shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had double knee replacement at the same time?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that you are feeling better little by little. I still can't believe you had them both done at the same time but it's over and you'll not have to worry about the knees again! Better days are ahead I'm sure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
prayers continue.
I have been praying for you.
Im kicking myself for not having posted sooner but have been following and praying.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, lost post to cyberspace.

Will try again tomorrow. Another ortho appt at 8:30 to see if right knee needs to be drained again.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scars will fade to almost nothing by 2 years if you don’t go suntanning them. They look quite lovely actually! Good luck tomorrow!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Righ 8ACE75E5-4C14-42E4-AA71-4CB38EE3F2B5.jpeg ty was done 6 years ago, left 1 year.

Attachments

• D68A5C2D-E082-4206-9FB7-CA2FF76B17F1.jpeg
    D68A5C2D-E082-4206-9FB7-CA2FF76B17F1.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 27

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave - how is the swelling? How are your pain levels? How would you compare your pain now to how it was a week or two ago?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave - how is the swelling? How are your pain levels? How would you compare your pain now to how it was a week or two ago?

I had another 115ccs drained this morning. She said it’s not infected— it’s a common side effect of the brutal surgery.

She also found out I’m not on pain pills and she felt terrible about that because she said I’m supposed to be on them 6-8 weeks (3 weeks out tomorrow).

I was really weepy yesterday— just the combination of pain and insomnia was getting to me. I cried half way through PT.

The pain is different. It went from “little electric mice boring their way through my bones and doing it slowly so I would feel everything” to deep bone ache.

I’m still glad I had the surgery and I’m still glad I had both done at the same time.

I’m waiting for the pharmacy to text me that my pain pills are ready.

I booked this in Florida for the summer to give me motivation and something to look forward to:

05560BCA-48C8-4879-AD13-FBEA963615FA.jpeg 6668D0A3-8057-4AA5-9B5E-1F7DED24979F.jpeg EE6A96C4-FD97-4F2E-8AC1-75739957FAF9.jpeg

We will bring our boat and the dogs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby @Karl_K @MissGotRocks thank you again.

I’m sorry if I forgot to thank anyone personally... I’ll be going back to loopy time soon.

The only issue is I’m not supposed to drive while on narcotics. I have one kid here and I sent the others back. The one here is here through this week and then she is going back to her apartment this weekend. Then I have another coming back for Sun-Mon-Tues. I don’t know what happens after that, but I’ll be 4 weeks out, so maybe I’ll be able to drive myself. Mostly around the house, I’m waking unassisted with no cane or anything.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry the pain hasn't become more manageable, @whitewave. How is your mobility? And how is the PT going? Draining fluid has got to help - I can't imagine everything you're going through, then adding swelling and heat from swelling.... Gees louise....

By the way - you have lovely ankles, for what that's worth!

I was given I/V dilaudid (hydromorphone) when my two spinal discs ruptured and pierced my meninges. I was taken to hospital and they couldn't reach my surgeon, so I had to wait around 18 hours for my surgery. Worst 18 hours of my life. I/V dilaudid is similar in effect to heroin - somewhat stronger, but very similar feel: warmth where it goes in, then you feel it as it travels up your vein, then a rush as it hits your brain, then...floating in white light. Instant nirvana. @missy - as with Greg, morphine did nothing for me, but dilaudid was the silver bullet. It works very quickly, then wears off suddenly after a few hours. I had 4-5 doses over a 12 hour period and came out of hospital knowing I could never, ever take it again. I've never been a dependent type of personality, but this stuff was just irresistible. I knew it at the time, and I still know it now. I remember exactly what it felt like and it was just too strong for this kid to ever revisit.

@whitewave - I check in on this thread regularly and am thinking of you and hoping you round a corner soon. Very soon. Like - now!

Happy new year, and best wishes for a waaaaaay less painful 2021!

Very interesting post, mrs-b, and a frightening one as well. I had dilaudid for a compression fracture and while my experience wasn't as vivid as yours, it's a good thing I can't buy it at WalMart.
You're right, she has lovely ankles and will soon have lovely legs to match.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting post, mrs-b, and a frightening one as well. I had dilaudid for a compression fracture and while my experience wasn't as vivid as yours, it's a good thing I can't buy it at WalMart.
You're right, she has lovely ankles and will soon have lovely legs to match.

Aww, thanks. I’m back on Percocet so didn’t get the chance to try dalaudid. But I will keep it in the back of my mind!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep that pain under control and you will get better faster. When I got weepy I got really really depressed. Then I lost motivation. You are doing fantastic! Keep it up!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep that pain under control and you will get better faster. When I got weepy I got really really depressed. Then I lost motivation. You are doing fantastic! Keep it up!

Oh good to know there is a weepy phase lol.

today’s pics— the zip line is off. That darn right knee wants to fill up again.

Im leaving to go to PT and then when I come home; I’m going to put the stockings and ice back on it and elevate it. I also just took my Percocet so it will be in my system for therapy.

Pass on the pic if it might gross you out.

11043F5B-63DF-4A95-B4C7-40D4EBFFC321.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weepy phase went from week two to week eight. I actually got suicidal around week 7. It too shall pass. Your incisions are healing very nicely!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good @whitewave. Hope PT goes well and then elevate and ice when you get back.
Before you know it you will be back to better than normal!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weepy phase went from week two to week eight. I actually got suicidal around week 7. It too shall pass. Your incisions are healing very nicely!

