.

5 My insurance covered the procedure, or I wouldn''t have done it.

6 I now have a consultation appt. with the Emory Eye Clinic in Atlanta to see if the doctors
there can improve on the procedure with PRK. I will not let anyone touch my right eye with
any type of surgery. I have no up close vision in the (surgerized) left eye, and am left with
blurry vision in it most of the time, even with correction. My glasses look terrible now
because the left lens (farsighted) magnifies my eye, and the right lens (nearsighted) reduces it.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
From what I know (and this may not even be true), your eyes have to been stablised for a period of time.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I had lasik in Jan 2005. My vision before was so bad that if I knocked my glasses off the nighstand I couldn't find them. I went to the best known person in my area...checked with other people etc. The surgery itself was quick and painless. Initially I had a huge amount of trouble seeing. Everything was very fuzzy or double...almost like walking in a fog for weeks. My job is entirely computer oriented and there were many days that I couldn't make out the screen even 6 inches away from it. It went on like this for at least 3-5 months. It was most definitely not the "instant vision" I expected. My eyes reacted to all the eye drops that you have to put in right after surgery and I developed microcysts. Lasik makes your eyes drier at least for awhile. I turned out to be allergic to rewetting drops....any brand...and kind...even the preservative free ones. I stopped all drops to get rid of the microcysts then I developed dry spots........I had to deal with the dry spots...which also cloud your vision or make it fuzzy in random places...for months. Thankfully it was summer and somewhat humid. I don't know if I would have survived if it had been the dry winter months. In fall of 2005 I was put on Restasis which seems to be working. I didn't react to those so now I have minimal dry spots and I can see pretty well. I test 20/20 but there is a difference between being able to make out the letters on the line and not seeing them fuzzy or worse yet seeing 2 of all the letters (which I did for a long time.) If you can make out the letters on the line you "pass" for that line even though the quality of your vision may not be great. In the mornings, my eyes are definitely not 20/20..I know they are still somewhat dry.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Probably not. At the very least, I would have definitely tested to see if my eyes could withstand the rewetting drops although it's possible they would have been fine before the surgery and not fine after.

hilbake

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 4:51:05 PM
Had LASIK 4 years ago; eyes were BAD (VERY nearsighted). Got 20/20 vision, very easy procedure and recovery. Best $3500 I ever spent on me!

Ditto!
I had Lasik done on both eyes in 2003. Since I was an employee of the hospital, I got a $1000 discount, so $1500 per eye. I had colleagues that had it done and highly recommended the doctor, so I went ahead to see if I was a candidate. I think I had 2 or 3 consultations because I had to stop wearing my contacts and switch back to glasses so that the shape of the eye/cornea was as normal as it could be. It was a painless procedure that took maybe 20 minutes total, my vision was slightly fuzzy in the beginning but I started to see everything soon after. The eye protectors for nighttime were a pain, but that was the worst of it for me! Now I don''t wear glasses/contacts at all!
36.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know much, but my brother had PRK a few months ago, and was very happy with the results as far as I know.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my mom had lasik''s done 7-8 years ago. she goes back for tweaking every now and then but has been very pleased. she was in very little if any pain.

ellybelly

Rough_Rock
I had Lasik in Febuary of 2003, and I researched the doctor in the area who was the most well known for doing the most Lasik surgeries and had cutting edge equipment. If your vision is too bad, you can''t get the customized Lasik where your cornea is mapped out on a computer program. It didn''t hurt but the whites of my eyes hemmoraged from where they put a metal ring to hold your eyeball in place. That didn''t go away for 6 weeks so I had bloody looking eyes. And for 2 months I couldn''t see at night driving because all the lights had huge halos around them. I am glad I did it because at least I can see without contacts. It cost about 5,000. This doctor had a scale depending on how bad your vision is-the more blind u are the more expensive the Lasik would be. Let us know if you decide to get it done
Ellen

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had Lasik 2 years ago. My cost was $1000 total for both eyes. I see 20/20 now....not sure what it was before, but I needed glasses or contacts constantly.

I got the latest appt. in the day, cuz you will not be able to see anything and they want you to rest your eyes for so many hours afterwards....so I came home and went to bed. Woke up the next morning, could see great! Then you just feel alittle dry for a few days, so they give you drops to put in ever couple hours....I would say within 3-4 days I felt totally normal.

I wouldnt say it hurts....its more like a slight pressure, discomfort thing...lasts barely a few seconds. I think the sound of the laser scared me more than the actual feeling of it.

I do not have any night vision problems or halos.....its awesome...and like everyone else said , best $ I ever spent!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
huh, guess like I am the only one that needs glasses now...

