shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had double knee replacement at the same time?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandma did, way back in the 1980's. She was hit by a car walking down the sidewalk in Detroit. I'm sure that the surgery was in the infancy back then, but she did great afterwards and traveled with her grandkids.

Wow. That’s a story. I wonder how old she was about then. Have you any idea? Just curious. Plus. She no doubt had trauma to her body.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother had bother her wrists and knees replaced in her 50’s which was pretty traumatic... big scars - long recovery.... that was 30yrs ago now.
She had both knees done again in her early eighties by the new method and she was up and walking around within three days. It was amazing. She was so much more stable. We called her the bionic woman.

The doc told me even if I have them both done at the same time, I will be up and walking a few hours after surgery.

I love hearing the great stories about everyone’s strong grandmas!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wow. That’s a story. I wonder how old she was about then. Have you any idea? Just curious. Plus. She no doubt had trauma to her body.

It was quite a phone call. I remember my folks so concerned. She was in her 60's or 70's at that point - definitely retired. The car hit her legs, and they say she ended up on the hood of the car. At that point, we lived in Alabama, so she was far away in Detroit. Other family members were there for her and we went to see her. Eventually, she received a settlement from the accident and was able to travel with her grand kids.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The doc told me even if I have them both done at the same time, I will be up and walking a few hours after surgery.

I love hearing the great stories about everyone’s strong grandmas!

Yes. You will be up and walking same day, hours after surgery. You will be numb so it will seem really easy. It’s the next day when the numb wears off that it gets tough. They had me do an entire PT session afternoon at 4 after 7 am surgery. Climbing stairs and everything.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I did stem cell treatment last August on my right knee when they repaired my meniscus. That knee is crushed bone on bone but doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as the left one.

DH got home early today, so we went to Sam’s and per my conversation with the nutritionist yesterday evening, bought 5 kinds of Premier Protein shakes and quest bars, and my doc said do keto.

I lost 10 pounds this month, so I’m going to challenge myself for more this month.

@whitewave , I did full on keto for 7 months this year, and low carb since. I lose 13lbs on average each month. The goal is to become fat-adapted, which takes, on average, 6 weeks. On your average calorie controlled diet, that's about when your weight loss slows down. With keto, that's when it ramps up. I highly recommend it.

I'm thinking about doing stem cell. Did you see an improvement after you did it? You said it's better than the other knee, but I wasn't sure if it started better in the first place. Just out of curiosity, why did they repair the meniscus if they were going to do TKR? Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing. I don't actually know anyone apart from my sister who has had TKR, and she's back in Australia and I haven't seen her for over a decade. And I don't know *anyone* who has done stem cell. So any and all info would be very helpful.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave , I did full on keto for 7 months this year, and low carb since. I lose 13lbs on average each month. The goal is to become fat-adapted, which takes, on average, 6 weeks. On your average calorie controlled diet, that's about when your weight loss slows down. With keto, that's when it ramps up. I highly recommend it.

I'm thinking about doing stem cell. Did you see an improvement after you did it? You said it's better than the other knee, but I wasn't sure if it started better in the first place. Just out of curiosity, why did they repair the meniscus if they were going to do TKR? Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing. I don't actually know anyone apart from my sister who has had TKR, and she's back in Australia and I haven't seen her for over a decade. And I don't know *anyone* who has done stem cell. So any and all info would be very helpful.

Ok so what happened is last year (February 2019), my right knee destabilized and I pushed through the pain not realizing I could cause further damage. I tore my meniscus and that in turn caused a hairline fracture on my right upper tibia. So I broke my leg. I caused it.

I had to wait for the Tibia to repair and then I had meniscus surgery and stem cell infusion from the bone marrow in my hip. We did this because I have a metal allergy and we were hoping to get a far as we could without having to replace the knee.

The stem cell part to me was no big deal, but they did it while I was under anesthesia for the meniscus repair.

Then I did my rehab, got Bell’s palsy, went to NYC and came back with flu A and then the pandemic hit lol.

This left one went kaput probably in June, but I’ve been getting cortisone injections and taking pain meds etc. By 6 pm my legs crap out from the pain and I literally can do no more standing or walking.

DH was thinking the left knee might have been bursitis, and I was clinging to that and it didn’t occur to me that despite the pain and what was actually happening, that this knee broke also. I did describe it to the PA on Monday as my left knee felt “destroyed”.

The problem was, I am so unsteady, for my xrays in the summer, I wobbled when I was supposed to be putting weight on my left knee, so that X-ray looked perfect.

They redid my xrays on Monday because he said they didn’t match what I was describing, so this time they gave me something to hold on to so I could stand correctly, and that is when they could see my left knee is gone also.

