shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever made almond macaroons? Have a good recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
There''s a bakery quasi near me (North side of Atlanta) that makes the most delectable almond macaroons. They have these chewy centers that are amazing. They''re $2 each!!!! I''ve been trying to crack the recipe for the last year or so. My recipe right now consists of making my own almond paste and then combining that with ground almonds, sugar, amaretto, almond extract and egg whites. They''re good, the taste is right, but they lack the chewy center of the cookies from the bakery.

Anybody have any ideas on solving the texture issue? I don''t know enough about the science of baking for this.

lucyinthesky

Rough_Rock
absolute simplest recipe (with great results, including that perfect chewy center) is the one on the Solo almond paste can. They also freeze really well (I usually have a batch in the freezer so that I can pop one in the microwave when I have a craving...mmm...warm and chewy)

1 can Solo Almond Paste
2 egg whites
1-1/4 cups sugar

Preheat oven to 325° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or brown paper.

Break almond paste into small pieces and place in medium-size bowl or container of food processor. Add egg whites and sugar and beat with electric mixer or process until mixture is very smooth.

Spoon almond mixture into large pastry bag fitted with open star tip. Pipe into stars or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart.

Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheets on wire racks. Peel macaroons off parchment paper when completely cool. Store in airtight containers. Note: To remove macaroons from brown paper, brush underside of paper with water under each cookie. 1 at a time.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Sounds yummy! I''ll try it.

Do you happen to know how many ounces the can of almond paste is? I''m stuck on making my own as it is so easy and about 1/5 the cost of buying it already prepared. Plus I have some in my freezer right now and can make this recipe as soon as it thaws!!!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I made them. They came out chewy, but oddly hollow. They puffed up and looked great, but when I pulled them off the parchment paper, I realized they were a dome of sorts with no guts.

I''m not sure what happened. The cookies from the bakery have this shape, but are dense and chewy.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

April- having recently been to Paris (yum!!), I wonder if what you are describing from this bakery are not actually traditional macaron. The ones I''ve had are very light cookies (since they are meringue), filled with ganache. I definitely would not describe them as chewy. But the cookies were not hollow either, though.

Here''s a good photo of what they look like on the inside. http://ohthankcod.blogspot.com/2008/05/pierre-herme.html

Good luck with your macaron endeavors. I love baking, but macaron are so "high end" and complicated that I am really intimidated to try. Let me know how it goes
9.gif

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I have no advice, but I all I wanted to say was I wish I was close to you to try your cookies- mess up or not! I loooooove almond flavors!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results