shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone done/is anyone doing intermittent fasting?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should have stated that this may well not apply to all. Everyones body/metabolism is different.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because if you Google about consuming only that many calories a day, you'll find articles saying if you do that, you'll become fatigued and develop nutritional deficiencies, plus the weight may be harder to get off/stay off, as your body will think it's starving. Clearly this isn't the case with you. So, the proof may be in the pudding.

Remember that Fung's books address the starvation issue and why it doesn't apply to intermittent fasting. Forgot to mention that my blood work and physical in October were excellent. I didn't deliberately lower my caloric intake; my body decided what it needed when I started the 16/8. I was carrying A LOT of fat so my progress follows what Fung describes in his books. My body burned the fat for energy. I haven't felt hungry since I started this journey and my energy level is still through the roof. Anyone who tries intermittent fasting needs to follow their body's signals and find what works and what doesn't.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember that Fung's books address the starvation issue and why it doesn't apply to intermittent fasting. Forgot to mention that my blood work and physical in October were excellent. I didn't deliberately lower my caloric intake; my body decided what it needed when I started the 16/8. I was carrying A LOT of fat so my progress follows what Fung describes in his books. My body burned the fat for energy. I haven't felt hungry since I started this journey and my energy level is still through the roof. Anyone who tries intermittent fasting needs to follow their body's signals and find what works and what doesn't.
Exactly.

And admittedly, though I know how IF works, I didn't recall a low calorie content like yours being mentioned. But I do know that everyone is different for sure. Thanks for including the blood work/physical info. :wink2:

I have to ask, did your doc have anything to say?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still doing 16-8, not very consistently during the holiday season though:roll2:. As soon as someone offers delicious food and expensive champagne, my eating window is magically wide open. I'm down only 4lbs since starting IF in September but consider it a mild success as I tend to gain 5-10lbs during holidays. I'm hoping to be more on track once all of the parties are over.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly.
I have to ask, did your doc have anything to say?

Sorry for the delay in answering. Was on our annual new year retreat in the middle of nowhere with slow 3G network. My doctor said she hadn't heard of intermittent fasting so we spent the majority of my appointment discussing it. I told her about Fung's books. She was very interested in doing some research and then trying IF herself. She emailed a month after my appointment to say she had started IF and was looking forward to seeing what it could do for her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lost another 2 lbs, 10 lbs total so far.
I noticed my appetite is less active? I don’t feel hungry often anymore.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed my appetite is less active? I don’t feel hungry often anymore.
Congrats and Ah hah. Same loss of appetite happened to me. I did a bit of research and the IF "experts" were split on whether one should force oneself to eat when not hungry or not eat until one got hungry. I chose to eat because it just seemed so wrong not to but that's what got me into the 400-600 cals/day thing. And I didn't know I was eating such a small amount of calories until curiosity got the best of me a few months ago and I added up the daily cals for one week's worth of meals.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a year since I started the 5:2 diet and am happy to report total weight loss is currently at 15 pounds.

I found my stomach shrank and I'm a loser at buffets now (I used to be a champ at buffets, could eat anyone under the table). I force myself to eat nutritious food when I'm not hungry like cabbages, eggplants, sauteed kale etc At least that way the vitamins were being pumped in!

Happy to do this forever as I find it pretty easy! Today is a "normal" day so I had fried chicken, fries and a strawberry thickshake for dinner. I like that I'm not relegated to rabbit food for all of eternity.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the delay in answering. Was on our annual new year retreat in the middle of nowhere with slow 3G network. My doctor said she hadn't heard of intermittent fasting so we spent the majority of my appointment discussing it. I told her about Fung's books. She was very interested in doing some research and then trying IF herself. She emailed a month after my appointment to say she had started IF and was looking forward to seeing what it could do for her.
:appl: Educating one (dr.) mind at a time! Awesome. Hopefully she will have good results and spread the word.

Hope you had a great time away!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mellow, thanks for the update! And congrats on your loss.
hi501.gif

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mellow, thanks for the update! And congrats on your loss.
hi501.gif

Thanks Ellen. This has changed my life for the better. I know it's not for everyone but when it works, it is such an amazing, sustainable lifestyle choice!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ellen. This has changed my life for the better. I know it's not for everyone but when it works, it is such an amazing, sustainable lifestyle choice!
I am sure, that's why I am determined to do this instead of other weight loss avenues.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update. Still doing IF but because I've been watching IF YouTube videos before bed (somehow I find them very relaxing:mrgreen2:), I decided to give OMAD a try. I've done it for the past couple of weeks and actually find it easier than 18-6. It saves so much time and mental energy for me and I lost couple more pounds. So close to getting under 25 BMI!