He said the left hurts more because the right is already gone whereas the left is angry and inflamed and is currently in a destructing pattern. He said if they did one at a time, they would do the most symptomatic one first, which is the left one.

I got another cortisone shot and now it doesn’t hurt, but last time it only lasted 3-4 weeks.

He said I can’t do any exercise because anything I do is going to make it worse.

So I’m completely stuck with needing to exercise to lose weight from the gastric sleeve (and I mean getting my activity level up to a normal person) and now I can’t do that.

So I’m disgusted, am depressed, having a pity party and bought myself some pity party items, including a pair of sea of Cortez baroque pearl earrings to match the necklace I made with @yssie’s extra pearls.

What was the question? Lol. Did I answer it? If not, please redirect...

Oh, on X-ray, the right is awful looking.... literally looks like crushed and mashed bone on crushed and mashed bone. I’ll see if I can find the pic. That is the one I did stem cells on. It doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the left, which looks much better on X-ray but hurts a lot more.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and my stomach is only 4 ounces now, so I think the fat adapted stuff doesn’t really apply because I’m only taking in like 800 calories a day.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my pity party is because since February 2019, I’ve been sitting here on the GD sofa and when I finally did my rehab and felt better, I kept getting sick. Then in February 2020, I joined a gym with a pool and went once before the pandemic shut everything down. Then I tried to start walking, etc, and now I’m back on the GD sofa again.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. You will be up and walking same day, hours after surgery. You will be numb so it will seem really easy. It’s the next day when the numb wears off that it gets tough. They had me do an entire PT session afternoon at 4 after 7 am surgery. Climbing stairs and everything.

Oh wow, climbing steps makes me cringe; my daughter lives in a 2 story 2 bedroom townhouse 1.5 hours away, so I went there a few weeks ago with my dogs. we slept over and the stairs are steep. I had a super hard time with the stairs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E903EA5F-13A0-4AD1-A4FC-783F8C75C706.jpeg

One of my pity party, woe is me gifts to myself.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok here is the X-ray from August. The right knee is the first one on the left. The X-ray on Monday (which I just realized I didn’t take pics of because I was so dumbfounded about the diagnosis that I forgot).... shows an even worse right knee.

Notice the left knee doesn’t look bad. This is the pic where I wobbled so it looks good because I don’t have any weight on my left knee. Since August, the right knee is much more degraded. It was shocking to see.

641619BD-37E5-4B38-B190-E531959D50CE.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok here is the X-ray from August. The right knee is the first one on the left. The X-ray on Monday (which I just realized I didn’t take pics of because I was so dumbfounded about the diagnosis that I forgot).... shows an even worse right knee.

Notice the left knee doesn’t look bad. This is the pic where I wobbled so it looks good because I don’t have any weight on my left knee. Since August, the right knee is much more degraded. It was shocking to see.

641619BD-37E5-4B38-B190-E531959D50CE.jpeg

Eeesh! That looks so bad! I’m sorry you’re in such pain. But kudos to you for getting gastric sleeve. Gentle hugs!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeesh! That looks so bad! I’m sorry you’re in such pain. But kudos to you for getting gastric sleeve. Gentle hugs!

Thanks, you should see the X-ray from Monday. It makes this one look great

Reactions: caf

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
331846E1-33B8-491B-8867-ECBA869629FD.jpeg

Has anyone used an upright walker? I bought this and hope it’s ok to help me get around until surgery.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
331846E1-33B8-491B-8867-ECBA869629FD.jpeg

Has anyone used an upright walker? I bought this and hope it’s ok to help me get around until surgery.

I have no personal experience of either this upright walker/rollator or rolling walker.
I usually recommend the rolling walker because of the decreased risk of having it roll out from you if the brakes are not properly engaged. They are not pretty but they are safer when starting out with walkers.
Edited to add
That said, this looks like it would reduce the strain on the lower back in someone with pain in both knees allowing the upper arm to help reduce strain on the knees.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
13CF674B-CBC5-4391-A78B-99FEB65388F8.jpeg 722E1402-DA93-474C-AE27-A59788396FC1.jpeg
My hair is a bit nuts right now lol. I’m letting it air dry and I’m leaving it alone since I don’t go anywhere or do anything.
Wow beautiful lustre on the pearls! They look great with your coloring too.

I hope everything goes smoothly and you can walk better and feel better soon!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow beautiful lustre on the pearls! They look great with your coloring too.

I hope everything goes smoothly and you can walk better and feel better soon!

Thanks, yes, I love them. The luster is beautiful.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your surgery @whitewave. It's amazing how knee replacements can improve the quality of your life.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your surgery @whitewave. It's amazing how knee replacements can improve the quality of your life.

Thanks, Lisa. I went and did my pre op testing yesterday and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the dr office to sign all the paperwork, and then it’s surgery 1 week from today! I hope I squeak by before electives get cancelled.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! I hope you get the easy version!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! I hope you get the easy version!