It’s definitely challenging and I’m also bored and feel isolated even though I also don’t want to do anything right now either. Very discontented. I’m glad you pulled through it.

Thanks, @missy ! The therapists think I have to get it drained one more time but I think the otho’s lines are down. If need be, DH can drain it this weekend...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest thing I wish someone had told me was by 8 weeks it would be much better! I felt like there was no end in sight and that was really depressing. The second time was MUCH better because I knew it would end.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest thing I wish someone had told me was by 8 weeks it would be much better! I felt like there was no end in sight and that was really depressing. The second time was MUCH better because I knew it would end.

Greg agrees that by week 8 he was almost 100%. I bought Swan Lake tickets for four weeks after the surgery and that became our goal so to speak. Greg felt pretty good and while he was slow moving he went to the theater without a cane but we cabbed it in and didn't attempt the subway stairs.

February 2020 4 weeks after total (right) knee replacement surgery and right before the pandemic hit NYC.

missyandgregswanlakefebruary2020.jpeg
We had no idea the pandemic was about to hit and change life as we knew it. At least temporarily.

Hang in there @whitewave you're almost there!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @AprilBaby and @missy for encouraging me about 8 weeks. I’ll just over 3 weeks out now. Yesterday was a bad day. I say it’s like 5 steps forward, 2 back.

I’m about 80% around the house with no walking aid. I went the other day to PT without anything, but then I had to wait and their chairs are too low (go figure) so I had to stand about 8 minutes, and that was hard. So I’ll keep bringing the walker to public places.

Long story, but although I waited about 40 mins yesterday, I left because I felt so bad and didn’t see the PA or get my knee drained. I just had to get out of there.... had a poor night and took a Percocet and I thought I was going to fall asleep and fall out of the chair. So I left. DH looked at my knee last night and said it looks good.

@missy I would have never known your DH was 4 weeks post knee replacement in that photo! And yeah, subway steps. Ick. When we went to the city last December, we had to get a car/take a cab sometimes when it got too much for me (post meniscus surgery)...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And don’t think I didn’t spy bubbalah on your hand!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep up the good work!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep up the good work!

Thank you. I took a bath last night— getting in was normal. Getting out was scary lol. DH was there to help, but I was able to get out by myself but with some effort (it’s a 50 gallon corner unit jacuzzi).

Here are my newest pics... I figured I’d keep posting since eventually someone else will consider this.

99327C39-0F7A-4490-9038-7EC9AEDFBE91.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok my one month update: my doc was blown away that I’m only one month out yesterday. He said my progress is “phenomenal” and that I am “way ahead of the game”....

He did have to drain about 85cc from the right one— it’s not infected; just a side effect of the surgery. So that was the third time and hopefully the last one.

He said I can go to my other house this weekend!!! To keep taking my Elliquis and to wear compression stockings as good measure. This means a lot to me because I was feeling down yesterday and I think I need a change or scenery other than my sofa and my PT office.

Progress photo:
BCAC32E4-C3D2-4790-9EA2-8E6D6CDE3FD2.jpeg

At this point, no one needs to reply. It’s becoming my personal recovery journal— of course feel free to reply if you want. I just mean to say I don’t want anyone to feel obligated to keep this going.

The doc (and everyone else) said 8 weeks is the next big milestone. I can’t believe I have to do all the time I have already done to get there— ykwim? Another 4 weeks.

My pain is a lot less and I’m sleeping so much better. I’d still say it’s 4 steps forward and 2 steps back. I’m definitely getting there and don’t use a walking aid around the house any more.
Thanks for reading!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok my one month update: my doc was blown away that I’m only one month out yesterday. He said my progress is “phenomenal” and that I am “way ahead of the game”....

He did have to drain about 85cc from the right one— it’s not infected; just a side effect of the surgery. So that was the third time and hopefully the last one.

He said I can go to my other house this weekend!!! To keep taking my Elliquis and to wear compression stockings as good measure. This means a lot to me because I was feeling down yesterday and I think I need a change or scenery other than my sofa and my PT office.

Progress photo:

At this point, no one needs to reply. It’s becoming my personal recovery journal— of course feel free to reply if you want. I just mean to say I don’t want anyone to feel obligated to keep this going.

The doc (and everyone else) said 8 weeks is the next big milestone. I can’t believe I have to do all the time I have already done to get there— ykwim? Another 4 weeks.

My pain is a lot less and I’m sleeping so much better. I’d still say it’s 4 steps forward and 2 steps back. I’m definitely getting there and don’t use a walking aid around the house any more.
Thanks for reading!

Just wanted to say you’re looking great! You’re doing so well and that’s all because of your determination and effort. You go girl!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Popped in here to check on you @whitewave . You are doing awesome!! Enjoy your change of scenery this weekend!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy thank you. I suspect many of us here are determined women lol.

@OdetteOdile thank you. I will enjoy the drive as well as the other city— we are already planning to charbroil oysters. I can’t wait lol

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock

Progress photo:

Thanks for reading!

Great to see and hear things are looking up. Documenting this will be helpful i am sure to someone who maybe faced with this in the future, also some of us who are rooting for you are happy to hear things are improving.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! I can't imagine how much better you'll feel in another 4 weeks, I hope they fly for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results