How's everyone else doing with IF?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've inadvertently started doing 18:6 since the beginning of this month . It's really hot here and I didn't feel like breakfast. We'd have late lunch anyway, since the kids weren't hungry before 2 p. m. . So then they didn't necessarily need their afternoon snack time (usually fruit and veg), so I start dinner early with raw vegetables around 6 and we've eaten dinner by 7 /7.30 p. m.

So far no problem, I've never been a big breakfast eater and am less hungry at lunchtime if I don't have breakfast.

I have plain black tea in the mornings.

Now my question to @Matata and @Ellen and the other pros:

What do you do regarding supplements? I take magnesium, B vitamins , zinc and vit D if necessary according to blood work.

Can I still take those in the morning? The individual pills are rather big and if I have to take everything in one go at 2 my stomach gets upset.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you do regarding supplements? I take magnesium, B vitamins , zinc and vit D if necessary according to blood work.

Can I still take those in the morning?

Taking supplements will raise your insulin level and technically end the fast. I wouldn't worry about it though because it's a small insulin spike and shouldn't interfere with health benefit of the fast. If it's possible to space the pills out during your 6 hr. eating window, that would be preferable.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My male coworker told me he has been doing IF since lockdown in March, and has lost 20lbs!

but he was gaining sympathy weight his wife was pregnant, and now that the baby is here, they don't have time to eat because they are first time parents, and both are now losing weight due to stress of being new parents!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've inadvertently started doing 18:6 since the beginning of this month . It's really hot here and I didn't feel like breakfast. We'd have late lunch anyway, since the kids weren't hungry before 2 p. m. . So then they didn't necessarily need their afternoon snack time (usually fruit and veg), so I start dinner early with raw vegetables around 6 and we've eaten dinner by 7 /7.30 p. m.

So far no problem, I've never been a big breakfast eater and am less hungry at lunchtime if I don't have breakfast.

I have plain black tea in the mornings.

Now my question to @Matata and @Ellen and the other pros:

Can I still take those in the morning? The individual pills are rather big and if I have to take everything in one go at 2 my stomach gets upset.

I've been doing it for 6 weeks now and lost 15lbs. It is easy for me as well since I don't do breakfast. I take my vitamins with my afternoon break in fast. But this week, after years, I have a UTI and have to take 10 days of antibiotics. I can't take them without food or I will throw up immediately. There goes my fasting for now. :((

I have done two 48 hour fasts and those are pretty hard but doable.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been doing it for 6 weeks now and lost 15lbs. It is easy for me as well since I don't do breakfast. I take my vitamins with my afternoon break in fast. But this week, after years, I have a UTI and have to take 10 days of antibiotics. I can't take them without food or I will throw up immediately. There goes my fasting for now. :((

I have done two 48 hour fasts and those are pretty hard but doable.

Thank you for sharing how you take the supplements! And woo-hoo to 15 lbs. That's a LOT. :appl:

I have about 20 lbs to lose after 6 kids... Ughh

I'm sorry you're sick & on antibiotics and hope you'll be ok soon!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started doing 18/6 in March because I lost my appetite, and kept it up even as I got my appetite back. I don’t own a scale so it took me a few weeks to notice that I lost weight. Someone mentioned IF and that’s when I realized that’s what I’ve been doing.

I’ve stayed on it up except on weekends, and I finally got on a scale last week. I lost 10lbs! I’m a happy camper.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started doing 18/6 in March because I lost my appetite, and kept it up even as I got my appetite back. I don’t own a scale so it took me a few weeks to notice that I lost weight. Someone mentioned IF and that’s when I realized that’s what I’ve been doing.

I’ve stayed on it up except on weekends, and I finally got on a scale last week. I lost 10lbs! I’m a happy camper.

Haha, your tdf oec bracelet and minus ten pounds without trying are pushing you right into the same corner with my friend who constantly complains that her hair is too thick and too glossy and that she can't hold on to any weight at all, if she gains any, it'll go straight to her boobs (true story!! )

Just kidding - congrats @JPie

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t read every post so forgive me if this is repeat info. I love Dr. Fung and for an easy read motivational book on IF I really like Gin Stephens Feast, Fast, Repeat. I do 18/6 and have dropped 20 pounds. Put a lot back on during Covid as everyone was home and we were eating comfort food all waking hours! Back on track now and the weight is coming off again. I do clean fasting. No calories except during the eating window. No berries, fake sugar, etc. Just water, sparkling water or black coffee or tea.

It’s really a way of life with lots of benefits beyond weight loss! I actually enjoy everything I eat now. It’s not just a mindless activity.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, your tdf oec bracelet and minus ten pounds without trying are pushing you right into the same corner with my friend who constantly complains that her hair is too thick and too glossy and that she can't hold on to any weight at all, if she gains any, it'll go straight to her boobs (true story!! )

Just kidding - congrats @JPie

:lol: “My wallet’s too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!”

Sadly, some of the weight loss was from my boobs. I can’t afford to lose any more or I’ll need a training bra!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results