Thank you.

Ok. Would you all help me pack? I’m getting a little on the anxious side. I’m an overpacker also.

Who had this surgery whether one or two knees?

I’m in for at least 3 days, 2 nights. My cousin told me to not pack pajamas because she had a catheter and so kept the hospital gown on.

All I know is day 1 (surgery day), I will have both legs ace bandaged wrapped from my thigh to my ankle. I will be on strong pain meds, but they will get me up to walk with the old lady walker.

I already have packed dry shampoo, toothpaste and brush, deodorant and a brush.

I am going to pack one pair of pajamas just in case. Loose clothing to leave in.

Thanks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

Ok. Would you all help me pack? I’m getting a little on the anxious side. I’m an overpacker also.

Who had this surgery whether one or two knees?

I’m in for at least 3 days, 2 nights. My cousin told me to not pack pajamas because she had a catheter and so kept the hospital gown on.

All I know is day 1 (surgery day), I will have both legs ace bandaged wrapped from my thigh to my ankle. I will be on strong pain meds, but they will get me up to walk with the old lady walker.

I already have packed dry shampoo, toothpaste and brush, deodorant and a brush.

I am going to pack one pair of pajamas just in case. Loose clothing to leave in.

Thanks.

I would pack your own nightgown if you have one or something that you can wear and have a catheter in without an issue. When I was in the hospital for 4 nights they let me bring my own clothes so I could at least feel better that way. I brought socks and slippers and sneakers and a few cotton dresses with me.

I brought my computer even though they said not to because they would not be responsible for anything stolen. But I brought it and kept it with me the whole stay. No problem and I got to post on PS too :)

I brought my mobile phone again despite the hospital advising against it.

I brought my meds and the supplements I was allowed to take.

I brought my eyeglasses and toothbrush and toothpaste and my Avene thermal water with cotton rounds so I could clean my face before bedtime. I also brought snacks because I am very picky so had a stash of nuts etc so I could eat whenever I wanted to. I brought a few books to read. I didn't bring shampoo as I wasn't allowed to wash my hair during the stay. That wasn't fun.

I am trying to remember what else and will add here if anything pops up.
Good luck and sending you bucketloads of well wishes.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pack your own nightgown if you have one or something that you can wear and have a catheter in without an issue. When I was in the hospital for 4 nights they let me bring my own clothes so I could at least feel better that way. I brought socks and slippers and sneakers and a few cotton dresses with me.

I brought my computer even though they said not to because they would not be responsible for anything stolen. But I brought it and kept it with me the whole stay. No problem and I got to post on PS too :)

I brought my mobile phone again despite the hospital advising against it.

I brought my meds and the supplements I was allowed to take.

I brought my eyeglasses and toothbrush and toothpaste and my Avene thermal water with cotton rounds so I could clean my face before bedtime. I also brought snacks because I am very picky so had a stash of nuts etc so I could eat whenever I wanted to. I brought a few books to read. I didn't bring shampoo as I wasn't allowed to wash my hair during the stay. That wasn't fun.

I am trying to remember what else and will add here if anything pops up.
Good luck and sending you bucketloads of well wishes.

Thanks, ok yes, the Cotton pads and face cleaner is next. Protein bars, shakes and my special alkaline Hawaiian water lol... nightgown is a good Idea or loose cotton like maxi dress, plus my soft sleep bras. Not going without a bra.

Ok going to throw all of that in while I’m thinking about it.

Thanks, Missy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ok yes, the Cotton pads and face cleaner is next. Protein bars, shakes and my special alkaline Hawaiian water lol... nightgown is a good Idea or loose cotton like maxi dress, plus my soft sleep bras. Not going without a bra.

Ok going to throw all of that in while I’m thinking about it.

Thanks, Missy.

Haha a bra was the one thing I was happy not to take. :)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Phone, charger block and long phone cord. Glasses.

Ask them to give you another gown when you have to get up and walk to use as a bathrobe.

Hand sanitizer. It’s all over the hospital and in your room but having some next to your bed is nice.

Slip on sneakers.

You may want to bring a pair of like bike shorts or longer compression shorts.

Masks. I had a third spine surgery in September. Everyone wore a mask in my room. I didn’t have to as I was on oxygen for awhile. But in hallway while walking I needed to wear a mask. As you know, they have masks at hospital but I liked having my masks.

Ask for an extra pillow or two to put in your chair.

Pen and paper.

Good luck!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A travel size dawn, a couple of ziplock bags, hand sanitizer (have your own stash). I wish you luck with surgery...hopefully you will soon be pain free and able to walk around just fine.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How did everything go? I hope it went well and you are getting some rest between the walks and exercises. Update us when you feel up to it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results