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock

I went to a Dr. several friends and family had been to and had a good experience with. It was the same office my primary care doctor''s office recommended. They''re one of a few places in the area where I used to live, but the one with the longest history and best reputation. I was a bit concerned at first since my corneas are so big... hehe... and others had said I was not a candidate. But this office recommended "custom Laski" to accomodate my larger corneas and reassured me that this actually is a better option : )

LASIK - CUSTOM since my corneas were "too big" for normal LASIK

It didn''t hurt at all. The worst discomfort actually was the "suction cup" that held my eyelids open. It was just a little bit of pressure, and mostly annoying because I just felt the need to rub my face and get it the heck out! But it was really just the "suction" that was bothersome - no pain.

Recovery time? The afternoon afterwards I was sensitive to light (especially since the ground was snow-covered so everything was super bright anyways). It felt like I had sand in my eyes that first afternoon, but with a few Valium from the Dr. and a nap for a few hours, I was just fine. The next morning I was as good as new. My eyes were a bit dry for the 1st week or 2... After that? NO issues : )

Vision before (1999): 20/80... Vision now and consistently over the past 7 years (2006): 20/10

How much did it cost?
$2100 for Custom. Regular LASIK would have been $1700 at the same office.

-make sure you have someone to drive you home afterwards and get you all tucked into bed!
-stock up on disposable re-wetting drop containers without preservatives... they''ll be a lifesaver in the first few weeks
-be vigilent about wearing the stupid goggles for the recommended time... can''t hurt to be too careful
-don''t worry about it too much - it''s over in about 20 minutes for both eyes... and doesn''t hurt... and it''ll be one of the best decisions you EVER make!

Thanks!
Aussie

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 4:51:05 PM

DITTO!!!

My vision was horrible. If I was lying in bed, I couldn''t tell who was standing at the foot of it. It''s a joy to be able to open my eyes in the morning and see. WOO HOO!

Only "drawback" (and this is VERY minor) is that I now have to put drops (natural tears) in my eyes. Never did it before LASIK, and now I do it maybe once a day, more often when I fly.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Aussiegirl,
This isn''t meant to be negative in any way, I''m just curious.

Why did you choose to have the correction if your vision was already 20/80? That''s pretty good, maybe even borderline for wearing glasses at all, I think.

I can''t see more than six inches away from my face without glasses or contacts. I think my contacts prescription is about -6.5 (nearsighted). Anyone had vision close to this prior to surgery? Chargergirl, I think we''re in the same boat!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
-5.75 on left eye. -6.25 on right eye.

Had Lasik done around 2000. 6 years ago or so I guess. $500/eye. It was a special cuz some eye doc had such a successful practice, he opened up another office and if you went to that new office at the very beginning, you got that special price. Same doc did the surgery. If it were a new doc, I would have paid the regular price to get the experienced one.

I just asked about side effects, risks, etc. I wanted worst case scenario, percentage of problems, etc. I don''t care about the best case scenario (the one they imply). I wanted worst case or likely worst case to see if I could live with it.

My surgery came out fine. I had pretty much 20/20. I think it was like 20/25 or something like that which to me, from having such bad eyes, was perfect vision. No halos, no night blurriness or whatever. Just had dry eyes for a while.

The only bad thing is I had it done too early. Eyes hadn''t stabilized yet. No, my eyesight could use a little correction. However, unlike a lot of people, I didn''t have much lens material so I''ve got only 1 more shot at it or so. So, I''m saving it up until I''m quite a bit older.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am too near sighted for accurate surgery correction. I am holding out for implantable contacts. Its just been approved by the FDA and is perfect for those who are super nearsighted. And it is 100% accurate since you are not reshaping the eye, but implanting a special contact. If your eyes should change in the future, they can change the contact. But it gives the same affect as laser surgery.

I am waiting 5 or 6 years for it to be not so new and then am going to do it. Also, the price should come down a bit by then.

I have -10 in one eye and -9.5 in the other. And if it goes well for me, my husband plans on doing it. He jokes that I will be the gunieu pig!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
NewShiny --

Thanks for catching my mistake -- I''ve never been very good at figuring out how contacts prescriptions translate to "20/20" or a measurement like that so I asked a coworker what they thought my prescription "translated to" She confidently said "20/80"... Obviously not!

My vision was pretty bad -- left eye was a "-4.00" prescription, right was "-4.25" -- basically couldn''t read my normal-sized alarm clock from bed, or recognize people across a room without contacts or glasses... Certainly couldn''t drive...

SORRY for the confusion... cube-mate will NO longer be consulted regarding anything : p just kidding

best of luck...

Aussie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results