shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had a tubal ligation?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was it something you could do on say, Monday and go back to work on Tuesday? or is it something to schedule on a Thursday and come back Monday? I am told it's laproscopic and pretty low key but I want to talk to others who have had it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it when I was 25 as a birthday present to myself. That was 38 years ago and I had a difficult time finding a doctor who would do it without my husband's permission so times have changed. The procedure was easy. I did it on a Friday and went to work on Monday. The most difficult part was that they inject gas into you to separate the organs and that gas bubble ended up between my shoulder blades and was mighty uncomfortable for a day. Don't know how much the procedure has changed over the years so recovery may be even easier. If you have any physical challenges -- sensitivity to anesthesia or antibiotics or your body strongly reacts to stress (even easy procedures cause body stress) -- then your recovery may take longer. My recommendation is to take 3 full days off so have it done on Friday and go back to work Tuesday.

Reactions: ame

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it at 35. I think going back to work the next day is a bit of a stretch. Mind you, I also had a D&C at the same time, so maybe that part was what gave me some pain. I would recommend doing the Thursday. If you feel great the next day that's a bonus.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I had the same procedure 4 years ago:my shoulders and upper back hurt so bad for a week as aftereffects of the gas they use to inflate the lower abdomen.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did but it was after my 2nd C-sect. I know a woman who did it and also had some back pain but was able to go back to work on Monday from a Thursday procedure.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had it done thirty years ago but I remember it was less than a week before I could do my normal activity..I also had the shoulder blade pain..It was uncomfortable but tolerable..I had the same pain when I had my gallbladder out during a lap procedure..

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was the day after baby number 4. I went home the next day. I don’t remember any complications but it’s been 28 years.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you all!

Anyone have issues with it failing? My friend is an L&D nurse and said I should consider a Paraguard instead?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No issues, and much peace of mind!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend is an L&D nurse and said I should consider a Paraguard instead
I know 3 women in their 20's and 30's who had it and it caused all sorts of problems for them such as dislodging and heavier periods. If you're absolutely sure you don't want children, then a permanent solution is the right way to go imo. Just ask the doctor to make sure he cuts a nice gap between the tube ends and gives them a good cauterization so those ends seal up tighter than a Brinks safe =)2

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know 3 women in their 20's and 30's who had it and it caused all sorts of problems for them such as dislodging and heavier periods. If you're absolutely sure you don't want children, then a permanent solution is the right way to go imo. Just ask the doctor to make sure he cuts a nice gap between the tube ends and gives them a good cauterization so those ends seal up tighter than a Brinks safe =)2

:lol::lol::lol:

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I had a tubal during my c-section delivery so I can not comment on returning to work as I was recovering from giving birth as well. My periods changed/worsened after the procedure which led to an ablation a few years later. The ablation failed and caused even worse issues and I ended up having a partial hysterectomy. So in my "worst case" scenario, I would say that it could have been better for me to have not had the tubal. However, I don't know if the worsening of my periods was directly related to the tubal or more coincidental.

Reactions: AV_

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No issues. I had mine after baby #5's c-section. I have never heard of anyone having a pregnancy after a tubal ligation but I have two friends who had unexpected babies after a vasectomy. Mine was 23 years ago.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more kids. I told the dr if it failed he got to keep the next one.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

To surely avoid pregnancies the doctor must cut a portion of tubes (tipically 7 or 8 cm) and give a cauterization: I know a couple of women who had their tubes only tied and they both got pregnant because the ties got loose.
Ask your doctor about all the details of the procedure; be sure you'll have a tubal sterilization not a simple tubal ligation: both laparoscopic, both take about a quarter hour, the first procedure takes only few minutes more than the second one; don't worry to be pedant, it's your health and it's your life.

Paraguard is neither permanent nor sure/safe: like Essure, avoid it.

My doctor said that the main downside effect of tubal sterilization is psychological: after a brief period of euphoria, many women feel depressed because they perceive themselves as useless...

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I made a mistake: I wrote "sterilization" instead of "resection".
Both tubal ligation and tubal resection are sterilization procedures: in the first one you only have you tubes tied, in the second one you have your tubes cut.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe mine were cauterized.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've not had a tubal ligation, but I know of some women who have ended up with premature ovarian failure some time after having the procedure. This can occur if the ovaries are traumatized during the procedure in some way, such as the blood supply being disrupted. (It often occurs after a hysterectomy, when the uterus is removed but not the ovaries.) This might not seem like such a big deal for a woman who is certain that she is done having children, but it actually is a VERY big deal in terms of long-term health and quality of life. It basically creates menopause at that point, regardless of her chronological age, and the menopause it creates is very different from natural menopause. In natural menopause, the ovaries gradually cease making progesterone over a shorter period of time, but continue making estrogen - just less than during the fertile period of life - in very slowly decreasing amounts until they cease to around age 80 or so on average. They also continue to play an important role in other bodily processes, such as converting precursors to cortisol and the other sex hormones, which continue to play a part in well-being, and converting cholesterol to vitamin D after adequate sun exposure. If the ovaries are missing or have failed, this is all disrupted, creating major hormone and metabolic chaos for basically the remainder of a woman's life, which is seriously detrimental to her quality of life, increases her risk of heart disease somewhere around six-fold, and shortens her lifespan, on average, about 10 years. SO.....it's imperative, if one is going to have this procedure, to be sure that the surgeon is very skilled and experienced, and that the issue of preservation of ovarian function is thoroughly discussed ahead of time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results